Sandpaper Holder - for hand sanding

Review by Don Johnson posted 1221 days ago 3820 views 2 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sandpaper Holder - for hand sanding Sandpaper Holder - for hand sanding No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Although I now cannot find it, I’m sure I recently saw a Project for making sandpaper holders to ease the task of hand sanding, so the subject was on my mind when I received my latest ‘Current Special Bargains’ e-mail from Lidl. (This is a cut-price supermarket company, similar to Aldi – both of which sell in the UK although they are based in Germany. Besides food, etc., they usually offer a variety of DIY products, but none could be called ‘top-of-the-range’ in terms of quality – however they are useful to general handymen.)
The e-mail included the above picture, and the price of £3.99! At this price it was worth the risk to buy a couple to try them out, and if they were useless – well not a big loss! However, they are superb!
I hate hand-sanding! My tender skin gets roughened and I get little cracks around my nails which are painful out of all proportion to their tiny size, so I try to remember to wear a glove, but usually take it off at least once in a session, and the damage is done!
With these little beauties, my delicate pinkies are safe, and the handles are extremely comfortable and of an ergonomic design that makes sanding a pleasure! I now look forward to it!
I dashed back to Lidl on the following day to get a couple more, but they were all gone – b——r!
Still, I have two – loaded with the two most used grit sizes, and the paper holding clamps have not slipped during several days of hard use. The flat surface has a firm rubber layer that makes keeping sanding ‘square’ easy, whilst accommodating sanding curves.
I’m very happy with the product, and am looking out for more.

Part of the reason for publishing this review is that although the holders may not be freely available, the design is much more comfortable to use than any others I have tried – the handles removing the strain caused by holding blocks – so anyone considering making their own might consider using similar handles..

-- Don, Somerset UK, http://www.donjohnson24.co.uk

View Don Johnson's profile

Don Johnson

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

6940 posts in 2040 days

Don,
That holder looks comfortable and usable. I have checked and I can’t see anywhere in the US who stocks them.
Thanks for posting.

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

View kiefer's profile

kiefer

thanks don
would love to find thos here
they look comfortable to use
the hold downs for the paper are great
maybe some day i will build one

kiefer

-- Kiefer 松

View nightdiver5's profile

nightdiver5

The handle doesnt look as cool but a common drywall handsander works pretty good.

-- Jeff, SoCal