Honing Guide

Review by dbray45 posted 1198 days ago 3881 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Honing Guide No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Bought this and was very surprised. My other honing guide clamps on the sides and edges for the larger blades and has a triangle to hold the smaller chisels and blades. This honing guide clamps on the flat side of the blade and holds it.

The guide I give 5 stars. The guide comes with a piece of stick on rubber which I put on the anvil of the guide so that the blade does not move around. The anvil, as I call it, has scribed lines to show if your blade is square to the guide, the rubber covers these lines. I found that Veritas, in offsetting the securing bolt, gives the user a way to square the blade in the guide by using the edge of the blade and the 2 sides of the guide. This being said, using the sides for reference, and using an adjustabe square, this will work well for skewed chisels. Since the guide clamps down on the flat of the chisel, it holds the triangled dovetail chisel that I made securely as well.

I cleaned up and squared the edges of several chisels and two plane blades with this in very little time. I have a 1/16” and a 1/8” chisels and for the first time, their edges are square to the blade. I had a plane where the edge was about 4 degrees from square because my freehand technique on a grinder stinks and could not get this square. In 20 minutes, it was square and sharp.

I have replaced my blue handled chisels and tried putting a different edge on several of them, basically turning them into paring chisels. Worked with any problems.

I cannot rate the reference plate because I did not use it.

The price was under $50.00 and in its first day, was well worth the price.

Good job Veritas!

-- David in Damascus, MD

View dbray45's profile

dbray45

I bought this a month ago and love it. A buddy here at work had a cpl different ones and had this one as well so I got to try it. Hard to go wrong wth Lee valley Veritas tools. Congrats on you purchase.

View devann's profile

devann

I need to see about getting one of these. Good job with the review, thank you for the post.

-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with

View Paul's profile

Paul

213 posts in 2037 days

I find the Lee site search feature not so helpful.
Can’t find this item anywhere.

View dbray45's profile

dbray45

They have to have a problem somewhere – must be their web site

-- David in Damascus, MD

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

1195 posts in 2060 days

I have an older version, I believe. I just did 4 chisels and Eight plane irons. Yes, Twelve edges in two days using sandpaper on glass. Quite proud of the result. The roller on the guide has a cam that can be turned to change the pitch a few degrees without removing sharpened item from the guide holder. That cam action allows an added 5 degree edge hone if you want. The wider roller wheel is more stable than other similar guide tools. The other part of the tool—reference plate? works well to set your angle and to set that angle in the tool guide holder.

Overall, when you are doing many edges, the tool holder saves where and tear on the fingers.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View Chelios's profile

Chelios

Got it too and I concur. Veritas is very well made. It is very much a better engineered jig than that other honing guide that doesn’t even clamp square. I got the same results but a lot faster and I got rid of my MDF angle set up jig I made.

View Don Niermann  's profile

Don Niermann

Had it for couple of years. A accurate tool for a good price.

-- WOOD/DON (...one has the right to ones opinion but not the right to ones own facts...)

View paulburch's profile

paulburch

i purchased this honing guide over 20 years ago and through over use and inexperience the roller got worn out on the inside/to much play .i brought it with me back to lv to see if they had a replacement kit which i was willing to pay for because i liked the tool ,they did have the kit and they were going to install it and give it to me for free after 20 minutes or so they could not find the proper size allen key so i was given a brand new complete jig free .this is not the only time i left lv completely satisfied with there service it is still my favorite toy i mean tool store quality service& hi quality products have brought me back year after year ps this last year i purchased the bevel-up smoother/jack and medium shoulder planes i am 100% satisfied with all of these planes

-- paul burchell

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

I have one of these that someone gave me. I don’t use them. I have several small wood triangles that I have cut to use as reference angles….I just align to the angles and sharpen by hand. It is how I was taught and I am used to. I suppose the guide would be good for fixing the bevel on bench chisels….

Typical of us WW….someone will find a tool or utility item that works for them, mention it…and then have to hear from all the folks that have made their own version or have some DIY way of doing it.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View joez's profile