A simple solution

Review by Tedstor posted 03-31-2011 08:51 AM 1984 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A simple solution A simple solution A simple solution Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this featherboard yesterday for use with my old craftsman table saw. Works about as well as any miter slot featherboard, but the on/off magnetic feature means I can mount this anywhere on the primary table or extension wings. Although I did not consider it at the time of purchase, I could also see this product being useful on my jointer, and especially my shaper.
The magnets are STRONG, and the featherboard didn’t move even slightly during the two cuts I’ve made with it so for. I tried moving it by hand too. It can be done, but it wasn’t easy. For this thing to move during normal operation, it would take a deliberate effort or extreme negligence. Once the magnets are turned off, it can be moved with zero effort.
Quality seems good. No reason to think it won’t last a long time. I’ve actually been mulling this purchase for a few weeks now. The usual $40 price tag has kept me on the fence. However, HD had them priced in store at $30, so I pulled the trigger. $30 is still pricey for a featherboard, but considering how well this one works, how easily it installs/removes, and the versatility it offers, I’m happy with the purchase. To be honest, after actually using it, the regular $40 price doesn’t seem so bad. And $30 now seems like a steal.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

View Rydell's profile

Rydell

#1 posted 03-31-2011 12:31 PM

Yep, I’ve got one too and absolutely love it.

View mtkate's profile

mtkate

2049 posts in 2013 days

#2 posted 03-31-2011 01:18 PM

This looks like a great gift idea…

#3 posted 03-31-2011 03:06 PM

Looks good Ill have to see if there on sale here as well. I have been looking at them for a while just not this brand. Thx for the review.

View RetiredCoastie's profile

RetiredCoastie

#4 posted 03-31-2011 04:10 PM

I bought one at HD when it was on sale and I like it. It works very well.

-- www.thepatriotwoodworker.com Proud Supporter of Homes For Our Troops

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1327 days

#5 posted 04-01-2011 12:39 AM

I did not know this even existed. Thanks for showing.

Did you see the reviewer that dinged it because it wouldn’t stick to his non-ferrous table saw ? They should hunt them down and brand their foreheads with a big Question Mark !

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#6 posted 04-01-2011 02:40 AM

DG,
Indeed. Ridgid should be ashamed of themselves for failing to alter the laws of physics. LOL.

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

#7 posted 04-01-2011 03:15 AM

This is one of my favorite small accessories. Buy the Ridgid like you did over the Magswitch (yellow) branded item. Another item that I find useful on the table saw and router wing is welding magnets. They’re shaped like an arrow and can serve as stops or guides if you have cast iron. Thanks for the review.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1327 days

#8 posted 04-01-2011 06:10 AM

Got it at my local HD after work today. Already used it to rip some 1×3 10 ft. poplar down to a true 1 3/4” by 3/4” to use as traditional wood edge on a granite tile countertop face tomorrow. This holds solid as a rock . Really nice that it not only is a safety factor, but it holds it laterally while I transition from push to pull on the Ridgid table saw.

I had to search and search, but finally found three. They were all dusty with the plastic turning yellow. $29 plus tax. They were laying next to some marked down Dewalt crown fences for a 12” miter saw. So others may not know about these, either.

My partner turned a few fingertips into hamburger with a bad kickback of a small piece like this launched into his fingertips. He was using a push stick, but that was not enough. I play guitar, so I think I’ll keep my fingers (and thumbs).

This has settled another thing for me. After ripping this 30 feet of Poplar, I used a Roundover bit on the router table to make it look like something. My router table top is laminate. I will make sure that my new table saw router extension wing is cast iron, because i could NOT use this on the router tonight, but surely would have.

BTW, to finish this project, I will stain (lamp black) tomorrow morning 2 coats and then poly 2 coats. Will be on the cabinetry by afternoon.

Thanks again for the tool tip.

View tt1106's profile

tt1106

#9 posted 04-02-2011 02:05 PM

I picked up a couple too. I hadn’t thought about using these on my jointer, but when I read your review I decided to get a couple. Thanks.

-- -Todd

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

#10 posted 04-08-2011 11:16 PM

I’ve been eyeballing that for several months now. I just started on a Unisaw rebuild project and I think this will become a perfect accessory.

View Ocelot's profile

Ocelot

#11 posted 04-17-2011 08:09 PM

Agghhh! My birthday was last week, so I’ll have to wait ‘til Christmas. :-)