Wixey Saw Fence Digital Readout

Review by Crushgroovin posted 03-15-2011 at 03:03 AM 6220 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wixey Saw Fence Digital Readout No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was super excited when I got this at Rockler a couple weeks ago. They had a great sale spend $100 get $30 off and I thought this would be the perfect little add on to my newly restore G1023.

So today I finally decided to put this slick little sucker onto my TS. Instructions are not what I like but they are easy enough to figure out. I drilled hold in my tubes got the rails of the DRO connected. Then went to attach the hangers to the DRO Rails and, well nothing as in it wouldn’t tighten down tight. I tried all 4 tightening by hand but none of them would get tightened and stay that way. As soon as I got them tightened down they would pop right back out.

Why in the hell do companies make a really nice product then ruid it with a chincy bolt? Each of the four bolts that hold the brackets onto the DRO rail were stripped. Yep the fancy damn bolts that fit into the channel so they can slide into the correct spot were all stripped within seconds of attempting to install them. Worst part is they are not something I could go pick up at Ace Hardware they are pretty specific for this application.

Other than that the system is really cool. Much more accurate than anything else that isn’t made by Incra. Which now looks like my best option.

Oh well I will return it to Rockler tomorrow and get my Incra setup with my G1023.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#1 posted 03-15-2011 at 03:12 AM

Thanks for the heads up. That is a good question. Why do they do that? Save a buck, I guess.

#2 posted 03-15-2011 at 03:17 AM

Save a Buck LOSE a Hundred! It’s the corporate way!

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#3 posted 03-15-2011 at 03:26 AM

Shot term thinking ;-(

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2566 posts in 2069 days

#4 posted 03-15-2011 at 05:33 AM

I have one. No problem installing it or using it. I’ve had it for about a year and, while it can be finicky at times requiring recalibration, it has worked well.
I have also found that an email to Barry Wixey produces results. I had some questions and they were answered promptly. Try emailing from the Wixey website (I have read other comments that he is not accommodating, but that was not the case with my questions).
Ellen

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#5 posted 03-15-2011 at 09:05 AM

I have one also. No problem installing it.

However, I made a big mistake. I attached the green strip to the rail upside down. Surprisingly, it worked just fine for a while. Then it started giving me bogus readings. Finally, I discovered the mistake. When you peal that green strip off and attempt to reattach the glue does not hold. Had to supplement it with some CA glue.

FYI – This thing goes through batteries quickly. I replace about every 3 months.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#6 posted 03-15-2011 at 09:22 AM

Any fine thread will strip if you cross thread it. If it screws in hard, back it off and try again. You can’t hork it down and then complain about the screw. Just my two cents…

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

#7 posted 03-15-2011 at 09:49 AM

I also bought one of these and installed it on a Biesemeyer fence on my Unisaw. It worked exactly as advertised and installed without any problem. Stripping four screws in a row sounds like an operator problem more than a product defect. I later replaced the Wixey unit with an Incra LS fence, but that was to perform some specific cuts that I wanted to make and not because of any fault of the Wixey unit. I have three other Wixey units (angle gage, height gage, and planer readout) and all work perfectly. Just my opinion.

#8 posted 03-15-2011 at 11:24 AM

It’s not user error. If you take a moment to look at my blogs you will see I know what am in doing as far as machines go. I have restore over 2 dozen broken woodworking machines in the past 6 months alone. I am quite adept at this sort of thing.

Sounds like more Kool Aid Drinkers with tiny little Egos. This is such an amazing phenomenon in the woodworking community. People who freak out when someone has anything negative to say about their particular pet product. Mostly happens among lonely old men who find it necessary to respond to every post they don’t completely agree with. I would suggest that if you LOVE your Wixey so that YOU go post a review of your own.

Damn I get so sick of these idiots.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2566 posts in 2069 days

#9 posted 03-15-2011 at 12:48 PM

Whoa!! Somebody needs a hug! (just kidding!)
Seriously, the beauty of this site is that everyone tries to be helpful to each other. I read the responses here as trying to be helpful to your dilemma. No one was criticizing your skills as a gearhead or a woodworker… just making suggestions as to the product.
Thank you for your comments on the screws. They may help someone else to watch for this when installing the gauge.
Ellen
(I am not a lonely old man and I don’t respond to every post… just the ones where I feel I have something to add to the post. And… I don’t appreciate being called an idiot!)

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

#10 posted 03-15-2011 at 01:06 PM

I didn’t call you an idiot Ellen. Nothing you said was negative. Obviously you are not a man, which should have been the first clue that I wasn’t referring to you…

I get too much BS from random idiots on LJ’s. I have no clue why. I put up a post of my experience, then next thing ya know someone is attacking me. It has to due to the anonymity of the internet. People say things they would never say in person to people they have no knowledge of. I don’t go through people blogs and randomly attack people. I have much much better things to do with my time. When people like that hit my blogs, reviews, or projects I ban them. I have had too many very bad experiences with people whose only participation is going through the threads and attacking people.

I mean seriously these people don’t know me or my background but suddenly “You can’t hork it down and then complain about the screw” uhm excuse me. Yes I am probably overly sensitive because of all of the crap I have taken from strangers on this site. I just get sick of it. I know these people would never ever say these kinds of things to my face. I also know that I would have no problem saying it to theirs.

90% of the responses and interactions I take part in on LJ’s are great. I have developed relationships with some very smart talented people through LJ’s. I have freely shared my experience and knowledge with others in a respectful way. I show respect for others and get the same back. But 10% of the time some moron gets loose. I have never one single time found it necessary to be negative regarding anyone else’s blog, review, or project. Go through and look at every single post I have had on this site and you will see positive encouraging posts on others threads.

So yes there are some idiots on this site and, as I would if they were standing in front of me, I have no problem pointing it out to them.

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#11 posted 03-15-2011 at 01:32 PM

My experience … with Harbor Freight ... has been sickeningly similar: everything I’ve bought—if it uses hardware—causes me to take a few trips to MY collection of hardware-store-bought hardware to get it built.

If I don’t HAVE the particular fastener on hand, then … almost every time … I have to pull out my tap and die set, and clean up the munged threads.

It’s a PITA. I agree.

-- -- Neil

View Rick's profile

Rick

#12 posted 03-15-2011 at 05:16 PM

Crushgroovin:

Thank you for your comments about the few that seem to hop from Post to Post for no other reason than to leave a “Negative Comment” and Usually contribute NOTHING to the Post or Topic at hand. Mr “Hork” is one of them. He just did the same thing on a Post that I had commented on. I think he’s upset because I “Blocked” him a month or so ago, which DOESN’T prevent him from “Jumpin on Me” in someone elses Post.

I’ve also given up on giving any kind of lenghty advice, usually with Pictures, when someone has asked for “Help”. IF… they even continue to follow their OWN Posts, there is very seldom if ever a “Thank You” from them. It has nothing to do with my Ego. It has more to do with either their Lack of a Healthy Ego or Lack of “Good, Old Fashioned, Good Manners”.

Sorry to be totally off Topic here but you hit a Soft Spot and I was Pleased to read what you said about these types of “Yaa Hoo’s”. Most?...”Ah! It’s not worth the effort.” WRONG!! “The Gene Pool is in Dire Need of More Chlorine!”

-- COMMON SENSE Is Like Deodorant. The People Who need It Most, Never Use It.

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

#13 posted 03-15-2011 at 06:15 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

This is one of my favorite splurge items that I have bought for woodworking. My problem was that the two pieces that you need to butt joint were not square so I had to square them myself. After that I have had zero problems with the gauge.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

View Howie's profile

Howie

#14 posted 03-16-2011 at 08:35 AM

Crush: you are entirely correct about a “few” that seem to always have negative comments and nothing positive.However if you notice, LJer’s quit responding to their comments and sooner or later these people move on to other sites where they can agitate someone else. Just remember life’s too short to put up with people like that.

-- Life is good.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#15 posted 03-19-2011 at 10:43 AM

I have this item, but it was purchased 18 months ago. It performs as advertised, but has a habit of losing calibration from time to time. But I use it all the time, and set up things by decimals, instead of fractions. I keep a conversion table hanging right near the saw. The bolts they shipped with it were just fine…........but….....

Recently putting together a stand than came with my scroll saw, and modifying it to be a drill press stand, I came across a bolt that was just totally cast wrong. It was unreal. Fortunately, it was stock bolt, and I had a replacement in the shop. I think this is what Neil was saying also.

The point here is, I think that these companies change suppliers from time to time, and sometimes a new low ball supplier substitutes a lower spec item, or does poor quality control. I think that good tool suppliers have figured out how to maintain quality control, while purchasing from a country, China, that is all over the map in terms of quality. I would guess that Wixey has not figured that one out yet, and ended up with a bunch of bad bolts. It might actually be a build to spec company in China, that substituted the low quality bolts, and some guy on the sly pocketed the difference. Witness the adulteration of milk with melamine that killed babies.

I hope Wixey sees this post, or you complain directly to them, crushgroovin, they will suffer if they don’t figure this one out fast.

Posts like this are important for LJ’s, and important for the company that is being rated. I think Wixey had an unintended quality change by a third party. But it is Wixey’s fault for not paying attention.

Jim