Black & Decker JS660 Type 1 Jig saw

Review by JohnAjluni posted 03-15-2011 11:06 PM 5275 views 0 times favorited 36 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Black & Decker JS660 Type 1 Jig saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well I got this Jig Saw at Ace Hardware and I am very pleased. I saw that it came with a 2 year warranty. I also saw its reviews which where all 4-5 stars! Another thing that struck me was how many features it had. After I un boxed it I felt it and it felt very well built. I ran some tests and it cut all types of wood with ease! It can make fairly sharp turns and the cuts are pretty clean. So if you are looking for a new Jig saw any time soon please consider this one!

#1 posted 03-16-2011 02:40 AM

for me as still a kid it works gret haha i am sure there is much better products out there!

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

856 posts in 1949 days

#2 posted 03-16-2011 02:50 AM

I have a B&D Jig Saw. Biggest POS on the planet. I hope yours treats you better than mine does.

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

View wilterbeast's profile

wilterbeast

#3 posted 03-16-2011 04:14 AM

hahaha your gonna find out on here everyone has their opinion! lol. about 10 yrs ago my mother bought me a skilsaw jig saw, in my mind i figured what the hell it was nice she tried and when it wears our i’ll go buy a nice bosch jig saw. after i about 10 yrs and i dont know how many thousand of cuts i’ve made with it its still going strong! i’ve used it to cut metal and all kinds of things. good luck with it i hope it works out for you.

#4 posted 03-16-2011 04:48 AM

for me not doing To many big things at the time it works great!:)

5386 posts in 1927 days

#5 posted 03-16-2011 04:51 AM

Glad you like it!

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

#6 posted 03-16-2011 10:19 AM

Thanks for playing D-Fense wseand;)

#7 posted 03-16-2011 03:18 PM

If it does what JohnAjluni wants ,then it is all that matters what ever other people’s opinion might be.
Any one can be negative with no reason.
This is easy to do and it requires no brain to do it.

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

#8 posted 03-16-2011 04:05 PM

John,
I hope your saw does everything you want it to, for as long as you need.

5386 posts in 1927 days

#9 posted 03-16-2011 04:10 PM

I wish the OPs review was a bit more detailed. I presently have a Skil jig saw, and the sole is bent (I dropped it), and I can’t get it quite straight again…. I am looking for a new jig saw, don’t want to spend a ton of money on one as I don’t get a lot of use out of one, but they are handy when you use them… I have had very hit or miss luck with B&D quality wise. For example my B&D plunge router is so bad and unsafe I wouldn’t even wish it on my ex brother in law (B&D owes me an apology for this POS), but my B&D Firestorm miter saw is a nice saw for its type. (10” non slide compound miter saw) that just screams quality from top to bottom, front to back, and side to side. It even has a decent (not great) blade. I have had some B&D cordless stuff, screwdrivers and a cordless drill that were okay, and I like my B&D Ti coated twist drill bit set, and I have a B&D pressure washer that keeps the driveway and sidewalks from getting too nasty. I guess it’s about 10 years old now…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View superstretch's profile

superstretch

#10 posted 03-16-2011 04:27 PM

@dbhost – I have either the same saw or something very similar. When I bought my house a year ago, I needed something cheap and this was.. It also has some decent features and is very easy to handle. The vibration is slight and there’s some good bulk to it. I’ve cut through solid core doors, 3/4” plywood, 3/8” plywood that was wet.. In each case, it flew through the cut, almost over-cutting sometimes because it went so fast. It doesn’t bog down much, even on thick stock, and leaves a pretty decent cut. I wasn’t expecting much from it, so I’m pretty surprised. Its not a tool I use often, but it gets the job done.

I’d go 4/5, just because I know something else out there would be better, but it does what I want and does it well. (Bought it for $29.99 on sale at Lowes)

-- Dan, Rochester, NY

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#11 posted 03-16-2011 04:57 PM

You guys are cracking me up. I bought this saw out of desperation when I was at my sister’s house helping her hide some ductwork. I found it impossible to square the base to the blade, no matter how hard I tried. Didn’t matter too much for the job, though. When i got it home, I elongated the points where the base attached to the saw & was able to square it but it didn’t stay set very long. I guess it did what it was supposed to do, kind of. A jig saw is kind of a wasted tool on me, for what I do. It seems like either a bandsaw, a circular saw, a scrollsaw, a coping saw, or a reciprocating saw works better for any project I planned to use a jigsaw on. I wouldn’t beat myself up too much if my jigsaw weren’t perfect. Festool makes one, so someone must need a good one! :)

View Brrman's profile

Brrman

#12 posted 03-16-2011 05:03 PM

Like Bertha, I find it impossible to keep my B&D square to the stock I am cutting. Half way through my cut I find the base has tilted – even though I have tightened the set screw as tight as it will go.

It’s just a jigsaw, not a tool that one uses for fine work. I use it to cut stock down to just oversize, etc. I leave any finer work to the newer Bosch I have. But the B&D got me by in a pinch and I used it for several years before buying a better one. I think you’ll do just fine with it, John.

-- "Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect..."

View CampD's profile

CampD

#13 posted 03-16-2011 05:08 PM

Like any saw, its the blade that does the work!

-- Doug...

View superstretch's profile

superstretch

#14 posted 03-16-2011 05:24 PM

Like I said, I don’t use it for many things.. I didn’t have a problem with it staying square.. Always was tight when I checked. I used it to cut an opening for a cat door in an interior door (so the dog couldn’t get in the closet to get at the litter box, food, etc) and then cutting out notches for beams in the plywood I put down for flooring in my shop. Maybe the model is terrible.. Maybe I got an anti-lemon. In either case, its worked perfectly for me.

-- Dan, Rochester, NY

View 747DRVR's profile

747DRVR

199 posts in 2052 days

#15 posted 03-16-2011 05:43 PM

I had a similar B&D jigsaw that I could not get the blade square to the sole.The front of the sole was twisted one way and the back of the sole the other.I bought it to cut a hole for a pocketdoor lock in a door and there was at least a 1/4” difference from the upper part of the cut to the bottom.Had to use a chisel on one side to get the lock to fit.Ended up giving the tool to my FIL.Now if I buy an inferior tool I am quick to return it