Porter Cable Dovetail Jig is Sturdy and Easy to Adjust.

Review by pintodeluxe posted 1240 days ago 2847 views 3 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Porter Cable Dovetail Jig is Sturdy and Easy to Adjust. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The 4210 dovetail jig is easy to use, and the template is thick aluminum. Most other jigs in the $100 price range seem flimsy or use plastic templates. I was impressed how large and heavy this jig is.
The included dovetail jig and bushing let you get right to work – no more trips to the specialty woodworking stores. The bit is carbide tipped, and very sharp. It is 1/2” shank and cuts effortlessly.
I found the jig in stock at Lowes.
By by 4th try I was cutting perfect dovetails. I only wasted about 6” of lumber before the joints looked good. There are fancier jigs out there, but this one is a really nice jig.

The only limitation with fixed-spacing templates is you need to build drawers at specific width for the best looking drawers. For perfect half-sockets, just build your drawers at 1” increments plus 1/4” ( ie: 3-1/4”, 4-1/4”, 5-1/4” etc. ). I am building custom furniture, so this was easy to design the drawer openings to fit these sizes.
Addendum: Every time I pull this jig out, I am amazed how easy and repeatable dovetails are. Half-blind dovetails are genius- one bit, one setup, one pass and you are done.

2nd Addendum: I have also used this jig with a larger 14 degree Rockler bit which produces better looking dovetails… http://lumberjocks.com/topics/40073

View Chris Moellering's profile

Chris Moellering

Looks like fun. Having just got a PC router for my birthday this year, I’d love to get one of these to go with it….

hmmm…Father’s Day is coming up…. ;-)

-- Grace & peace, Chris+

Nice review, One thing I don’t have that I have kicked around buying….. Thx

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

I have the 4212 which comes with additional templates for thru dovetails and box joints. It also comes with all the bushings and bits. I really like my jig and for the money, it is well worth it. Took about two trys with initial set-up before I was cutting perfect dovetails. Just finished a seven drawer dresser and all the joints are perfect. When using baltic birch for the drawer case, I score the plywood with a utility knife before cutting thus avoiding any chip out in the plywood.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

Sorry guys: It is the 4216 that has all the attachments and templates. I guess I had a senior moment!!

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

View Branum's profile

Branum

I too have the 4212. The reason I bought the PC jig vs the other brands is that I saw a video from PC that showed how to use just the template and some wood as spacers to be able to make infinite length dove tails (not limited to 12”). For the life of me I can’t find it now but I know it is out there.

Hey Oldey,

Can you explain the scoring with a utility knife a little more for me? I will be building many drawers this summer.

-- Branum

View Branum's profile

Branum

For any one thinking about using this jig, having 2 routers makes your life so much easier. You set one for your pins and one for your tails. This will shorten the time it takes to cut your pins and tails by 50-75%!!

-- Branum

View bvdon's profile

bvdon

Branum… I think once you cut one board, you can then use that board as a template to score the other boards. That would be my guess ;)

-- http://woodwork.me

View FrankyFiveAces's profile

FrankyFiveAces

Looking into buying a new dovetail jig and the PC is at the top of the list. I have a 1/2” and 1/4” Craftsman routers, do I need to worry about bushing? Thanks.

-- "Never give a sucker an even break." -W.C. Fields

Franky-
You need a router that accepts a standard Porter Cable style bushing. I believe it is a 1-3/16” opening in the router. Any P.C. or Dewalt router should work. I am not sure what size opening your router has. It seems like Craftsman and Bosch use non-standard bushings, however there are often adapters available from the tool manufacturer.
Best of Luck

View FrankyFiveAces's profile

FrankyFiveAces

Apparently my Craftsman came with a PC style base, which will accept any type of PC bushings. Good to know. Thanks for the heads up, Pinto.

-- "Never give a sucker an even break." -W.C. Fields