Woodworking Techniques

Review by Mike Lingenfelter posted 2369 days ago 2124 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Woodworking Techniques No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is the latest DVD I’ve purchased by Christopher Schwarz. The DVD covers a way of working with your tools, either hand tools or power. In his demonstrations on the DVD he uses hand tools, but I talks about where power tools can or should be used.

His approach of Course, Medium and Fine when it comes to: dimensioning lumber, cutting joints and shaping curves isn’t an earth shattering concept. Although I think most of us are guilty of skipping one of these steps at one time or the other. Skipping any of the steps will effect the amount of work you have to do, or the quality of your final finish.

When I was primarily using power tools, I was skipping the Medium step most of the time. This caused me to spend a lot time sanding (Fine). I just thought a lot of sanding was part of woodworking. If I had spent more time on Medium, my sanding time would have been less. As I started to use hand tools, I quickly learned there are different planes to do Course, Medium and Fine work. Trying to remove a lot material with a Smoothing Plane, only causes you to burn a lot of calories and wastes a lot time.

Overall, this is an excellent DVD and I recomend it to anyone who is starting out with hand tools.

View Dorje's profile

Dorje

I’ve wondered what the “coarse. medium & fine” referred to in the title of this video! Makes sense now!

-- Dorje (pronounced "door-jay"), Seattle, WA

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

Chris Schwartz knows his stuff. I think he does a great job as editor.

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

well, that sounds like a pretty simple tip that everyone should go by!

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

Mike Lingenfelter

Rikkor, I really like Chris’s writing style too. He does a pretty good on camera too. I have a few others of his DVDs. I’ll try and put out reviews on those too.

View Tomcat1066's profile

Tomcat1066

Thanks for this review. This DVD is one I’ve been looking at getting, and this review just tipped the scales!

-- "Give me your poor tools, your tired steel, your huddled masses of rust." Yep, I ripped off the Statue of Liberty. That's how I roll!

Tomcat,

I’m sure you will enjoy the DVD. I’ve already watched it a couple times now. Next on my list is Chris’s Forgotten Hand Tools DVD.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

I think I’ll have to check this out! Thanks.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

Looks like I’ll be getting one, great review.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View Jeff's profile

Jeff

Thanks Mike. It sounds like the videos are as good as his books and articles. Not surprising but good to have the affirmation.

-- Jeff, St. Paul, MN