Grizzly G0453Z

Review by Scott H. posted 04-15-2011 03:06 AM 7322 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0453Z No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased the Grizzly G0453 15” planer with the spiral head cutter. It works like a dream! There is some snipe on the front of the board “at times” which is to be expected. I just make sure that the board is a little longer than what I need for the finished board. The snipe isn’t that deep. Most of the time it takes only a little sanding and it disappears.

It was packed very well for shipping. It was actually in a wood crate. After I unpacked it, I used one roll of paper towels and several rags to remove the grease that was on all the unpainted surfaces for shipping to protect it from rust. I then installed the in and out feed wings, dust hood, table height adjustment hand wheel and the foot pedal and caster. Yes, There was a lot of grease to clean off the machine. Though there was no rust… It’s always better to have too much than not enough and they didn’t go sparingly.

After it was assembled I then checked the gearbox and added Lucas 80-90 weight gear oil, about 1 pint. I then put several drops of SAE 30W to the center of the feed roller bushings. I also oiled the drive chain and table height chains as per the manual.

I was then ready for the test run. No vibration or loud unusual noises. After checking everything over I then proceeded to make the first run with a board. SMOOTH AS SILK!!! No adjustments were needed to any of the rollers. The planer noise is nothing like The planers we used in high school! It is soooooo quiet for a planer.

Their customer service is phenomenal! Any time I have a question, they have no problem talking to me! I needed some touch up paint for my band saw that “I” put a small scratch on, they sent it to me free of charge. I also have a 1023SL table saw and a G0513X2 17” band saw both from Grizzly . I still need a jointer and “YES” it will be a Grizzly! Grizzly has another fan for life! I would like to thank everyone who helped me to make my decision on the planer!

-- The Lord guides my way. Though sometimes I stray, I know he is always with me!

View Scott H.'s profile

Scott H.

View RandyMorter's profile

RandyMorter

#1 posted 04-15-2011 05:19 PM

Congratulations on your purchase and thanks for the review! I’d really like to have that big of a planer – I’m jealous.

-- Randy Morter, Phoenix, AZ

View Gary777's profile

Gary777

82 posts in 2063 days

#2 posted 04-15-2011 07:16 PM

I agree, I love my Grizzly G1023 Table saw, my GO452 Jointer and my G0458 drum sander! for the money you can’t beat these Grizzly’s!

-- Gary - Carson City, NV - "Every man looks upon his wood pile with a sort of affection." — Henry David Thoreau

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#3 posted 04-15-2011 09:25 PM

Planer envy!

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View Yupa4242's profile

Yupa4242

116 posts in 2066 days

#4 posted 04-17-2011 04:25 AM

Wow that model is closer to the unit I used in the ole window factory I bet it’s a dream compared to my 1/16” per cut jet portable. DROOL…

-- "If the Universe is Infinite, Then all dreams are real."

View dannmarks's profile

dannmarks

#5 posted 10-22-2016 04:43 PM

WELL, I have purchased many Grizzly Tools in my life and I have always been a big fan of theirs. However most items were purchased about thirty years ago. I have been looking at this planer for the last year and I have today gotten out the debit card to go forward on the purchase.

Because you wrote”added Lucas 80-90 weight gear oil, about 1 pint. I then put several drops of SAE 30W to the center of the feed roller bushings. I also oiled the drive chain and table height chains as per the manual.”

I will have that on hand when it arrives. That and some rags and paint thinner to remove the rust inhibitor. Question: Can two people assemble this without mechanical lifts?