Home made Spindle Sander

Review by mzmac posted 03-15-2011 07:27 PM 7619 views 0 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Home made Spindle Sander Home made Spindle Sander No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I tried to list this as a project and I was denied. So in an effort to let everyone know about my review of this product…...

$6 bucks at your local hardware store.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#1 posted 03-15-2011 09:25 PM

well we can see the hardware
but we can´t se what , why and how neither in the pictures or the text
so back to the keybord and make a blog instead and share all your thought´s about it
and the build of the tool incl. how to use :-)

take care
Dennis

View rance's profile

rance

#2 posted 03-15-2011 11:29 PM

Dennis, I suspect 5/16” threaded rod, skate bearing, nuts, and your favorite drill press. Make a hole in your DP base to fit the bearing. 22mm I believe. Looks good MZ.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View therookie's profile

therookie

#3 posted 03-15-2011 11:39 PM

very nice how well does it work?

-- http://aewoodworks.webs.com

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#4 posted 03-16-2011 12:51 AM

Okay – Where is the review?

View wseand's profile

wseand

#5 posted 03-16-2011 01:10 AM

A project should be something made by you and made of wood.

-- Bill - "Freedom flies in your heart like an Eagle" Audie Murphy

#6 posted 03-16-2011 04:22 AM

Wow! Lumberjocks should be the kind of place where a guy can try to help others. I guess I thought this might help my fellow woodworkers. Didn’t know it need a lot of explanation. If there is a better place to list this item, please let me know.

It is just as the sharp witted rance deduced (Thank you for your comment). Very simple build. Not sure that I should need to explain the building process. The rod diameter needs to fit your spindles. It is used for sanding. You attach a drill to the end of it and hold on to the bearing. Pretty strait forward.

As for the functionality; it was a life saver on the Maloof rocker. It works great. If your project has a curve in it; this can help.

I saved about $80 by not buying a similar set up model out of grizzly.

View DaleM's profile

DaleM

913 posts in 2035 days

#7 posted 03-16-2011 03:54 PM

Thanks MZ. This looks exactly like what I need to make.

-- Dale Manning, Carthage, NY

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#8 posted 03-17-2011 12:30 AM

Don’t get your nickers in a bunch, mzmac. I wondered if you’d forgotten to post most of the review above too. Yes, Rance gave the details for you, but you can’t blame people for being confused when you just post a couple of photos and little else, calling it a review. Some people like to actually read a few details to back up the five star rating. Can’t blame them for that…

#9 posted 03-17-2011 05:26 AM

This is what 99 44/100 % of us consider to be a spindle sander:

Apparently your device seems to be used for sanding spindles on a rocking chair and an explanation in your review would have been the right thing to do.
”$6 bucks at your local hardware store” is not a review…it’s barely even a sentence !
Did you pay $6 for everything in your picture ??

#10 posted 03-17-2011 06:50 AM

Again with the hate.

Thank you Dusty56 for your part in identifying a key component in the tool. You will need sanding spindles from your already purchased Spindle Sander. Then with a trip to the hardware store you can build the following product for $6 bucks or less.

I use this spindle sander like setup to make wood smooth. It works great. So even if you didn’t understand before, (From my somewhat less then wordy description. LOL) All 99 44/100 % of ya should be able to find my posting at least a little useful now. It was more fun discovering the design and use of this tool together anyway.

I would love for someone to point me to the section of this website where a guy can list such an item. Please!

Dusty56 you had the same problem.
HELLO , I’m not sure if this is posted in the correct place , so bear with me , Site Police . LOL…I ALSO POSTED IT IN THE forums section , but was unable to post any pix there. It’s too bad that there isn’t anywhere here specifically to post items that we find on sale to help out our jockbuddies. (that I know of )

StumpyNubs
You posted a picture of a child in a tub to highlight your $5 Fine Woodworking Finewoodworking.com Online Membership. Explain that one.

Just saying, ease up on my review.

#11 posted 03-17-2011 01:42 PM

There’s no hate involved here.
Simply put , Nobody knows what you are reviewing …. The sanding sleeve , the nuts , the threaded rod , the wingnut , the bearing ??? Maybe it’s the flat washers !!
You offered a review with nothing but the price in your post and give it 5 stars and now you’re complaining about hate when we are trying to get some info from you about your award winning project. We can all see that it is a sanding sleeve with a rod attached to it , but never having seen anything assembled like this before , can you blame us for asking questions about it ? If you didn’t want to share the “how and why” , why tell us the price ?
You complimented(?) rance for deducing the components and its use involving a drill press and inserting the bearing into a hole made in the base of it , and then proceed to tell us that the bearing is a handle and you mount the unit in a handheld drill…wtf ,over ?
Thank you for spending the time to go thru my old posts . You could have given everyone a link to the post you are referring to so that they could read the whole thing and judge it for themselves , not just your excerpt from it. Here , let me help you with that.
http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/690 Have a great day !

View reymundo42's profile

reymundo42

#12 posted 03-17-2011 01:45 PM

mzmac,
We have met the enemy and he is us! Sadly, you are a classic example of the failure of our education system to properly teach writing skills, spelling and grammar.

Reveling in ones’ own inadequacy is on par with the Dayton Police department being forced to lower the passing grade on the civil service test for minorities. An “F” is now the new “C-” where Attorney General Eric Holder is concerned. What a tragedy for our society.

You can keep silent and no one will know how ignorant you are or you can speak and remove all doubt.

Your comment, “If you have any other questions on this item, I probably can’t help you any way.” speaks volumes about you. I’m surprised that you received any comments at all.

IMHO, You’re in good company with your woodworking skills. Your Maloof rocker is a fine example of your talent, however it may be best leave the writing and reviews to others. Stick to woodworking and let others do the writing.

-- Life is short...we should hurry to do good.

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

6940 posts in 2086 days

#13 posted 03-17-2011 04:25 PM

mzmac:
Keep coming with ideas that may be of help to other LJs. It would be good to be able to list such items as “LJ made tools/jigs/helpers”. I’m sure that there are many LJs who have something to share that might help others. Just be sure to give a brief explanation of the item and what you use it for and be ready to answer questions.
Just keep those ideas coming.

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

#14 posted 03-17-2011 06:17 PM

I do humbly apologize for disrupting the friendly nature of the review process. I would like to see more positive comments on where to list such items.

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

6940 posts in 2086 days

#15 posted 03-17-2011 06:30 PM

mzmac:
You might want to PM Miss Debbie and ask her. She will have all the answers.