Woodworkers Guild DVD

Review by rpalm posted 03-27-2011 04:17 PM 4071 views 0 times favorited 31 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Woodworkers Guild DVD No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was quite irritated when I received this unsolicited DVD by mail. The offer is to review and keep for $12.95 or return post paid. I almost stuffed it in the return envelop and return it unwatched but decided to take a look.
After viewing the very good instructional dvd I kept it and will receive future dvd’s in the series to review.
This may be the best instructional dvd I’ve seen. Excellent production quality along with clear and concise instruction. The instructor gives great detail on every operation and machine set up along with many tips.
If you receive the mailing from Woodworkers Guild of America I sugesst you take a look.
Robert

View cranesgonewild's profile

cranesgonewild

#1 posted 03-27-2011 04:35 PM

How was it sent to you? Are you in a club of some sort? I might be interested in this.

-- I'm a Fungi --

#2 posted 03-27-2011 04:53 PM

I do not know how I got on the mailing list. The do have a web site. http://www.wwgoa.com/

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

#3 posted 03-27-2011 06:55 PM

I’m pretty sure that if they sent it to you and you didn’t request it, you can keep it. They don’t have the right to send something you didn’t ask for and bill you for it if I don’t do what they say (i.e. send it back). I wouldn’t intentionally buy from people that engage in such questionable business practices.

#4 posted 03-27-2011 07:03 PM

It is true that one could keep the unsolicited mailing and WWGOA states that in the mailing.

View hokieman's profile

hokieman

#5 posted 03-27-2011 10:26 PM

I got it too. Really hacked me off. I threw it out. Let ‘em come and get me. I did review the dvd and I havfe to say there wasn’t one thing in there that I didn’t already know. It would be good for someone that has very limited experience, though.

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

#6 posted 03-27-2011 11:58 PM

I’m not interested in getting DVD’s that I didn’t ask for, but I do like the Woodworkers Guild of America.
Their web site has many free instructional videos and articles.
And an old klutz like me can use all the help he can get ! lol

-- All glory comes from daring to begin.

View agartzke's profile

agartzke

#7 posted 03-28-2011 01:20 AM

I was irritated as well when i received it. I read the letter and decided I was going to watch it or throw it away given this “odd” marketing technique. To my surprise, I also really enjoyed the DVD and will be sending them the money, looking forward to more in the future. The DVD itself had great production quality, and the instructor was solid. I encourage anyone that gets this to look past the annoying way it got to you and give it a shot.

Andy

#8 posted 03-28-2011 01:24 AM

If you receive this dvd in the mail, keep it. If you’ll take a little time to read the fine print, it actually says that you may keep the dvd. You didn’t ask for it, so, they sent it to you – it’s yours. End of story. . . . . I agree, I thought the video was well made and informative, just not enough for me to subscribe. I have all of you guys for that.

#9 posted 03-28-2011 01:30 AM

If its the one I received, its not that bad, Barry. Not the greatest, but pretty good. Especially for guys just starting out.

View drewnahant's profile

drewnahant

#10 posted 03-28-2011 01:30 AM

I have a friend who recently received an America’s TestKitchen cookbook in the same way, but they wanted $59.99. it was actually a nice book, but he didnt want it, but they didnt provide a paid return envelope, so he refused, now they send him a weekly bill and are threatening to go to debt collection and post on his credit report, of course he still wont return it without them paying for shipping on principle, and I agree. I really hate this scam, I will never buy from a company that participates in such dispicable practices.

#11 posted 03-28-2011 01:35 AM

The fact is, that if you receive something in the mail, and did not ask for it….. its yours. Nothing they can do. I would throw the stuff away before I’d send it back. But always look it over, it might be some good stuff.

#12 posted 03-28-2011 01:58 AM

That looks like George on the cover : )
I met him years ago at one of the woodworking shows (he taught a fantastic bandsaw class) and watch him often on youtube.

#13 posted 03-28-2011 02:13 AM

Pretty sure that’s the guy that’s on the video. I can’t remember for sure how much of that beard he had.

#14 posted 03-28-2011 03:38 AM

George Vondriska is the instructor in the dvd.

View Challenger601Mech's profile

Challenger601Mech

#15 posted 03-28-2011 06:14 AM

I get these…I seem to recall that I was in a Wood Worker’s Book Club. They eventually phased out, and I believe they reformed as a video club. I have kept quite a few, mostly based on the fact that I forgot to send them back. Once you are past the introductory video, they are more like $27 with shipping. I have been sending them all back lately, and at $2 a pop, that adds up, too. At this point in my life, I really can’t afford these, and I really don’t have time to watch them, anyway, so I intend to cancel my membership. The ones I have watched seemed pretty good, though. Between the mags I subscribe to, all the stuff you can find for free online, and the Woodsmith program I have been DVR-ing on PBS (I think?), I think I’ve got plenty of info coming in, without the DVDs. The one think that irritates me is that they really cram them down your throat, frequency wise. Seems like I’ve been getting one every 2-3 weeks. Suppose I could go to the website and modulate that—one more thing I haven’t gotten around to doing.