Almost got it right.

Review by Routerisstillmyname posted 03-23-2011 09:43 PM 2503 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Almost got it right. Almost got it right. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well, even though I‘ve had a Wixey Protractor( http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/549 ) that is dead on 100% accurate, measured against all my engineering squares and then some, At only $15 on sale, I could not resist picking one of these up.
Why you might ask. Well, The Wixey even though is accurate; it has two main shortcomings. One, it is impossible to lock it in place. Second, it does not have the hold function, which should have been incorporated since it will not lock tight.
On the other hand, the iGaging has a hold function, which is a must on these protractors. It also has a large locking knob conveniently located on the top and at first glance it would give you the impression that finally a well designed locking knob but the truth is, it is useless and it does NOT tighten and lock this thing. It’s just deceptively there.
The second positive and depending on your preference, it is thin compared with Wixey which could be useful for when you need it to slide between saw blade teeth.
Now all this does not mean a thing unless the accuracy is there. Aand this is within manufacturers specs accurate to within 0.1 and at times, inconsistent 0.3 which to me makes it useless.
If you transfer a wall angle to your miter saw or a miter gauge and you are off by even 0.1, then you might as well be doing test cuts.
So the argument is, is it worth it at the sale price. To me even though the hold unction is there, and it’s also a ruler with mm, 16th,32nds, 64ths fine readings and a spare battery, I don’t see a reason for keeping it. The accuracy is just not there even with a fresh battery. If you can live with 0.1- 0.3 inaccuracies then grab one.

View Cliff De Witt 's profile

Cliff De Witt

#1 posted 03-23-2011 11:31 PM

Thanks, payday is Friday and I was waiting to get one till I had the cash. Now I think I will pass. I want something to set my saw for Segmented turnings and if this is not accurate it is better to wait. Maybe Wixley will add a locking knob.

-- Trying to find an answer to my son’s question: “…and forming organic cellulose by spinning it on its axis is interesting, why?”

#2 posted 03-24-2011 12:43 AM

Wixey Protractor does have a some sort of tightening slide or latch but it’s joke.
I don’t understand these * companies . how hard is it to put a fracking locking knob that locks.

#3 posted 03-25-2011 03:02 PM

0.1- 0.3 inaccuracy is just difference between using putty or not on crown moldings but on picture framing it’s fire wood.
But my 3 star is based on the fact that they place a large locking knob on this giving the impression that it locks down but it’s just for show that’s all.
Obviously $15 dollars is not even two decent margaritas these days but as a consumer we can’t keep accepting this kind of misconceptions and going along with good enough attitude.

Thanks for the link. Good old analog.