REACQUAINT YOURSELF WITH THE PLEASURES OF A HAND-SHARPENED PENCIL

Review by Tim Dahn posted 1215 days ago 2842 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
REACQUAINT YOURSELF WITH THE PLEASURES OF A HAND-SHARPENED PENCIL REACQUAINT YOURSELF WITH THE PLEASURES OF A HAND-SHARPENED PENCIL REACQUAINT YOURSELF WITH THE PLEASURES OF A HAND-SHARPENED PENCIL Click the pictures to enlarge them

David Rees still practices the age-old art of manual pencil sharpening. His artisanal service is perfect for artists, writers, and woodworkers. Shipped with their shavings and a “certificate of sharpening,” these extra-sharp pencils make wonderful gifts.

Let’s face it, we’re not trained to sharpen our own pencils…YET WE DO IT ALL THE TIME!

Why not leave it to the experts? All you have to do is send your #2 pencils to Mr. Rees and for $12.50 a piece he’ll sharpen them to a precision graded point.

IS THIS A JOKE?

If you start a pencil-sharpening business, you can expect to hear this question a lot. The short answer? No, this is not a joke. You pay David Rees money and he sharpens your pencils. It actually happens,in fact every pencil David Rees sharpens is shipped with a signed and dated certificate authenticating that it is now a dangerous object.

All shavings are bagged, sealed, labeled, and returned to the owner to dispose of as they wish. After all, shavings are part of the pencil– and it’s YOUR pencil. Beware pencil-sharpening services that don’t return your shavings! They’re ripping you off!

http://www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com/ – “The number one #2 pencil sharpener!”

-- Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement.

View Tim Dahn's profile

Tim Dahn

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2557 posts in 2035 days

Just when you think you have heard it all….

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View woodjewelry's profile

woodjewelry

I have been waiting for this service for so long, I wonder if he can sharpen the square carpenters pencils?:-))

-- Mark, Lithuania, http://www.woodworkers-online.com

View Sanity's profile

Sanity

In this computer age of ours it is wonderful to see a revival of these ancient crafts.

-- Stuart

View stefang's profile

stefang

12596 posts in 1937 days

Not meant as a criticism Tim, but haven’t you heard that pencils should not be sharpened? Besides the safety issues, pencils tend to break a lot easier when sharpened.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Ole's profile

Ole

I’ve been searching forever to find someone qualified to sharpen my pencils. Thank you!

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

I’m not worried about my pencils being sharp…..
It’s my MIND that needs sharpening!

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procratination a bad thing?

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

When we moved to Gainesville I couldn’t find a suitable place to mount the old hand crank pencil sharpener, so I’ve been hand sharpening my pencils ever since, just like grandpa used to do. Funny, I don’t miss the hand crank gizmo at all.

My wife however still uses her noisy electric sharpener on her desk, ugh!

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

View lighthearted's profile

lighthearted

142 posts in 1916 days

Nice idea.

But we prefer to get our pencils sharpened locally. They also offer eraser cleaning. Something to consider.

-- Chris http://thelightheartedwoodworker.com/

View TheBossQ's profile

TheBossQ

Didn’t know they still made #2 pencils. I only use mechanical pencils and I have them sharpened on a CNC.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

Gadzooks!! That’s so silly, that he will most certainly make a fortune just in gag gifts…........can you think of a better gift for your boss?

I have recently purchased some Twist-Erase III 0.5mm with Jumbo erasers from Pentel. This is the best mechanical pencil I have used in the shop. I was frustrated with some old mechanical Pentels, which I had dropped one too many times on my concrete floor.

The big erasers on the Twist-Erase are great, and they come with spares. They have a soft non-slip grip area. I haven’t told Sherie about them, because I am sure she would immediately exercise her birthright of expropriation…......if she likes something, she takes it and suggests I go buy another for myself….........(-:

I don’t use the old wood pencils much anymore, but when I do, I sharpen them on the grinder or the belt sander….....lazy…......(-:

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View Tim Dahn's profile

Tim Dahn

Mike, No need to worry about the safety issue, every pencil is shipped with a signed and dated certificate authenticating that it is now a dangerous object.

TheBossQ Traditionally people mail in their pencils to be sharpened; however David now offers a new service: He will provide the pencil.

Jim “Just because something makes you smile or laugh … doesn’t mean it’s a joke.”

View Jim's profile

Jim

The problem with my pencils is that they mark in the wrong place. Hope your service will correct this malfunction. Must have gotten a bad batch….

-- Jim, www.greenteawoodworking.com

View lew's profile

lew

Perfect- my pencils can now match the top of my head!

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

My dollar store sharpener is plenty good enough for me.

-- Having fun...Eric