Great Cutting Board Finish!

Review by zindel posted 03-25-2011 03:01 PM 3954 views 6 times favorited 30 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Cutting Board Finish! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Last summer I was working on a cutting board my girlfriend and looked deeply into what i could use to finish it. I considered the normal oil and wax, however that needs to be reapplied after some time of use. I then stumbled upon this salad bowl finish by General Finishes and all i can say is WOW! The cutting board i made for her last summer still looks great and fully water proof.

You can take a look for yourself: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/44940

This is after almost daily use for almost 9 months and I have yet to need to refinish it. This product is 100% water proof and non toxic when dry. I figure I would share with everyone what a great product this really is and great it makes the wood really pop when you put it on! enjoy.

#1 posted 03-25-2011 04:14 PM

Zindel, I have been meaning to try this out but have not gotten around to it so thanks for the review.

It does appear as if it is simply an oil base wipe-on poly mix to me, after looking at the MSDS.

View Raspar's profile

Raspar

#2 posted 03-25-2011 04:28 PM

Thanks for the review. I need to give this a try.

-- Have thy tools ready. God will find thee work.

View RandyMorter's profile

RandyMorter

#3 posted 03-25-2011 05:06 PM

Thank you for the review. I’ve used one of their other finishes (Arm-R-Seal) and really like it. I’ll have to try this. I’m making a toy airplane and want a non-toxic finish.

-- Randy Morter, Phoenix, AZ

View stefang's profile

stefang

13051 posts in 1991 days

#4 posted 03-25-2011 05:18 PM

I’m not surprised your happy with it, as General Finishes is known for their quality products. I also agree that it must be some kind of poly to remain waterproof for so long a time. I have also read info on finishing that claims that most (all ?) poly finishes are non-toxic after the solvent part dries out. Surely true of many other finishes as well, including BLO.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

#5 posted 03-25-2011 07:16 PM

I have used this on over 100 boards. I have found though, mixing it 50/50 with mineral spirits and apply 5-8 coats give the board an amazing shine and durability! ( Marc aka (Woodwhisper) suggestion )...

On another note for those that live in the state of California like me, with Stupid A rules, you can no longer buy it because of the VOC content….Go figure,,, its food safe when cured but can’t buy it. They had put it back on the shelf then took it away again. So I have to have family from out of state buy it and send it to me. Sometimes you can mail order it and if the shipping dept is not paying attention they will ship it to you even though it states not avail in California!!!! I have 4 quarts coming from a store tues.

Ok done venting, thank-you…. Nice board you have made as well.

#6 posted 03-25-2011 07:48 PM

Thanks for the tip ken i will have to give that a try.

View Rob_G's profile

Rob_G

#7 posted 03-25-2011 11:05 PM

This stuff is excellent – it goes on very thing, so on an end grain cutting board, it soaks right though. I usually go with 3-4 4 heavy coats on each side, then sand off the excess. After I’m back down to bare wood on the cutting surfaces, i wipe on a thin layer to take out all the scratches. I’m a little leery of leaving too much on the cutting surfaces because a lot of use with a sharp knife may cause the finish to flake off into your food.

#8 posted 03-25-2011 11:18 PM

Not a bad idea…I always just cloth on about 4 or 5 coats and make sure that i get the wood a little wet with a cloth first before my first coat. This way the wood pores open up and really soak it all in. After each coat i take some steel wool to it to smooth it out.

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

#9 posted 03-26-2011 12:12 AM

I watched Marc’s video and decided to purchase this for some cutting boards this Christmas. I diluted the first two coats and went with two thin full strength coats. They turned out great. The wife used the cutting board for dinner tonight, we’ve been using it daily for a couple months and still looks good.

I would agree, this is a good product. I may use it for some other children’s toys I am working on.

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

View wseand's profile (online now)

wseand

#10 posted 03-26-2011 03:45 AM

Nice review and a great Cutting board.

-- Bill - "Freedom flies in your heart like an Eagle" Audie Murphy

View jat's profile

jat

#11 posted 03-26-2011 01:40 PM

I have used this finish on quite a few end grain cutting boards. However, recently I have switched to butcher block oil. When you first apply salad bowl finish, it causes the wood fibers to rise requiring you to sand in between each coat; that doesn’t happen with butcher block oil and so no need to re-sand. Also, as someone said, the poly in the salad bowl finish can accumulate on the surface if too much is applied. I do like the shine with salad bowl, which you don’t get with butcher block oil. I wonder if you could finish a board with just a very light coating of salad bowl finish after using butcher block oil for the first few coats?

#12 posted 03-26-2011 07:23 PM

Hmmmm not sure on that one, I have had some cutomers order they’re boards finished with the Butcher Block Oil only. They did not want a glossy finish. I have a board that is 3 yrs old with 8 coats of SBF and I have no flaking so far and we abt the poor thing. Problem we all have is when you make the boards to nice no one wants to use them. LOL

View dirtybandaid's profile

dirtybandaid

#13 posted 03-27-2011 01:17 AM

great idea, i read the woodwhisperer’s article too and will most likely try this out.

My only question is that if I finish a board with salad bowl finish how long will it go before it needs some maintenance. I have some ideas to give boards to non-woodworking folk and I really like that they can just re-apply mineral oil when they need. It is seriously promising to hear that it’s been used for 3 yrs with no problems!

I cant wait to try it out!

View bvdon's profile

bvdon

#14 posted 03-27-2011 06:19 AM

I do the 50/50 mix of Salad Bowl Finish and mineral spirits. Typically, I sand to 320, then give about three coats… wait a few weeks to let the mixed woods adjust, re-sand and just add a coat or two to finish it off.

Since the board is washed with soap/water (then quickly dried), it does need a little butcher block oil every few weeks, but it keeps the boards looking like new even after a lot of use.

-- http://woodwork.me

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

#15 posted 03-27-2011 08:14 AM

Nice board, GF makes some great finishes, I love there stuff!!!!

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.