Craftsman Automatic Power Switch

Review by David Grimes posted 04-20-2011 06:52 AM 4492 views 6 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsman Automatic Power Switch No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just purchased this item recently, but it works exactly as described and is a problem solver for me. I searched Lumberjocks to see if there was already a review. I see many references to this product, but no review. I did not know that this product even existed until about a week ago, so maybe my review will make it easier to find for future new Lumber Jocks.

I found mine for $24.99 at the local Sears store. I used a $10 off coupon and so actually paid 14.99 plus tax.

This grey plastic box plugs into a duplex receptacle (wall only) and allows the user to plug one tool (or appliance, light, etc.) into the top 3-prong plug-in, then plug up to two (2) additional devices into the lower two 3-prong plug-ins. With the “mode” rocker switch set to the on position, starting the tool that is plugged in to the top receptacle will energize the tools (or whatever) that are plugged into either or both of the lower two receptacles.

The auto switch is 120 volt and rated at 20 amps, so there are many possibilities. In my case, I have a Porta-mate 7000 that will have a wall mounted dust hood and small tool dust collection hose (2 1/2”) that I can use for whatever tool I mount onto the workstation.

For example, when I turn on the miter saw, the dedicated vacuum will turn on as well, then off when not being used. When I swap to the sander or the scroll saw, I’ll simply throw it on the rail, plug in the dust port, then the same thing: vac on when tool in use / off when not. I will probably plug my directly overhead fluorescent light in to the third receptacle and have light and vac when tools in use on the Porta-Mate.

I like this item and have already found it useful and well worth the amount paid.

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1297 days

View devann's profile

devann

#1 posted 04-20-2011 07:17 AM

Thanks for the review David. Where did you get the coupon from? I always wanted to have mitersaw with a switched and an unswitched outlet right there on thr base of the saw. Like on the back of a stereo receiver.

-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1297 days

#2 posted 04-20-2011 07:32 AM

lmao. Hope this works for you. It’s $10 coupon to spend as cash ! I tear Sears and Penney’s up with these.

View kalijah's profile

kalijah

18 posts in 2000 days

#3 posted 04-20-2011 08:17 AM

I too have that Craftsman Auto Switch and i LOVE mine! I use it with my ROS with my shop vac and a ft flourescent light fixture plugged into the bottom 2 sockets. Works like a champ!

-- If you can't do it right the first time, then when are you going to find the time to do it right the second time...

View mnguy's profile

mnguy

161 posts in 2056 days

#4 posted 04-20-2011 03:58 PM

+1 for what Barry said – I have had two, and also broke one due to my, err, rough treatment. I use it for the shop vac hooked to my miter saw. It’s a very cost effective solution.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#5 posted 04-20-2011 08:23 PM

THX. will try one.

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.

View agallant's profile

agallant

#6 posted 04-20-2011 08:44 PM

I have always wanted one of these things, now I think I will pick one up. Thank you for your review.

-AG

View Eddie Elizondo's profile

Eddie Elizondo

#7 posted 04-21-2011 12:16 AM

I got mine at the woodworking show in Houston from Whiteside. I plug in my router table and my shop vac and also use it with my ROS and shop vac. This thing works great. I was afraid that the amperage would be too high but it has worked great. I paid $20.00 for mine. I also bought some other stuff there, well okay alot of stuff. I couldn’t help myself. We don’t get this class of tools down here that often.

-- Eddie -

View GaryL's profile

GaryL

#8 posted 04-21-2011 01:38 AM

I have three of these and they have all worked flawlessly. The first one I bought is probably three years old and travels in my work trailer. Even abused it still works.

-- Gary; Marysville, MI...Involve your children in your projects as much as possible, the return is priceless.

View Don's profile

Don

#9 posted 04-27-2011 07:29 AM

I’ve had one for several years! Used it with my shop-vac on the miter saw, router table, hand router, and more recently on the drill press. One of Sears Craftsman Gems!

-- Don

View Furnitude's profile

Furnitude

#10 posted 11-22-2011 05:48 PM

Could this model be used on two power tools (table saw, planer) and one accessory (shop vac)? Or is there another model to accomplish that?

-- Mitch, http://furnitude.blogspot.com Also blog at http://www.craftsy.com/blog/author/mitch-roberson/