Tame the Waterstone Mess: A Simple Solution

Review by thiel posted 1184 days ago 2715 views 7 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tame the Waterstone Mess: A Simple Solution No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Gang,

This tray from McMaster (http://www.mcmaster.com/#food-service-trays/=bwr90d) will improve your life and make you a better person. A small one is $15 and a godzilla sized one is $35.

Here’s how:

—It is a waterproof tray whose antiskid surface will perfectly and TOTALLY immobilize a waterstone.
—The low lip on the edge of the tray is lower than the top of most waterstones, so you won’t bang your blades or hands into its edges (I have Nortons and here is plenty of room).
—When done sharpening, just carry it—and your waterstones—to the sink for a quick dip.
—The tray is thin enough to slip into a small space behind my shop cabinets… easy to get off the bench and clear up some space!

The long and the short of it is that my waterstones sit FIRMLY on this tray, and I can line them up right after each other with plenty of room. When I’m done sharpening, the mess has been contained to the tray and it’s an easy trip to the sync to rinse off the swarf (and blood!) that results from a successful sharpening session.

I also keep one under my wet grinder, which both captures the mess and makes the machine easier to move for those weekend sharpening expeditions.

It’s such a stupidly simple solution that I thought I should share.

—Thiel

(Photo from McMaster.com)

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View thiel's profile

thiel

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thankĀ“s for the iea and rewiew :-)

Dennis

Chelios

Thanks for sharing. I had been thinking about this problem for a while and I think this will do the job.

Chelios

Put my order in , thanks again

Happy Spring my friend : ) Thanks for sharing this great tip with us !

View ChrisForthofer's profile

ChrisForthofer

Love it, must have one. Thanks for sharing

-- -Director of slipshod craftsmanship and attention deficit woodworking

View pjones46's profile

pjones46

Super idea, thanks.

-- God is great, the Beer is good and people are Crazy. www.pauljoneswoodworks.com

View thiel's profile

thiel

BTW… to immobilize the tray itself (which has a smooth bottom) you can do any of the following:

—clamp it down
—put a non-skid mat underneath
—put it on top of bench cookies (nice riser to save your back!)
—put a wet paper towel or rag flat underneath it
—put it up against a wall and apply your midsection to keep it there. (This is my method.)

Enjoy!

—Thiel

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

I have a large baking pan which does the same thing.
Flea market special.
The non skid mat underneath works great.

-- Having fun...Eric

View bigike's profile

bigike

Good review and thanks for the link on where to get the product/products from a lot of people don’t add that to their reviews.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View fzxtchr's profile

fzxtchr

If you are looking for a similar product for fewer $$, look at this one, or at others on this site:

David

Chelios

Got mine yesterday and it works like a charm. Thanks again!