Craftsman Digital Torpedo Level (part #948295)

Review by David Grimes posted 04-20-2011 09:05 AM 3471 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsman Digital Torpedo Level (part #948295) No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Got this today at the local Sears store. Price was $34.99. Two (2) AAA batteries required and are not included. It comes in a nice zippered case. Warranty is one year. The unit is plastic (not necessarily fragile, but not a Sherman tank), so it will need to be treated like a multimeter, a moisture meter, a thermal leak detector, or your high dollar stud finder.

Stated accuracy is +/- 0.1 degree. The unit also has bubble tubes, but after using this instrument digitally, I think mostly just to show how inaccurate bubble levels are.

It reads level and plumb and any angle in between. It has a percentage mode for plumbing or gutter fall. It also has Inch/feet mode for measuring the pitch of a roof or stairways. it beeps at 0, 45 and 90 (but can be silenced). It has a zero button for relative/absolute measurement. It has a hold button to freeze the reading (allows you to get a blind reading, hit the hold, and turn it around to look at it, etc.)

I purchased this tool for a reason, of course. I am beginning the assembly of my main work table. I have already modified a base cabinet to 38 1/2” height so that my finished top height will be 40”. The cabinet will be located on the back wall of my shop about half-way between the two side walls. The cabinet will be shimmed level with the world (not my concrete floor). I needed something to help accurately and quickly run wall cleat supports continuously along the back wall on each side of the cabinet. I want this table to be as flat and level as practically possible.

How did it do? This thing is awesome! It is (with my eye judgment) 5 to 10 times more accurate than any of my bubble levels. It’s a hell of a lot quicker (it is instantaneous), and I do not have to line my head and eyes up for visual judgement. The backlit LCD screen is very easy to see.

It is also magnetic, so I was also able to play around with attaching it to the top of my 2 and 4 foot steel bubble levels (piggyback) so that I could cover spans longer than the 8 1/4” length of the unit. Sweetness !

I like it. I like it alot. I highly recommend this digital torpedo level.

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1293 days

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#1 posted 04-20-2011 07:59 PM

Thanks for the review David, I might well be in the market for an item like this, for similar reasons.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View RobertT's profile

RobertT

#2 posted 04-21-2011 04:10 AM

I hate bubbles good to see a positive review on a tool I was on the fence about.

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#3 posted 04-21-2011 05:41 PM

I assume it is already set for 0 degrees… i.e. level? Not like the other digital gauges (e.g. Wixey) where you set the zero point from a surface reference point? If so I’m thinking this Craftsman level would be a good addition to the tool bag. Hard for me to read bubble level with my trifold eyeglasses.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

#4 posted 12-16-2011 03:47 AM

I have one and I alos love it!

-- http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915