Bosch Jigsaw 1590EVSK - It is a sweet tool

Review by SPalm posted 02-29-2008 08:49 PM 9971 views 2 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bosch Jigsaw 1590EVSK - It is a sweet tool Bosch Jigsaw 1590EVSK - It is a sweet tool No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is one of the best tools I think I have bought. I had a cheap Sears jigsaw for years and only used it when I had to. This baby is a joy to use. The T-style blades are just clipped in place and eject with the press of a button. Blade changing is almost fun, no more allen wrenches. The variable speed trigger is very easy to control. The blade rides up and down guided by a set of V shaped ball bearings which hold the blade true (these can be flipped out of the way if wanted). The power (6.4 amps) is way more than I have ever needed. It can cut through 2 inch maple no problem. Switching to a metal cutting blade and controlling the blade speed to a slow crawl allows metal cutting like I have never had. There is a dust blower included. It also has a variable aggression control that allows the blade to only cut on the down stroke and then back off for the up stroke.

My only complaint would be that there is no dust collection.

Highly recommended. Jigsaws are not for babies anymore.

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View SPalm's profile (online now)

SPalm

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#1 posted 02-29-2008 08:54 PM

I have been looking at one of these for a while now. I have a Milwaukee now and I don’t like it at all.

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#2 posted 02-29-2008 09:02 PM

Like GaryK I have been looking at a jig saw upgrade. I have been looking at Green one at the blue box, but I have been thinking about saving my dollars up for this bad boy too. I too have an older Sears jigsaw that just works me to death, my neighbor has an older model from the same line and it cut thru the steel on my riding lawnmower like butter during the upgrade to add a cup holder. I broke like 3 blades on the Craftsman after 10 minters of work (stopping to change (new) blades was the time killer), he walked over and said use this one and I was done in like 2 minutes. The T-style blades are just awesome.

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

View Russel's profile

Russel

#3 posted 02-29-2008 09:09 PM

I have one of these and I can second what Steve says. This has been one useful and reliable saw.

-- Working at Woodworking http://www.VillageLaneFurniture.com

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#4 posted 03-01-2008 04:02 AM

My friend has one of these and it is one trick tool!!! I have used it and didn’t want to give it back. Has plenty of powercuts are nice, comfy feel to the handle. when I get a jigsaw it will be this one for sure!!!!

-- --Chuck

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#5 posted 03-01-2008 11:40 AM

I bought one recently, but haven’t used it yet. Thanks for the review.

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#6 posted 03-01-2008 12:06 PM

this is the same one I have. I love it. It will be withme for a long time

-- making sawdust....

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

#7 posted 03-07-2008 07:48 PM

I purchased this Bosch 1590EVSK Jigsaw a couple of years ago and like many of you have stated, it was an upgrade from an el-cheapo Craftsman. It cuts smoothly with any material on which I have used it. The adjustable orbital stroke, the adjustable speed, and the precision blade guides make it easy to make a smooth, accurate cut.

SPalm, Bosch offers a dust extraction kit accessory for this jigsaw, part # JA1005, available from Amazon for about $15 or from www.toolsdirect.com for $10.31 (current price, USD).

I have never had any regrets for any Bosch tools I have purchased!

JimC

-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".

View mrtrim's profile

mrtrim

#8 posted 03-07-2008 10:54 PM

i have a bosch jigsaw but its the barrel handel not the d handle . i like the barrel handle because i use it to cope large crown moulding with . thats kind of tricky cuts and i have better control with it but for most other jobs the d handle type work as well or maybe better . ive had mine at least 10 years and just recently replaced the cord other than that no problems , no regrets . good review steve

View sidestepmcgee's profile

sidestepmcgee

#9 posted 03-18-2008 06:37 AM

i have one and use every single day , for trim work.made a hitachi, dewalt, black&decker all explode in a years worth 4th time was a charm.

-- eric post, tallahassee FL

View dataman's profile

dataman

#10 posted 05-09-2008 07:06 PM

I purchased the bosch 1591EVSK

Features appear to be about the same. Its basically the same saw with a different grip and a couple of additional features. Since its so simmular I didn’t post a new review.

I have never had such an accurate jig saw before!

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#11 posted 05-09-2008 11:23 PM

dataman – What additional features other than the grip?

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#12 posted 07-02-2008 12:11 AM

Hi Guys;

Like everything else both have advantages. I have both styles and normally don’t care which one I’m using.

We did a project a few months back which required cutting up three steel doors. These doors were in the hanger building in Atlantic City airport, so being part of F.A.A. and working with government regulations, sparks and fire were not permitted.

They were twelve feet tall and sixteen feet wide. They were constructed using 16 gage sheet steel on both sides, spot welded to 1/8” x 2 1/2” mild steel channel, which was used as the structural parts of the door, spaced at 12 centers. And of course they were filled with a fiberglass mat to make the job more enjoyable.

To do this job we bought a couple Bosch 1590EVSK saws. (not wanting to use cabinet shop saws). Barrel handled saws would have been very difficult to use here. These saws were used to cut the steel skins into manageable sizes. We had to switch back and forth between the two saws because they got too hot to hold. Hence the reason for not using barrel handles. Plus the size of the barrel would have been difficult to hold for any length of time. They were being used far harder than they were designed to do, and over the course of the job we did manage burn one up and have to replace it.

I’m sure by now your thinking this nut is an animal with his tools, but not so. It’s just the cost of the tool was insignificant in the overall scheme of things. It had to be viewed as a consumable.

To cut the steel channel we used a Porter Cable Tiger Saw. This saw is one I bought when they first came out, maybe five years ago or so. Maybe longer than that . THIS SAW IS A BEAR!!!

I used to think Milwaukee was the way to go for a sawzall, and I still have a few of them, but this is one of my favorite hand held power tools for the construction business. The ability to turn the cutting head and “bend the body in half” makes cutting anywhere possible.

In addition to cutting the channel, it was also used to cut the 3/8” thick track and beams these doors were mounted to. I’m happy to say that this saw survived the abusive nature of the job!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Well I did get off topic there but if you ever need a heavy duty sawzall, that’s the one to get.

Now I gotta go get a shower. Thinking about that insulation made me itchy! lol

Lee

View JAshcroft's profile

JAshcroft

#13 posted 09-24-2008 03:50 AM

A month ago I puchased the 1590EVSK Jigsaw during the Bosch tool demo at our local home center. I was in the need for a jigsaw so I “test drove” the model that I eventually purchased. I am quite impressed with the performance. It doen’s vibrate my hands to sleep and is very smooth.

The blower feature works fine. This saw works better than I thought for hugging lines when I need to trim off the excess before I use the flush trim bit in the router.

I recommend this jigsaw.

Joel

-- It's all good... http://spcascades.railfan.net/westernLumberCo.html

View gr8outdrsmn's profile

gr8outdrsmn

#14 posted 12-27-2008 10:44 PM

I got this jigsaw for christmas, and it is great. well worth the money.

-- Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

View Sam Fladung's profile

Sam Fladung

#15 posted 02-12-2009 06:23 AM

I recently bought one of these and fully agree that they are awesome. The previous jigsaw I used was one of the cheap ones from one of the big box stores (I think it was around $40) which I couldn’t cut a straight line with with a straight edge. I guess you get what you pay for sometimes.

This saw is easy to control and has made light work of everything I’ve thrown at it so far. Even without a guide I can pretty much freehand a straight line (or other shape) without it wandering all over the wood. The blade change is also really nice and hassle free.

-- http://www.sfladung.com