Fine Woodworking Magazine Archive 1975-2010

Review by Maddhatter posted 1186 days ago 3390 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Fine Woodworking Magazine Archive 1975-2010 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I don’t know about you, but I have wood working magazine addiction. You could say that I am a Hoarder. Woodsmith, Shop Notes, Fine Woodworking, Wood, Etc. I always found myself remembering an article, but not remembering where to find it. So probably like everyone else, I started tagging and making notes, using annual table of contents, etc. But always seemed to take more time than what I wanted to spend, looking for the article and or information.

But then, along comes Fine Woodworking Magazine Archive 1975-2010. I have been collecting FIne Woodworking for years now and always thought I would find all the back issues. Well I have found that the Archive is the way to go. I received my DVD in the mail last Thursday and I quickly installed it on my computer. The software installs the complete magazine with all the original articles and advertisements along with a thumbnail library. When you first open the software from the short cut on your desktop. you get a screen with thumbnails for each magazine. Double Clicking on the thumbnail opens the Issue selected.

You can select to view in the software and or Adobe Reader. I found the search engine a little primitive for something in this day or age, as it is mostly by keyword. I was expecting something a little more interactive. The benefit to this is that I get the chance to read and view other articles that may not have anything to do with the subject search I am doing and expose new information and or ideas. I could see one getting lost in the magazine archive as there is so much information. When performing a search, you get an option to select an exact match to the Keyword or use an and/or statement. Other selections allow for searches of Title & Sub title, Abstract, Keywords, Full Text, Author, Department, and Year. Once you have your information, all you need to do is print and go.

All in all for something that I originally was not really interested in until my wife recommended it after she watched me going like a mad man trying to find this one article, I am glad that I made the purchase. It is truly one great resource.

Now all I need to do is get the rest of my collection in an archive format and I can truly spend more time in the shop. Hope you decide to try it as well. For the money, it is a great tool for the shop.

-- Norm (AKA - The Maddhatter), Middletown DE

View Maddhatter's profile

Maddhatter

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

About .75 per issue (210 issues) buying them this way and it doesn’t require a tractor trailer to store them in. Considering the quality and quanitity of information you get, its not a bad deal. I might throw it on the Xmas list.

Just to throw it out there, American Woodworker has tons of free back issues available on Google books. 1980-1999 issues.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thankĀ“s for the rewiew Maddhatter :-)

Dennis

View Napoleon's profile

Napoleon

Bet you also save a lot of money this way

-- Boatbuilder&blacksmith

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

Thanks for the review. I have this as well, and if I had to choose only one woodworking reference, this would certainly be it. Much easier than poring through old issues to find an article.

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

when you consider that a complete set of hardcopy magazines will set you back $400-$500 dollars, (And I’ve seriously considered it!) the DVD is absolutely the best way to go. I received the DVD for Christmas; I doubt if I’ll ever refer to the print copies again. What a great idea for a review, Maddhatter! Wish I’d thought of it.

View lysdexic's profile

lysdexic

If I could import the issues/DVD to my iPad I would be all over this. Do you know if there is a way?

-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali

View redryder's profile

redryder

Google Books, now that’s interesting. That looks like another good source of information that I didn’t know existed….........

-- mike...............

View Maddhatter's profile

Maddhatter

Lysdexic, it is easy to move the individual issues to your iPad. If you click on the desktop Icon and select properties, you then opein the destination folder/data-FWW then select the issues folder. once you select the issue that you want, then open your itunes folder in Music and there select the itunes music folder, there you will see a folder called “Automatically add to itunes.

once you drag and drop the pdf file into the add folder, iTunes will put it in the books section of your Ipad. then once you sinc the iPad, and go into ibooks, it will be under the PDF tab.

good luck and enjoy.

-- Norm (AKA - The Maddhatter), Middletown DE

View Jack_T's profile

Jack_T

I too am a magazine hoarder and have been curious about the collection. I am wondering how this compares to the database that comes with an online subscription. Can anyone offer any insights other than the fact that the disc is permanent ownership of the material.

-- Jack T, John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life."

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

the different is that you can use it offline if you are at a place where there is no net
like in your garden under your best shadowtree with a good mug of coffee ….lol
and you only pay one time for the same info

Dennis

View DamnYankee's profile

DamnYankee

thanks for the review. I think I’ll add it to my gift wish list as well.

-- Shameless - Winner of two Stumpy Nubs Awards