Good thing for Guaranteed.

Review by Moron posted 03-27-2011 06:25 AM 2242 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good thing for Guaranteed. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My old Makita Hammer drill was 150 miles away so I slipped off to Home Depot and perused their tools.

The Ridgid Hammer Drill was on sale and another 20% off so I bought it. It also came with a tool bag which is nice.

Loved the weight, not too heavy like some. I like the way it felt in my hand, liked the chuck with the key, the depth stop device and the quick remove add on handle (have no idea why one needs that with only 7 amps). Also like the cord that lights up when plugged in and the lengthy cord is nice too.

Worked like a charm day one and blasted hole after hole into old concrete (save for those sh##y drill bits) and same for the next day but today (day three) something stunk, stunk so bad I put the drill down and stepped back, sat down on a milk crate and wondered who’s fart could smell like that ?.........then I spyed the drill, smoking like it had a cure for cancer. There the drill layed and smoked away….....let it cool, drilled again, smoked like a fine cuban cigar.

Everything was great except it died rather prematurely. 3 days for 120 bucks. 2 stars.

View dakremer's profile

#1 posted 03-27-2011 06:50 AM

“smoked like it had a cure for cancer.” – haha…i love that

-- Hey you dang woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!!!!

View devann's profile

#2 posted 03-27-2011 08:03 AM

That’s about how long those hammer drills with the keyed chuck last. My brother used to buy him a new one like that every year or six jobs whichever came first. He would buy the Millwaukee but it was about the same in price around $150.
I had an old DeWalt ($200-250) with the SDS chuck that was given to me and I gave it to my brother after getting a new trigger put in it. That was three, four years ago and it’s like the eveready bunny, still going. I think those snap in carbide tip concrete bits make the difference.

-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with

View cornflake's profile

#3 posted 03-27-2011 02:23 PM

that looks like a copy of the craftsman model…

View D1st's profile

#4 posted 03-27-2011 03:59 PM

Ive had one for 4 yrs now and use it quite a bit with no problems. Sometimes you get Junk sometimes gold.

View jdborg's profile

#5 posted 03-27-2011 08:38 PM

I have used this drill through two remodels and have had no problems. I actually couldnt be happier with it. I abuse it pretty bad (mixing drywall mud and mortor) and it just keeps on going. The only thing I remember was while mixing mud the first time I had to make sure it wasn’t working at max power at slow speed or it didn’t cool itself enough.

#6 posted 03-28-2011 01:03 AM

mine is a smoker….........and its going back.

View NBeener's profile

#7 posted 03-28-2011 01:05 AM

Brief … but beautiful !

I’ve had really good luck with Ridgid tools. But … I’ve had LOUSY luck with Grizzly, and … most people haven’t.

Good thing both these companies have good warranties, huh ?

Thanks for the review. I value the bad ones at least as much as the good ones !

-- -- Neil

View StumpyNubs's profile

#8 posted 03-28-2011 08:29 PM

I LOVE my Rigid drill- definately worth the price. And the warranty can’t be beat. BUT- if they never made a dud, they’d not need a warranty- eh?

I once went through FIVE of the same laptop computers in one year and I said the brand was junk. But a friend loved hers and never had a problem.

Funny how things work… or don’t work…

-- Subscribe to "Stumpy Nubs Woodworking Journal"- One of the crafts' most unique publications:

View Bertha's profile

#9 posted 03-28-2011 08:42 PM

His short life was hard lived. ^Isn’t that odd, Stumps? I even knew a fella with a Jaguar that he drove into the ground, 300K, never a problem. There I was with my Civic in the shop.

View scarpenter002's profile

#10 posted 03-30-2011 11:35 PM

I had a nice Bosch that did the same thing. It can happen with all brands. At least the warranty is good.

-- Scott in Texas

#11 posted 03-31-2011 05:04 AM

it was the right price and I never expected it to perform like a 400 dollar hammer drill. The name “Ridgid” does not instill “longevity” into the program : )