Great drill press if you get it on sale.

Review by kshipp posted 2365 days ago 4785 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Great drill press if you get it on sale. Great drill press if you get it on sale. Great drill press if you get it on sale. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this drill press in December and I have been really happy with it.

Here are some basic stats on it:

• HP: 3/4 Continuous, 1 1/2 Maximum
  • Volts: 120/240 (Ships wired for 120)
  • Amps: 10/5
  • RPM: 1725 (No Load)
  • Number of speeds: 16 (215 – 2720)
  • Quill Travel: 4 7/8”
  • Spindle Taper: #2 Morse Taper
  • Chuck Type: Jacobs 5/8” Keyless
  • Height: 68 1/2”
  • Depth: 28 1/2”
  • Weight: 206 lbs

The work surface easily adjusts in 4 axes. (Up and down, side to side, tilt, and rotate). I’m not real sure what the purpose of it rotating is but I suppose it would be helpful if you had a vise mounted on it or something. All of the locking features lock easily without having to wrench on them to stop movement. There is also a work support that is easy to adjust with a few thumbscrews and helps for larger pieces.

I think the quill handle is one of the best features of this drill. It is a single-handle that you can simply push to the outside and reposition it where you please. There are no other handles to get in your way and it’s easy to rotate 360 degrees when making deep holes. It shines on short holes where you can have the handle exactly where you want. I would guess there is about 16 positions for the handle. There is also a quill lock that is easy to reach and use.

The depth stop allows for precise adjustments by turning and it also has a quick release for large changes. That is a very nice feature and the measurements are marked on the rod.

I was nervous about the keyless chuck because I didn’t know how easy it would be to use. There is enough tension on the spindle that the chuck will open and close with one hand. Once you get the bit held all you have to do it make a slight twist with both hands to tighten it all the way. I was expecting to have to really twist on the knurled metal to hold the bit but it grabs securely with very little effort.

Belt tension is easy to release with a handle on the right side and locking screws on both sides. The speed adjustment is manual but very easy to do and the speed chart for different kinds of drills and material is right on the inside cover.

The worklight is nice but not a reason to purchase the press. Be advised it doesn’t take regular light bulbs but a special reflector type that costs about $5.

I thought the laser sight deserved it’s own review because it is available separately and I didn’t want it to drag this review down. You can find that review here.

The only problem I had besides the laser sight was when I got it the motor acted strange. I called Sears and they had someone out within a few days to swap the motor. Easy process and fast service.

Now about the price…... The list price on this is $529 which I think is a little high when comparing to other models. It’s usually on sale for about $475 and you can get it lower with Craftsman Club, etc. I paid $180 for this due to a website error and a lot of go round with people at Sears. I wouldn’t expect to see that deal ever again. I wouldn’t have bought it if it was $475 but I think that is a fair price for it. I’m still a student so a drill press wasn’t that high on my priority list (still need a nice table saw) but I couldn’t pass it up at that price.

The strange thing is I don’t see it on the website currently but it is in the catalog I got in the mail about 2 days ago so it must just be a website glitch. The catalog number is 009-22901N.

Overall, a very nice drill press with some premium features like the single-handle quill that make it ripe for consideration.

-- Kyle Shipp, http://battleshipp.blogspot.com

View kshipp's profile

kshipp

1 comment so far

View Woodchuck1957's profile

Woodchuck1957

I have the same drill press and I’d say it’s a good drill press even when it’s not on sale. Orion makes it, which is who makes Steel City machines. It’s not quite as nice as the Steel City 17” drill press, which I think is probably the hottest selling 17” drill press out now, but it definately holds it’s ground against the other competetors.