Rockler Exotic Cutoffs 10 lbs. Assortment

Review by BreakingBoardom posted 04-15-2011 05:51 AM 3013 views 0 times favorited 29 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler Exotic Cutoffs 10 lbs. Assortment No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So with money being tight lately and starting to work on some smaller projects, I decided to take the plunge and buy a 10 lbs. box of assorted exotic cutoffs. The reviews on the Rockler site have been mixed with some happy and some unhappy. I guess what it probably boils down to is what your expectations are going in. I was expecting some small pieces of exotic species that I wouldn’t otherwise be able to afford separately. Others said the boxes were mostly Purpleheart and Padauk which was fine since those were the two I wanted the most. So, if you are somewhat realistic in your expectations and have some small projects that could use some exotics for accent pieces, then this would be a good deal. Especially if you get it with free shipping like I did. So, I would recommend this box. Its a great way to try out some exotics and see which ones you like before you buy large amounts. Hope this helps everyone else.

Rockler Exotic Cutoffs 10 lbs. Assortment

#1 posted 04-15-2011 07:25 AM

Looks slick, but once you throw in shipping and tax, $30 is pushing it a little. Makes me wonder if the local Woodcraft does the same thing.. Thanks for the review!

#2 posted 04-15-2011 08:14 AM

Yeah, like I said I waited for Free Shipping. And tax was only like $2. I don’t have any local Rocklers or Woodcrafts for like 150 miles or so. Online was the only way to go for me.

View kayakdude's profile

kayakdude

#3 posted 04-15-2011 02:56 PM

look good but i like to buy some of my wood at thewoodrack.com the guy there is real good on the prices and the price are on the web site for you to look at or try you area saw mile or look for ragh sawn wood and plain it your self . woodcrafter is nice but don’t carry everthing at a savings .

-- kayakdude

View Cosmicsniper's profile

Cosmicsniper

#4 posted 04-15-2011 03:05 PM

Our Woodcraft in Dallas does the same thing. Haven’t done it yet, but I think you can find such things in your local stores.

-- jay, www.allaboutastro.com

#5 posted 04-15-2011 11:38 PM

Do they take the time to identify /label the species for you ?
Thanks for saving me $30 : )

#6 posted 04-16-2011 12:19 AM

No, they do not label the species. It’s more like when they finish filling custom orders they have scraps of exotics and put them all in one big bin. Taking time to label them would be inefficient and a waste in their eyes. Then they put 10 lbs. worth in a box and ship it out when they have an order. And I know many may have seen this product and been skeptical as there generic photo is sketchy. I figured a pic of what one actually received could help some people. And also, since they don’t label them, I am unsure of what some of the species are and have a forum topic going with some more pics trying to identify them if anyone can help. Even as unknowns though, I’ll still find a use for them.

View Jack_T's profile

Jack_T

#7 posted 04-16-2011 07:31 AM

A very informative review. Thank you.

-- Jack T, John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life."

#8 posted 04-16-2011 04:45 PM

It’s hard to believe that what is pictured actually weighs 10 pounds.
Thanks for the info and have a great weekend : )

#9 posted 04-19-2011 04:50 PM

For my birthday, Rockler sent me a nice coupon.. Guess what I spent it on?

#10 posted 04-19-2011 05:15 PM

Nice. If you get a chance Dan, post some pics of what came in yours so we can see the variety in boxes. Thanks.

View Rocksteady's profile

Rocksteady

#11 posted 04-22-2011 09:57 PM

I got this same box a few months ago and I’m satisfied with what I got. I really wanted a few different woods to work with without spending a ton. I got alot of turning blocks, which aren’t that useful to me but can be cut down. I’m using the peices for inlays on stools and they will provide nice accents on a lot fo projects.

There were a few split pieces that weren’t real great, but I expected that with a box of what is essentially cutoffs.

-- It's just my opinion, but wood should look like wood.

#12 posted 04-22-2011 09:58 PM

FYI.. I bought a second shipment with the 20% earth day coupon they sent around… I’m kinda getting excited now that I’ve seen the shipping notification

#13 posted 04-23-2011 04:18 AM

Lots of reddish wood.. varies in grain pattern and color, so I’m guessing that there might be two species that are reddish

Also, PH, ebony, and some other good stuff. Lot of thin (1/8” thick or so) pieces..

View Dark_Lightning's profile

Dark_Lightning

#14 posted 04-23-2011 04:33 AM

Well, Dan, that’s a lot nicer than the cutoffs I got. I guess it really is a mixed-bag product. I ended up with stuff like the last 3/4” from a 2 by 6 of some nice wood. Set that one on fire. Maybe this stuff has improved based on customer feed back, I dunno. Your kit is about 100 times better than what I got. Mind you, I probably got my $10 worth, by the rules.

Now I think on it, I’ll post photos (probably fuzzy, as usual) of my sample box here for comparison. Tomorrow, if I can find the thread. I’ve been up for 17 hours already, I’m getting punchy.

View papadan's profile

papadan

1153 posts in 2027 days

#15 posted 04-23-2011 05:46 AM

I have gotten a couple of those boxes from the local Woodcraft. Lots of nice small pieces in them. Dan, your 2 reds are Bubinga and Padouk.

-- Carpenter assembles with hands, Designer builds with brains, Artist creates with heart!