Makita MAC5200 3 HP Air compressor

Review by phtools posted 1192 days ago 10273 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makita MAC5200 3 HP Air compressor No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this compressor as a replacement for a 26Gal 5HP husky I had. There was nothing wrong with the Husky it was simply that my space could not accommodate it. I intended to use this as a homeowner who always has a project and as someone who uses compressed air for multiple purposes. I did alot of research and narrowed it down to either the MAC5200 or the DeWalt D55146. I decided on the Makita because of the lower price and the oil lubricated pump. The reason oil lubrication was important is because of the noise factor, which brings me to my first complaint, the NOISE. The noise from this compressor, while not as bad as an oil free is significantly louder than the bigger 5hp Husky i had previously. Although noise is always rated in decibels, most people cant relate that to everyday sound. I will use what i call yelling level, if you can talk normally over the device it is quiet, if you have to yell at someone 2 feet away its loud. This compressor leans more toward the latter. Its not the worst but its not like a normal quiet oil lubricated pump. This is not something that would prevent me from buying it again its just worth mentioning that the “quiet” as advertised is not all that quiet. Second is the CFM. Rated at 6.5 CFM 90psi .I would say is optimistic. My old Husky was 5.9 90 and it held its pressure longer without a doubt, perhaps this is because of the bigger tank but from what i understand CFM is CFM, 6.5 should be greater than 5.9, right? Having said all that the compressor arrived on time and without any damage. I signed up for Amazon prime so it came in two days for free which is insane. When FedEx arrived i had to help the woman unload it because it was too heavy for her to handle alone. FYI the term “portable” refers more to the wheels not the weight (86lbs). All said and done this thing is a good compressor that seems to be built very solid and well thought out. This Makita fills up faster than most small compressors i have seen in the past. The fold down handle works well and the small integrated storage compartment is a useful addition for blow gun storage or other small accessories. The handle also incorporates a hose wrap and there is small hooks on the side to wind the power cord around which is nice so its not getting caught or having to be wrapped around the tank and such. Overall I am happy with this purchase and would say it is a good buy.

Think this is to powerfull for your needs? The Makita MAC2400 has 2.5 HP and can be a better pick for some users. There is also the MAC700 with only 2 HP.

-- http://www.myphtools.com

View phtools's profile

phtools

View Resurrected's profile

Resurrected

I hate to stir but this seems bias since you sell tools. I always thought the reveiws were for users of the tools. Not someone making a living. Maybe this is Lumberjocks new route their takin and its not good.

-- Who can I block now???????????????????????

How many compressors do you need at home ?
You reviewed three of them and they’re all 5 star units with problems

View devann's profile

devann

He’s trying to sell you one Dusty. Ask him how many projects he has built with it.

-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with

LOL , devann : )

View Florida_Jim's profile

Florida_Jim

Everyone of his seven posts was a review of something that “Phtools” sells!!!

View FMG's profile