Laguna Professional Sliding Table

Review by thamar posted 03-22-2011 06:55 AM 7350 views 1 time favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Laguna Professional Sliding Table Laguna Professional Sliding Table Laguna Professional Sliding Table Click the pictures to enlarge them

As part of my shop upgrade, I decided to ditch my old “Mule” sliding table. I ordered the Laguna Professional Sliding Table. The website indicated that it would fit my Delta Unisaw and the person I talked to at Laguna said that some of their customers had mounted it on Unisaws.

Once I received the sliding table, it just didn’t seem to me that it would fit my right tilt Unisaw. The right hand mounting bracket would have gotten in the way of the tilt wheel. The sliding table was obviously so well built that I couldn’t bear to even think about shipping it back. Instead, I had to come up with an idea to get it to work; somehow. What I came up with was to use 4 old Craftsmen table saw extensions and a few other bits and pieces of aluminum to build a super strong support system for the sliding table.

With the help of my Oneway Multi Gauge (very highly recommended) and a lot of fiddling around, everything finally lined up nice and square, true, and solid.

The sliding table itself is absolutely first rate. It has made a huge difference in the accuracy and ease of use of the saw. Other than the fact that it is expensive (you get what you pay for), I highly recommend it. Depending upon your tablesaw, you might have to come up with something similar to mount the actual unit.

View thamar's profile

thamar

#1 posted 03-22-2011 07:44 AM

sweet

now all you have to do is learn how to use it cuz the cross fence is at the wrong end ?

I can always tell who knows what : )

View Jahness's profile

Jahness

#2 posted 03-22-2011 07:49 AM

Maybe it’s just me, but I wouldn’t want all that crap in my way at the table saw. A simple wood cutoff sled works fine for all my needs. Different strokes for different fowlks.

-- John

#3 posted 03-22-2011 08:41 AM

say what you want Jahnese but remove the bulk of the jigs, put it in the hands of some one who knows how to use it, and its the slickest, slippery, perfect slider ever

and they only get better

you wont ever look back unless you have to

like me

View Greedo's profile

Greedo

#4 posted 03-22-2011 08:55 AM

moron, im not sure i understand “crossfence at the wrong end” but the fence can usually be positioned anywhere on the slider. and the stop blocks can be turned to the front or back of the fence so that you can cut in front or behind the fence.
on small sliders like these it’s more practical to cut in front.

anyway, i didn’t know these existed! do you mean you had to build that under structure youself? how was it supposed to be mounted otherwise?
my tablesaw has a slider long enough to rip an entire sheet, my previous one had a smaller slider like this one. good for solid wood, but annoying when you need to dismantle the fence in order to cut panels.

jahness; i don’t understand why tablesaw design hasn’t evolved in the states.
in europe nobody would like to use this slider for the opposite reason, it’s too small lol!

#5 posted 03-22-2011 09:05 AM

yup on one as the cross fence can be located anywhere, generally so you dont have to work so hard or walk so far

bs on the rest

they are “pro” tools for the privileged. Everyone else has to suck it up/

the manual wont teach you how to use it : )

“time” might and I dont have any : )

#6 posted 03-22-2011 09:11 AM

what happened to this trade ?

I sometimes think

and then i quit

and go back to work

View 2bigfeet's profile

2bigfeet

#7 posted 03-22-2011 03:37 PM

Thamar,

Very cool looking improv on the workaround. I can’t quite see how you access the bevel crank though, unless there is room to slide your hand in, that I can’t see from your shots.

I didn’t know that slider existed either. Very impressive looking. I’m using the Jessem Mast R Slider on my Unisaw and love it. The saw is stand alone and used for repetitive cuts for stiles & rail and drawer boxes. I use my PM2000 for ripping.

What else do you have going on there? Whose overarm guard is that and what is on top of your rip fence?

Enjoy your new setup!

View thamar's profile

thamar

#8 posted 03-22-2011 03:56 PM

There is just enough room to access the bevel crank.

The cross fence IS at the correct end of the slider. The slider can travel a little more than 4’ from the blade so that you can crosscut a sheet of plywood with the fence in this position.

I also thought that the table was a bit narrow, so I added a long 8” sort of side table to the whole rig. If I can keep my belly to about the same girth, I can just barely walk between the sliding table and the side table.

View ykjohn's profile

ykjohn

#9 posted 03-22-2011 05:27 PM

I have owned the Excaliber sliding table for about 10 years and I love it.
Yours is so much beefier.
Don’t know about you, but I can’t live without mine.
Nicely done.
Don’t know if I would have had the patience to make it work, but I’m glad you did.
Thanks for the pics

-- John, The Great White North

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#10 posted 03-22-2011 06:05 PM

That’s an awfully expensive piece of equipment to have to modify! Alas, I’m like you, though, and the thought of shipping that monster back would give me pause. I’ve never owned a sliding table but those that use it definitely seem to prefer it. I don’t consider a sliding table “elitist” in any way. A friend of mine just put $7000 aftermarket wheels on his car. Different strokes for different folks!

#11 posted 03-22-2011 06:18 PM

Nope, the work piece goes behind the fence, not in front…...opposite to what a conventional cabinet saw does

View extremehobbiest's profile

extremehobbiest

#12 posted 03-22-2011 07:16 PM

My compliments on one of the finest American style cabinet saw setups I believe I have ever seen. Nice review. I have used Euro sliders for over 7 years now and use both sides of the crosscut fence in nearly every position on the slider. There is no right or wrong way. When cutting large sheet goods, I use the back of the fence, for smaller pieces, in front of the fence. Just whatever works best for you.

#13 posted 03-22-2011 10:50 PM

“American style cabinet saw”......... oxymoron pardon the pun : )

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#14 posted 03-22-2011 11:22 PM

I’m seriously, ridiculously, borderline disgustingly envious.

I’m not a huge Laguna fan, but … a slider …. ahhhhhh, yes :-)

-- -- Neil

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1989 days

#15 posted 03-23-2011 12:27 AM

I have seen several models of these….incuding the Grizzly add on for the G0590/1 saws. I like the idea that the table moves instead of the wood…I am sure this adds some safety to the mix.

I am not impressed with Laguna though….in fact I would not buy one of their tools…period. I am not saying this to belittle your purchase….but when I saw this and a 5 star rating…I was a bit taken aback. Typically, Laguna gets blogs relating horror stories of shoddy quality and customer support that is either non existent…or requiring tremendous effort to get any help. Hopefully, you will not have the same experience.

I use my crosscut sled so much I am starting to wear down the handles and I can certainly see alot of convenience to a slider…..Only trouble about the slider add on is the extra room taken up….not to mention my saw is on wheels and moves about….this would add another issue to solve with moving it around the shop.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!