Ridgid Shop Vacs

Review by kosta posted 04-02-2011 03:08 AM 4071 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid Shop Vacs No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Yo whats up everybody I wanted to do a review on ridgid shop vacs. I have been using ridgid shop vacs for about 2 years. I have the ridgid 9 gallon 3 hp shop vac and the ridgid 12 gallon 5.5 hp shop vac. I use the 12 gallon shop vac which has a 2-1/2 in hose to collect the dust from my tablesaw. I use the 9 gallon shop vac which has a 1-7/8 in hose to collect the dust from my miter saw and sanders. The 12 gallon is one of the largest shop vacs you can buy and its a pretty nice shop vac. I use bags inside both shop vacs because the filters wont last more than a few days before they are completly caked with dust. One of the things about shop vacs is that the amount of suction really depends on how clean the filter is and you can really tell when the shop vacs not running right.

I usually will put a 4 ft extension hose on the 9 gallon shop vacs hose because its much more flexible then the standard hose that comes with the shop vac. Each shop vac hose is 7 ft long so you can put an extension hose on and not loose that much suction. These shop vacs are wet/ dry vacs so if you wanted to pick up water you take the dust bag out put a foam filter on and you can suck up water. I usually don’t use them that much for water because im in a garage but if theres water in the house then I will pick it up with one of these shop vacs. One of the best things you can buy is a 3 piece adapter set so that you can hook your shop vac hose up to any dust port in your shop. Ridgid has a free lifetime warranty on all of their tools which is pretty sweet. Overall I would give both of these shop vacs 5 stars because I work really good and I have never had a problem with either of them.

View Fallon's profile

Fallon

#1 posted 04-02-2011 03:43 AM

I’m reasonably happy with mine. No real complaints, just wish it was quieter. If memory serves me I got it because it got great consumer reports reviews. It did a good job helping to suck the water out of my hot tube piping in the process of winterizing it.

You are definitely correct about the suckage to dust on the filter ratio, need to keep the filters clean. I’ve got a Dust Deputy bungeed to mine & that eliminates most dust & dirt from entering the vac itself, but does cut down on the sucking power & volume of air a bit. I find the trade off worth it though. In that respect I should have gotten a smaller one than my 16? gallon one I have, but I hadn’t even heard of the Dust Deputy when I got the vac a couple of years ago.

The Ridgid hoses have a catch on them so you can pull the vac around by the hose & not just pull the hose loose, which is really handy for how they usually get used… Unfortunately the Dust Deputy isn’t similarly configured, so I’ve lost that benefit.

View hjt's profile

hjt

#2 posted 04-02-2011 05:14 AM

I was looking at shop vac and was considering getting a medium size, however I had da wife with me and Pam seems to believe that bigger is better! I walked out with the 16 gal.

I too use the Dust Deputy So do not have any issues with clogged filters. I also bought hoods and extra hose from Rockler to help catch the dust from my Table, RAS, and Jointer.

I agree – Ridgid makes nice tools. I was going to HD to get a set of Black and Decker Fire Storm battery operated tools – $89.00. Again… had da wife with me – walked out with the Ridgid 5 pack…. $500.00. She has kept me busy building things – check out my projects here and on Garden Tenders.

I try to keep her out of jewelry stores and car lots!

-- Harold

View Kaytrim's profile

Kaytrim

#3 posted 04-02-2011 06:50 AM

I have the 12 gal version and am very happy. I use a ClearView cyclone sized for the shop vacs. Unfortunately they can’t make them anymore because of a legal issue with Onida, the makers of the Dust Deputy. As far as the noise factor someone came up with a nice solution. part 1 part 2 I have yet to build this silencer for my shop vac but it is on my list of things to do.

#4 posted 04-02-2011 07:06 AM

yeah the hose locks are a pretty sweet feature as far as the dust deputy goes I have thought about getting one but I use a bag in my shop vacs and they keep the filter pretty clean.

I thought about building one of those shop vac silencers but the thing is most of the time you are using a shop vac you are using a power tool with it. So whats the point of silencing the shop vac when the tool your using is just as loud. You really cant silence a tool like you could a shop vac.

View teejk's profile

teejk

#5 posted 04-02-2011 11:26 PM

Having owned both the big Ridgid and ShopVac in the past year (and using a different Ridgid for 10 years), I’ll take the Ridgid any day. That thing will drag a bowling ball from 20 feet away. The ShopVac will only give it a glance.

Get the big one with the detachable motor and you also have the best shop-broom available (wear a dust-mask though otherwise you’ll soon know how MDF is made).

#6 posted 04-04-2011 02:20 AM

Yeah I had a smaller 2.5 hp shop vac brand for about 2 years and it worked ok but the paper filter lasted a few minutes and it would start shooting dust out the back

View OutPutter's profile

OutPutter

#7 posted 04-10-2011 02:38 PM

I have the big Rigid too but I’m still looking for the adapters.

-- Jim

#8 posted 04-11-2011 04:20 AM

check the shop vac section at home depot. They are usually right underneath the shop vacs. You can get a 3 piece adapter set for like $10.

View hjt's profile

hjt

#9 posted 04-12-2011 05:06 AM

Kaytrim – nice Youtube video. Your idea really cut down the noise.

-- Harold

View OhhCrap's profile

OhhCrap

#10 posted 04-17-2011 07:19 PM

While I have a Ridged and have no complaints, I know I will somewhere down the road.
Eventually motors wear out. Look in the manual and try to buy a replacement motor, – you can’t.

If your going to drop close to 100 bucks on a tool, make sure it will last, AND you can get replacement parts for it.

Hint, check with your local industrial cleaning and supply distributor. All professional vacume cleaners are based on Lamb Ametek motor assemblies.

You will be glad you paid a little more, cause in the end – you get what you paid for.

-- Quality: There is hardly anything in the world that some men cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price are this man’s lawful prey.

View OutPutter's profile

OutPutter

#11 posted 04-19-2011 08:02 AM

If I had a thought of replacing the motor on my shop vac when it wears out eventually, I believe I would have to slap myself. I’m hoping it does wear out before ten years (the length of time I had my other one before I sold it because I wanted a new, improved one) so I can get one ten years from now that runs at 3.9 decibals and can lift the motor out of my ‘56 Buick. And I don’t want to pay more than $12 for it either.

;-)

-- Jim

View Bob's profile

Bob

#12 posted 12-16-2013 06:31 PM

Ridgid shop vac are the best, but the short hoses literally suck!! I wanted to leave my shop vac in one place and never move it again! I detail cars professionally and use a shop vac alot! I did a little research and found this 36’ vac hose that comes with a remote and the 2.25” attachment for craftsman, ridgid, shop vac, etc.. This thing is awesome.. heres a link to ebay, where i bought it… http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-Shop-Vac-Hose-w-Remote-For-Ridgid-Shop-Vac-Craftsman-Kobalt-Genie-/121233430696?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3a1358a8