24" sander

Review by jeff robinson posted 1244 days ago 4320 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
24" sander 24" sander 24" sander Click the pictures to enlarge them

this sander does what they say it does. i waited to after i used for a month or so before i gave it a review because the top came warped wasnt very happy. but they have good customer service got it it fixed right a way.works great very versitile for different projects. if i had to say anything bad it would be in the area of dust port hook up just a 3”hole but made it work. motor is 1/2 hp fan cooled.

View therookie's profile

therookie

View D1st's profile

D1st

Nice review. How much did you pay for it?

-- http://www.furstwoodworks.com/

jeff robinson

the price for the sander was $569 you have to buy the motor i got my moter and cabinet for free from family member. i know it sounds a bit much but a looked at regular drum sanders for the sam price but i can do different projects it would be hard or impossible do with regular drum sanders

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

I’ve never seen anything like it! Thank you for sharing it!

View bubbyboy's profile

bubbyboy

How does it compare to using a traditional drum sander I have been looking at both and can’t seem to decide?
It looks like a good unit but not sure which is the better way to go.

-- I just don't understand. I have cut it 3 times and it is still to short.

jeff robinson

i havent used a traditional sander my self i usally take anything im working on to a cabinet shop near by. imake a lot of samaller projects like boxes coasters and you really cant run those through a traditional sander like a dove tail box on this sander no problem. i hope this helps. also very little dust i hardly ever have it hooked to dust collector

View RexMcKinnon's profile

RexMcKinnon

Thanks for the review. I have been debating one of these for a while. Espically after I did 5 endgrain cutting boards with a belt sander. Maybe this can be a early Christmas gift.

Oh crap, only March and I already said Christmas. LOL

-- If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

I have the 18” sander but I made the top and case myself …. Total price for everthing around 400

In hindsight I would have bought the top,,,,money vrs time… Pretty close…. There are few guys on here that had some great ideas and helped me along as well. Love the sander, One of the BIG Advantage verses a traditional drum sander is the paper is cheaper and lasts longer. It also does not gum up or care if there is varnish on the wood. It is manual labor though, so at times when doing alot of sanding it gets old. I have kicked around the idea of keeping both in my shop. But this is effective for alot of things quickly standard drum sander would not.
Hope this helps

View OttawaP's profile

OttawaP

” Espically after I did 5 endgrain cutting boards with a belt sander. Maybe this can be a early Christmas gift.”

You will die a slow painful death waiting for one of these to deal with and endgrain cutting board. They work reasonably well as a finishing sander but that is all. It is NOT a 24” dual drum 5 hp machine.

-- Paul

View swayze's profile

swayze

I built a 30” v-drum sander this winter. Built the box, drum and top from scratch. It was a lot of work but it was very interesting to do. Don’t know that I would do it again until I was retired and have nothing but time. They work great. Nice quick finish sanding and board jointing/flattening. It cost me about $250 to build including the motor.

View Broglea's profile

Broglea

OttawaP – They will work on endgrain too, but you will need to slow your feed rate and maybe drop to a lower grit. I have one of these I made from pieces around my shop and have sanded a number of end grain cutting boards. Sure beats and belt sander method!

View tyka's profile

tyka

Nice sander. I considered this one too but wanted a thickness reducing sander as well. I ended up making this combo sander http://lumberjocks.com/projects/46736 in case anyone is interested making their own.

-- Paul, Plantagenet, Ontario