Shop Fox w1820

Review by waldo posted 03-18-2011 08:18 PM 4382 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Shop Fox w1820 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have had my new Shop Fox for about 2 weeks now and I’d like to think that I have put it through the paces by now. The saw is 230v and 3hp, comes with dado insert, push stick, blade, wrenchs, etc. It took roughly 2 hours or so to get this thing put together and ready to go. I looked at the Grizzly g0691, but didn’t like that I could be denied the liftgate by the trucker, I live at the end of a cul-de-sac, so I went with the Shop Fox, there is a dealer 30 miles from me.

Moving on, this saw is incredible by all counts! I have fun dadoes at 3/8 with no problem at all, crisp and clean and trust me, no issue with power. I have been making cabinets out of hickory and have run about 50 board foot through this saw and absolutely clean cuts, good glue lines and no power loss whatsoever. I wish I could get into a more technical aspect of the saw, but I’m not that kind of guy. I do have a Wixey gauge that I did use to set the blade, but it was within .01 of square at 0 and .02 at 45, which is well within my goals and I could fine tune to a perfect 90 and 45 with no issues. I can’t say enough about this saw really, the riving knife is great, the splitter works great, all in all I am thrilled with the purchase, which was $1507 included tax, out the door price. The grizzly g0691 was $1539 plus $35 for liftgate, so I saved a little and got to look at the packaging etc. before accepting. There wasn’t a scratch on the saw at all, packaging was perfect. I know this review is all over the place… I had a 1 1/2 hp jet contractor saw that was wired for 220v and I can’t believe the difference in cut quality.

-- One miscut away from firewood...

View waldo's profile

waldo

View 2bigfeet's profile

2bigfeet

#1 posted 03-19-2011 03:32 AM

Congratulations on your new saw. Nice looking machine. Nothing like that new toy smell…!

View shopmania's profile

shopmania

#2 posted 03-19-2011 04:15 AM

beautiful looking saw, wish I had a 50” fence like that! 30 is usually enough, but sometimes not, and I have to drag out the circular saw. SawStop has a contractor 1.75 HP model now about 2300 out the door. drooling! Enjoy your new saw!!

-- Tim, Myrtle Beach, DrTim@ONeillChiro.com- Just one more tool, that's all I need! :)

View waldo's profile

waldo

#3 posted 03-21-2011 12:22 AM

Thanks for the comments!!! I love this saw! I had to go with a 50”, I’m building cabinets that are 42” tall and the others I have built have been 36, makes it much easier. Those SawStops are nice, I just didn’t have the bread to get the one I wanted with everything else I “had to have”. LOL

-- One miscut away from firewood...

#4 posted 03-25-2011 07:37 PM

Congrats to you!!!!! Nice tool!!!!1

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#5 posted 03-25-2011 07:42 PM

I’ve had a freaky affection for ShopFox for a long time. It’s nice to see that you’re happy with yours. I may introduce their bandsaw to my home soon.