Tables, chairs and more

Review by MsDebbieP posted 1201 days ago 1816 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tables, chairs and more No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This review was first posted in the April, 2011 issue of the LumberJocks’ eMag

Fox Chapel Publishing recently sent me another book to review and offer for a free draw: Outdoor Furniture by the Editors at Skills Institute Press.

With the books’ chapters including chairs, benches, tables, swings and gliders and garden projects, Outdoor Furniture pretty much has everything covered for outdoor furnishings. Besides the projects themselves the book focuses on how to build furniture that will hold up in the outdoors.

For me, with having just basic woodworking skills, I found this book to be “one up” from my abilities – taking the cut and join building that I am used to into the fine woodworking realm. With excellent photos, drawings, and directions provided, this is a wonderful book for, not only someone who wants to build some outdoor furniture, but also for those who want to try their hand at some finer woodworking skills.

My Ratings of The Book
Layout and Appearance: Good balance of photos, plans and instructions. Thumbs Up!
Instructions: Clear step-by-step instructions and patterns. Thumbs Up!
Projects Selection: Great variety – from easier and complex difficulty
Inspiration: a wonderful variety of projects. Thumbs Up!
Overall: Thumbs Up!

WIN A FREE BOOK

One random draw winner will receive a copy of the book.
To enter your name in the draw, click here and answer the two easy questions.

Deadline: May 10, 2011

Another big thank-you to Fox Chapel Publishing for their continued donation of books for free draws here at LumberJocks.com.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

Thanks Debbie, this is something I might need for my vacation house. Gotta update my LJ book list this weekend, there have been some book reviews in the last few months after a long dry spell

Jim

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

good luck with the draw!
(and thanks re: review list)

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

OK, after you said that, I went and entered the draw…......(-:

Frequently, I leave these things for others…...I think you understand.

So I get home from the office, (a very rough couple of weeks….......plunked my wife and mother-in-law on the plane this morning to go down and set up the new vacation house in La Conner, Washington….....due south of you….....I suspect). I go down to Washington a week from now.

So I get out of the car, start walking through the door….......and hear a hissing sound…....and the smell of hot water.

Investigate.

There is a pinhole leak in the copper pipe coming out of the hot water heater. Water, could be worse, but had soaked the edge of some good plywood large cutoffs, the bottoms of some clamps that didn’t have a home yet…..(too long).........but they would be unaffected.

So out comes the electrician’s tape, wrap that 3/4” copper pipe with the tape about 7 times…....ran back the small storage area off the garage where I keep plumbing supplies, and found the proper size pipe clamp. Ran back, and tightened that sucker down with my new Bosch 18V iimpact tool. Stopped the leak cold.

Hmmmmmm…....points for the shop tools and the DIYer of the house…....

..........now I got the momentum for some big time tools at the vacation house….....(-:

Plumber is coming tomorrow….....in Fairbanks, lived there in the pipeline days for 8 years, I would have fixed it myself….....but this involves draining the hot water tank…......way too messy for my fastidious soul. I vacuumed up the water, everything is now fine.

Glad it was today, rather than a week from now, when I will be in Washington state…........

I suspect….....you understand and appreciate this, down there in BC from here…....up there from the vacation house…

Have a good one….....

..........think I will purloin this for a silly blog….........(-:

Jim

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View mafe's profile

mafe

Looking good!
This might have to be a future investment.
Best thoughts,