Rockwell Drill/Driver Set

Review by Philip posted 1187 days ago 6171 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockwell Drill/Driver Set No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought the Rockwel 12V Drill/Driver set from Amazon about three weeks ago for $145. I replaced an old 18V drill, because I got tired of paying $70 for new batteries about once a year. The Rockwell comes with a lifetime free replacement on the batteries. I called the company to find out what you have to do to get replacement batteries and was told you have to mail them your old batteries and pay shipping for the new batteries. They said shipping and handling would be $6.71 to Arizona. The customer service center is located in North Carolina.

So far I love these new tools. They are not as bulky as an 18V drill and are a lot lighter. They fit in the hand comfortably. The 12V lithium batteries fully charge in 30 minutes. They both have lights that come on when you pull the trigger. The driver is an impact with a quick release bit holder and the drill has an adjustable clutch.

After three weeks of occasional use without charging they still have plenty of power. I screwed two 3 1/2” #9 screws (the largest I had on hand) through two 2×4’s with no problem with both the driver and the drill. I then looked around to see what else I had to test them on and the only thing that I could find that would be tough were the lug nuts on my truck (torqued to the specified 100 lb. ft.). I tried to break the lug nuts free with the driver, but then would not budge (not that I expected them too).

So far my only complaint is the fluorescent green color, it reminds me of a Harbor Freight tool (which these definitely are not). Only time will tell how rugged they are and how often I will have to replace the batteries.

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

I’m going to try my Makita 18V impact on my truck lugs tonight! Thanks for this review, as I’ve been curious about this set. I’m a die hard impact guy by now. The green is a bit tough, I have to agree.

At 210 INCH pounds of torque for the drill and 800 INCH pounds for the impact driver , they never stood a chance against your lug nuts @ 100 FOOT pounds of torque. Hopefully you didn’t harm their tiny mechanisms : ) LOL

View Moron's profile

Moron

Festool uses fluorescent green

all a matter of perspective and I think every review is good BUT, there should be a second review, one year down the line as the excitement out of the gate, the shiny new effect can taint an opinion.

Cheers

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View Ian W's profile

Ian W

Moron, You are absolutely right. I used to sell tools for a living and I used to claim that nearly all new tools were good. You paid the extra money to still have a good tool a year or two down the line. I like the idea of a one year review very much. cheers, Ian W

-- any time in the wood shop is GOOD TIME

View Howie's profile

Howie

I’m in the market for an impact driver and since Dewalt is no longer in my vocabulary I’ll give these a look. Thanks for the review.

-- Life is good.

View Domer's profile

Domer

240 posts in 1951 days

I just bought a Dewalt pair that look the same as the Roickler. I bought them at the Woodworkers Show for a similar price.

I have had them for several months now and love them. They are very light weight and work well. I like the Dewalt yellow better than the Rockler green.

Domer

Philip

One they I didn’t consider when I bought this set. This drill only has a 3/8” chuck. This is only an issue when using my larger twist or brad point bits (as I discovered today when I wanted to drill a 1/2” hole in sheetrock). My spade and forstner bits are fit no problem.

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

My truck lugs laughed at my Makita, for the record. But Moron, Festool green is an expensive-looking green :)

View woodman1962's profile

woodman1962

I read this review and wanted to give my input.I have at 1500.00 worth of DEWALT cordless tools.I hate them to me. dewalt has really went down hill.I wish i could get some of the money back and i would sell it all.The batteries are just terrible I have replaced batteries every time i turn around. I finally tried a makita I love them i have been using them for 2 years and i can not tell you which batteries are old and which ones are new.I have purchased 3 sets of the 18v and have not replaced a battery since. They are just as good as the day that i bought them.I have had a little issue with there chargers they are real sensitive to moisture.You have to be careful of that.The batteries life is a lot more than dewalt.They are a lot easier on my hands than dewalt.When i bought these they did not offer the free replacement batteries on the rockwell.I think i would consider them just for that fact

-- jjhollyawc@yahoo.com

Philip

Update: I still love this set for its compact size and weight. It is a good LIGHT to MEDIUM DUTY drill. Recently I drilled 12 pocket holes in 3/4 ply and 60 1” holes in 1/4 inch ply using a spade bit on a single battery charge. The drill got pretty hot drilling the 1” holes. After recharging the battery I drilled two 2 1/2” holes in 3/4 ply using a hole saw. I found that even though the drill could do it if I went slow and used light pressure that I could actually stop the drill completely if I pressed too hard.