Now's the time to get a dust collector!

Review by StumpyNubs posted 1202 days ago 8721 views 0 times favorited 57 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Now's the time to get a dust collector! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This collector has been reviewed several times here so I won’t go into to much of the details. The reason i am reviewing it now is because I got the latest issue of “Wood” magazine and there’s a coupon in it for this collector. You can get it with that coupon for just $150 (that’s $100 off the regular price). And it is every bit as good as the VASTLY more expensive Jet and Grizzly models with similar specs.

Here’s why I love this collector…

1. Price, especially if you’re just getting started in woodworking.
2. Power- It’s rated at 2 HP and 3450 CFM (That may be a bit inflated)
3. Versatility- You can roll it around the shop, or mount it in a corner and hook it to a system of ducts for a central collection system.
5. Filtration- 5 Microns are good at this price range, but if you want better you can easily upgrade it.

If you’re using a shop vac to collect dust, now’s the time to upgrade to a LOT better for a LOT less. I know, I sound like a Harbor Freight salesman, but I LOVE this dust collector! (It’s on sale in the store for $190, but the Wood magazine coupon is $150, so go buy an issue of the magazine for $5 and save another $35)

Here’s a link to it on the HF website: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html

View Howie's profile

Howie

Stumpy,look for the coupons for 129.00.

-- Life is good.

View therookie's profile

therookie

Great reveiw I am saving for one now.

-- http://aewoodworks.webs.com

View degoose's profile

degoose

6980 posts in 1958 days

I think you mean 3450 RPM… it is rated at 1550 CFM but I would think this is with no attachments…Possibly more likely 1200 CFM… which is OK as long as you run only one machine at a time…
I also suggest upgrading to a pleated top filter of 1 micron… you will not see the dust that does the harm escape from 5 micron cloth bags.

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View Pop's profile

Pop

Deke, the standard ampage for a 2 hp motor on 120 VAC is 15 amps. It can run on a 20 amp circuit.

Pop

-- One who works with his hands is a laborer, his hands & head A craftsman, his hands, head & heart a artist

StumpyNubs

Degoose, Pop, etc- Yes, that was an error. It is RATED at 2HP and 1550 CFM. But according to a review I once read in Shopnotes or something like that, every dust collector on the market is rated according to no ducts, no filter, sometimes just the impeller spinning. The ACTUAL performance is usually about half what the manufacturer says. Same with Jet, Grizzly, Onieda, Delta- all of them.

I’ve never measured this one, but I have no problem collecting all the chips from all the machines with 4” ducts and blast gates. My duct system is complex and runs all over the shop to all machines, but it is well planned. I figure this is a great collecctor for most every woodworker out there. But if you run a big, industrial shop, this is not for you.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

366 posts in 2035 days

My only question is how a shipping weight of 101 lbs, arrives at your house at 103 lbs. Does this eat dust all the time, even while in shipment? Seriously, I’d get one myself, if it weren’t for the fact that the shop it would fit in for me is still in dream phase. Nice to see HF get nothing but glowing reviews on their products. I’ve had mixed results from worthless small clamps to just the right price on a close quarter angle grinder I use on my bowls.

Thanks for the update and price notice.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View PCM's profile

PCM

I have this machine with a 0.5 micron pleated filter. It has plenty of cfm to deal with any single machine. I truly think its a bargain, however I doubt it would work as well for long runs. I would also recommend a wireless remote switch.

View woodworkerscott's profile

woodworkerscott

I have this dust collector and love it. I bought it two years ago and have used it heavily. I absolutely recommend this unit. Check your favorite magazines, including American Rifleman and American Hunter (NRA mags), for Harbor Freight coupons!

-- " 'woodworker'.....it's a good word, an honest word." - Sam Maloof

View mfike's profile

mfike

Deke, I don’t think their 2 horsepower motor is truly 2 horsepower. It’s probably closer to 1.5 hp. It’s not just harbor freight that does this. There are a lot of companies that claim higher h.p. motors on their equipment. Sometimes you can simply check the amp rating on the motor to tell what the true h.p. is. I don’t remember the math to figure h.p. from amp rating, but it’s pretty simple. Most people I’ve talked to about it say that a true 2 hp motor will not run on 110v.

View bubinga's profile

bubinga

I think that’s a great deal ,but It will not do as good a job as my Grizzly 2hp 220v ,DC
On top of that it costs close to the some as it did 15 years ago

Description Copied from Griz
Price: $269.95
Freight: $74.00
Your Price:
* $343.95

This one of our top sellers and for good reasons. We have been selling this unit for years and it has proven itself in thousands of shops around the country. We have added a 2.5 micron top bag as standard equipment to capture the fine dust particles that normally end up all over your shop. We buy these units direct in huge quantities with no middleman and pass the savings on to you.
•Motor: 2HP, 220V, single-phase, 3450 RPM
•Motor amp draw: 12 Amps (220V only)
•Air suction capacity: 1550 CFM
•Static pressure: 11”
•6” inlet has removable “Y” fitting with two 4” openings
•Impeller: 12-3/4” balanced steel, radial fin
•Bag capacity: 5.7 cubic feet
•Upper bag filtration: 2.5 micron
•Portable base size: 21-1/4” x 33-1/2”
•Bag size (dia. x depth): 19” x 33”
•Powder coated paint
•Height with bags inflated: 78”
•Approximate shipping weight: 123 lbs.

-- E J ------- Always Keep a Firm Grip on Your Tool

StumpyNubs

PCM- It works on long runs as good as any similarly rated collector. I use it on long runs with a complex duct system- not hooked up to one machine. And it works just fine.

Bubinga- I’ve never tried the Grizzly you refer to. Have you tried the Central Machinery one I am referring to? It has identical specs to the Grizzly and I have absolutely no complaints with it. BUT- It is possible that the Grizzly will move more air because the impeller might be slightly larger. However you pay $200 more for that difference, which isn’t worth it for a lot of small shops.

Nobody claims that there isn’t a bigger or better collector out there. But NOT AT THIS PRICE!

View Recut's profile

Recut

I just finished reading an article (I “think” woodworkers magazine) that said Jet has modified their design of this collector. Not a whole lot, but enough that it looks like they need to get rid of the old ones. They have added a “cone” internally to improve the power without an increase in HP. Either way, the new price seems like quite a bargain to me.

Good Luck and have a happy dust free day!

-- Jim, Richmond Virginia - Plan your work - Work your plan.

View Cosmicsniper's profile

Cosmicsniper

Thanks for the review, Stumpy.

I just finished putting mine together and flipping the switch for the first time last night. It’s really an amazing value and better in quality that I thought it would be. Not loud at all and hums right along.

I’ll review this myself at some point, but just some additional advice…

- You’ll need to purchase your own bolts/nuts/lock washers for it since mine didn’t come with all you need to assemble it. I used 3/4” 5/16 hex bolts instead of the M10 they partially supplied.
- The instructions are funny. It instructs you to assemble only two of the three upright supports and tells you to put the filter AND the bag on before the handle (the handle has to be first to tighten the inside nuts).
- You will need to duct tape the y-fitting onto the intake as it fits too loosely.

Initially, I just have a 14 ft. 4” flex hose (from Rockler) on it, but I can tell it will be all I need for my garage shop.

-- jay, www.allaboutastro.com

View brtech's profile

brtech

Please, if you don’t upgrade the bag on the HF to a .5 micron canister, then wear a respirator when you cut. The fines in the dust really are bad for you.

I have the HF (and a Wynn filter), and think this is the very best deal in dust collection. I have no doubt the Griz is slightly better, but not $200 better, and the HF does the job for me.

I also recommend a Thein baffle. You can mount it INSIDE the DC, or put it in a trash can collector before the DC. The former is best for a space constrained shop, the latter keeps big chips from hitting the impeller.

It’s the ducting that makes the real difference. For this DC, 5” main mounted instead of the “Wye” is the best, with 4” drops, but 5” duct is hard to find/expensive. Most of us go with 4” duct all the way. Best is hard duct, with no 90 degree bends, instead use two 45s with a short section of straight pipe. Use wyes, not tees. You can use 26 ga metal or S&D PVC. Flex duct works, but keep the total length short (like 10’ or less if it’s straight to the tool, or 2-3’ if it’s joining a hard duct to the tool.

View wiswood2's profile

wiswood2

I have had my grizzly for 15 years and never a hint of trobble.I also recomend a remote stwich.
Chuck