Makita MAC700 2 HP Air Compressor

Review by phtools posted 04-16-2011 12:43 PM 11630 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makita MAC700 2 HP Air Compressor No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

First of all, this is a good product overall. If you are going to buy one, or just have, you might benefit from the following setup tips:

1. The oil filler cap is a single piece, consisting of the cap and attached tube. It may look like you can separate the cap from the tube, but don’t bother to try. Simply screw the whole piece into the threaded oil filler opening. No need to tighten too hard. Finger tight plus a bit more will be more than sufficient. You will not need to remove this cap to check oil level, only to add oil as may be needed. Use the sight glass below the filler cap to check oil levels.
2. The silver air filter housing screws in easily to the motor. Don’t over-tighten. The outside can rotate simply by loosening the wing nut. I put a piece of cheesecloth over the inlet and secure with a twist-tie or rubber band. This can help prevent larger pieces of sawdust or ambient debris from clogging the filter. Check to be sure the air supply is not overly restricted if you do this. If the unit builds up pressure again within several seconds after bleeding, you are OK.
3. The unit will recycle at about 95 pounds of pressure, and will cut off at about 125. Usually very quick to do this.
4. Be certain to add oil as described in the manual and run for about 30 minutes to break in. The oil may look bubbly or frothy in the sight glass, but that is not a problem.
5. After breaking in, if not already set, dial in 90psi on the pressure regulator. Turn the red ring inward several turns to give leeway in turning the outer black dial. Then with the tank pressure up, turn the black dial left or right until the gauge needle sits on 90. When done, turn the smaller red ring leftward until it gently seats against the larger black dial. This will provide a ‘stop’ at 90psi, which should be the greatest pressure you will need in general use.
6. This compressor is best used for nailers and inflation, and air tools which don’t use a constant large volume of air to run. Tools like a dual-action sander use so much air that a unit like this Mac700 will have to constantly run to attempt to keep up. Not good. Avoid tools needing more than 90psi/3.3cfm to operate properly.
7. As to noise, this unit isn’t bad at all. If you aren’t too familiar with compressors, don’t expect whisper-level operation; it’s still a compressor after all, and will make some noise in recycling. It’s just better than some others.

All in all, a very good product.

For a more powerfull air compressor (2.5 HP), I heard that the MAC2400 big bore is really great. Amazon has a lot of good reviews on this product.

-- http://www.myphtools.com

View phtools's profile

phtools

View lysdexic's profile

lysdexic

#1 posted 04-16-2011 03:20 PM

I notice that Amazon mixes and combines the customer reviews for both the MAC700 and the MAC2400. This certainly makes it difficult to differentiate the two. it is interesting that the 2400 is rated @ 79dB and the 700 is rated at 80dB.

I appreciate your review as I am in the market for a small shop/DIY compressor.

-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali

View Resurrected's profile

Resurrected

#2 posted 04-16-2011 04:11 PM

I hate to stir but this seems bias since you sell tools. I always thought the reveiws were for users of the tools. Not someone making a living. Maybe this is Lumberjocks new route their takin and its not good.

-- Who can I block now???????????????????????

View chickenguru's profile

chickenguru

#3 posted 04-16-2011 04:28 PM

I bought the same one about 6 months ago and it very nice. Its quiet mind you kinda heavy (I think 54 lbs )not that portable but I dont mind that. I also last weekend used a impact gun to take snow tires off and it worked better than I thought. It removed 3 nuts fast and had to wait a minute for it to fill the tank back up. Like I sais better than I thought seeing how this is in my driveway. Going to install a a line from my basement shop so I can hook up outside without moving the compressor. I dont regret buying this compressor.

View devann's profile

devann

#4 posted 04-16-2011 06:22 PM

I’m with Resurrected. I’d like to hear from someone that has been using the tool for a while.
Just looking at this model I’d reject it because it’s a single tank. With a twin tank stacked one on top of the other and plumbed properly you’ll have a wet tank ,the one on bottom that the compressor is piped to and a dryer tank, the one that you have the regulater hooked up to. The nail guns work better with the dryer air, and gravity makes the the bottom tank wetter. I’ve noticed the difference between the two when I drain them. Beware I’ve seen Hitachi get it backwards, something to think about.

-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with

View PCM's profile

PCM

#5 posted 04-17-2011 03:50 AM

I’ve had this compressor for two years. I bought it because of noise issues. It is a pleasure to use but not a pleasure to move being somewhat heavy. It is very quite for a compressor. I can comfortably run it in my basement shop without disturbing the family. Additionally, the prior oiless compressor (Devilbus) was obnoxiously noisy and I dreaded using it. I agree that its best used for nailers and inflation, not constant fill air tools. Overall, I am extremely satisfied with this product.

View chickenguru's profile

chickenguru

#6 posted 04-18-2011 05:13 PM

Just did brother in laws snow tires on sunday and worked all 5 lug nuts this time with no waiting. I did install a knot/tangle free hose that was 25 ft longer hose maybe that helped from doing 3 or the torque was a bit less. Anyways I like it and would buy again. Bought at home Depot at 20% off.

View Tyler's profile

Tyler

#7 posted 04-18-2011 09:51 PM

I have this compressor and have been very happy with it. Noise levels are good and will run a framing nailer without too much problems. If you’re framing and going fast, it will cycle every 4-5 nails, but great for smaller projects with a finish nailer.

View flatthead's profile

flatthead

#8 posted 04-19-2011 05:07 PM

If I were going from jobsite to jobsite every day I might consider getting a cheap dewalt since their so light, and just buy another when it breaks down. But otherwise there’s no comparison to the makita. I did my homework on this one and one of the biggest differences is that the Makita compressors have a cast iron cylinder chamber, not aluminum, in the pump, and the Makita pump also has a bigger piston (they call it Big bore). This makes the pump recover faster and i’ve definitely noticed the difference with the mac2400 I picked up. the MAC700 has the same cast iron parts as the mac2400 so you can’t go wrong with either one.

View pitchnsplinters's profile

pitchnsplinters

#9 posted 08-15-2011 04:54 AM

I have this compressor & the MAC4200. I don’t use large volumes of air so I nixed the idea of purchasing a “large” upright in lieu of these two workhorses. I purchased the 4200 first and found it to be WAY to heavy to make it practical as a portable compressor, so it stays put in my shop on a custom wheeled base. The 2400 is my portable compressor. While it is in the shop it finds a home on the opposite side of the room from the 4200 so air is never far away.

These compressors are extremely quiet and cycle quickly. Great tools.

-- Just 'cause a cat has kittens in the oven, it don't make 'em biscuits.

View Garry's profile

Garry

#10 posted 01-04-2014 10:42 PM

I also have the MAC700 and I’m very happy with mine.

-- Garry, North Carolina woodworker and engineer - The journey you're preparing for has already begun.