Dewalt D55140 oil-free compressor

Review by phtools posted 1199 days ago 4657 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dewalt D55140 oil-free compressor No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This compressor is fairly powerful, when it works… if you’ll notice, a lot of people have problems with this unit quitting working after a certain amount of time, and here’s the reason and the fix for those who are at all curious…

There’s something wrong with the way this unit draws power, which causes a short in the circuit board. The board gets overloaded if you leave it on, and the fuse blows. No fuse means the unit stops working completely. You can replace the fuse (I believe it’s a 5 amp fuse) on the inside – but it will blow again after a matter of time (like I said, a defect in the circuitry…)

It is something of a pain to open this compressor up and work on it. I installed a plate on the outside that holds the bottom plastic back together, and removed the stock compression clamps on the hoses and replaced those with screw down hose clamps. Now the unit is easier to open than it was before..but it is still something of a nuisance to open it up and fix it.

To fix this (somewhat) permanently, I soldered wire on either side of the circuit board, and moved the fuse to the outside of the unit. The fuse is now accessable directly on the ouside of the case (between the tank and the knobs) – and when it blows, I can simply replace it with another fuse for about $0.80.

A more permanent solution would be to put a 5A breaker on the outside, so you just have to flip a switch when it pops…but I haven’t gotten to that point yet.

.......even with this fix, I would still reccomend staying away from this compressor. It IS ultra portable and when it’s working it’s great for trim and light work, but who wants to open up an air compressor to fix something that should have been either caught by Quality Control or recalled entirely?

If you are looking for a more powerful compressor, with a 4.5 gallon tank, then check the Dewalt D55146 oil-free compressor . Amazon has quite a few reviews from people who bought this product.

-- http://www.myphtools.com

View phtools's profile

phtools

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1914 days

I have the 55146 and have been really happy with it. It is a solid workhorse and provides plenty of air for the nailers that I use.

With the 200PSI cut out and 160PSI cut on, well it provides all the air for my framing nailer with no stair stepping of nails, toe nailing or straight even when it reaches the 160 cut on. Nice.

View Resurrected's profile

Resurrected

I hate to stir but this seems bias since you sell tools. I always thought the reveiws were for users of the tools. Not someone making a living. Maybe this is Lumberjocks new route their takin and its not good.

-- Who can I block now???????????????????????

View  Box 's profile

Box

4937 posts in 1910 days

Seems like an advertisement to me also. Reviews on 3 different compressors.

View juniorjock's profile

juniorjock

1930 posts in 2367 days

I was going to ask how you were able to diagnose something like this, but Res. pretty much answered the question before I asked. I agree, not the place for reviews written by retail business. Might be a little different if you had posted something (anything) besides reviews.
- JJ

How can you give this 5 stars is my question ???
Definitely a salesman…it’s broke , but it’s perfect !!! WTF ?

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

I bought the 2 gallon version of this compressor on Amazon as a factory refurbished item. It lasted for the break-in period only. Then wouldn’t start. It was fixed on Dewalt’s dime but took 3 weeks. I got it back and after a year it started leaking. The valve in it was corroded beyond belief when I took it apart. It was not from my usage since I drain it after every use (usually a matter of hours). I found the part online and replaced it and now it is going strong. So I paid half price but also had to put in twice the effort to get this thing running well. I do like it now, it is portable and quiet enough. I don’t use it for more than brads and staples.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

View Steven H's profile

Steven H

-- shdesign3.com

View LyallAndSons's profile

LyallAndSons

I’m new so I don’t know the drill with reviews here but I can tell you I owned 2 of these. The first one died just a described above. I exchanged it at Lowe’s and made it about 1 1/2 months on the next one. It started leaking at the cylinder head. I took it back and, after a little growling with the manager, got the refund on a gift card. I now have a Porter-Cable. It only puts out about 150psi but I run my nailers at about 85-90 so it’s more than enough. It’s been going strong for a couple of years now. I spend several hours a day in the shop 5-6 days a week. It’s mostly just used for driving brads/staples and a burst of air to clean powder from ROS paper.

The review is spot on with the two I had indifferant of the author. I suspected mine were flukes but seem to be fairly common. FWIW I loved the little compresor when it was running. I just couldn’t keep it doing so.

-- Lyall & Sons Woodsmiths...Custom handcrafted woodwork since 1989

View dennis mitchell's profile

dennis mitchell

A gave up on Dewalt compressers. I need more than two years out of a tool. Kinda soured me on Dewalt. I love their 10” saw. Never a problem. Compressers and jig saws…never again.