The Artisan Flamingo dovetail marker

Review by RGtools posted 03-21-2011 01:23 AM 4611 views 2 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Artisan Flamingo dovetail marker The Artisan Flamingo dovetail marker The Artisan Flamingo dovetail marker Click the pictures to enlarge them

About a year ago I managed to stumble across a friend, Julio Alonso Diaz is a fellow woodworker and lover of hand-tools. It’s not surprising that we got along. Anybody who has seen some of his work can say that he has really dedicated the time to become good at it.

And then he started making tools, a dangerous move. Mostly for my pocketbook. He started making these dovetail markers out of fruit-wood and exotics (mine is Cherry and Wenge). I wanted one from the first minute and went on a ridiculous quest to get it. (shiping from Spain is an interesting experience.) I had it shipped to my work, one day when I came back from lunch I had a wonderful surprise waiting on my desk. Wrapped in shavings that I assume were from a plow plane I uncovered a treat. Cherry and Wenge, such a small thing and yet so many details, so many surfaces all of them artfully considered and executed. Perfection is simply the wrong word for something like that, perfection implies a lack of whimsy, too much symmetry and not enough color.

What I held, was not perfect, it was full of life. Some may think that to say something is not perfect is that same as saying it has flaws. What I held today disproves that to me. It lives in that land in-between, where so many seek to be and yet few are ever able to get there. So what word can I use to describe such a fine thing?

I can think of three masterful, beautiful, and most of all, treasured.

Thanks Julio, keep up the great work.

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

507 posts in 1989 days

#1 posted 03-21-2011 04:46 AM

I like my Veritas dovetail markers, but really I wanted to comment on your hanging system for your planes – ingenious! I’m totally going to steal that :)

#2 posted 03-21-2011 04:55 AM

I own a 1:8 by Veritas, it’s a good tool, but it lacks soul (Julio’s is a 1:6, so I use both). Also handy on this marker is the quarter inch “lip” opposite the main marking surface, it’s useful for marking the top of the half pin (in other words only one pair of dividers is needed when using this marker)

I wanted to mention, this is not the marker you buy it you are concerned about price. It’s worth it if you aren’t.

Thanks for the comment on the plane rack. It was a fun project and there are some more detailed pics on my profile. The only thing I would do differently would be to use dovetails instead of rabbets and an Alan Peters joint instead of a dado, but it was meant to go together quick.

View Chelios's profile

Chelios

#3 posted 03-21-2011 05:18 AM

If you don’t mind me asking how much was the dovetail marker? It is a beauty

View Julio Alonso's profile

Julio Alonso

#4 posted 03-21-2011 10:40 AM

Oh my God ! I´m almost crying, such a honor to be able to read that sensitive review, it is very impresive to see my work on the other side of the world, in the marvelous rack of my knid friend
I couldnt be happier if someone asks. Terrific words !! and very well done dovetails. As I tould before I´m planning to film a video to explain the features of this marker, but I have first to bring the new bad axe dovetail saw with me and finish a new old-fashion marking gauge I´m working on. A million THANKS for making my woodworking journey worth it

-- http://muebleshayabusa.wordpress.com/

#5 posted 03-21-2011 03:01 PM

Here is the link to the things. I would not quote you a price because shipping is the more expensive part and it varies state to state.

View David LaBolle's profile

David LaBolle

#6 posted 03-21-2011 03:39 PM

Nice review. Great job on those dovetails.

-- When we build, let us think that we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work as our descendants will thank us for