Great Caliper

Review by matt garcia posted 1235 days ago 4271 views 1 time favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Caliper Great Caliper Great Caliper Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have to tell you, there are plenty of measuring instrument companies out there offering fractional reading digital calipers cheaper than this one. When I first got this in my hands at our monthly sales meeting, and experienced the ultra smooth movement on the slide, and the fact that it returns to zero every time, I was intrigued.

The guys at Insize approached our company about becoming a dealer. They brought in many measuring instruments, and passed them around the room. Every one I handled had ultra smooth movements, and always returned to zero whether it was digital, or dial reading. I asked the CEO is there was a fractional reading caliper, and he handed me the 1102-150. I went around measuring everything on my desk, in fraction, decimal, metric converting it back and forth from fractional to decimal to metric. It was extremely accurate.

The CEO was very excited also about the case. This case is designed to sit on the bench, and open with just one hand. It has rubber non-slip feet on the bottom, and a long clasp on the top along with a hinge and opens flawlessly. I’ve had mine a few weeks now, and have not returned to my trusty old Starrett fractional reading dial caliper. This one is much nicer! So nice, our company is now an Insize dealer!! These measuring instruments are flying off the shelves at work!!

View Dandog's profile

Dandog

Starrett is the best .second is mitutomyo why use anything else just convert it or use a chart.

-- life an woodworking is one big experiment

matt garcia

You convert it, I’ll use this and spend more time woodworking, not glued to a decimal chart. You know, isn’t it amazing that there are people here on this website that comment on others postings, but never have anything relevant to say? This was a tool review, not a debate as to which tool is better, or if you want to stare at a decimal chart, or form some joinery? I am getting sick and tired of jack asses commenting on my postings, and projects that have ABSOLUTELY NO PROJECTS OF THEIR OWN, and yet make derogatory statements about my staining process, and how they would do it. I already said it was my first time to use Watco Danish Oil, and was inexperienced with it. Get a life, Mr. Perfectionists!!!

How do you know Mitutoyo or Starrett is better than this measuring instrument? Have you tried them all? Have you tried this one yet? I know you haven’t because they are a new company here in the United States. Why not just post your ignorant rant on my relevant tool review? I happen to sell both Starrett and Mitutoyo where I work, and this one is BETTER.

View KayBee's profile

KayBee

Nice review, thanks. The one handed opening of the case is a nice feature About how much does this run? And what size batteries. (I have a stash of the wixey sized ones.)
Okay, I’m a former high end cabinetmaker from a family of tool and die makers. They laugh a lot when I tell them about woodworkers that insist on starrett for wood. That’s usually followed up with comments about “more money than sense” and “didn’t need starrett until I been a journeyman for years.”

-- Karen - a little bit of stupid goes a long way

matt garcia

Kaybee, first of all thank you for your positive contribution to my relevant tool review. I rather enjoy comments that have some brain waves inspiring them! I believe we sell these for around $70.00. They have a 1 yr warranty, and we were told that if one is defective within that warranty period, they will replace it. This instrument comes with 2 CR2023 batteries. I agree, if you are used to fractions, why even take a chance on converting from decimal and getting it wrong on lets say a 16” wide piece of mahogany or figured maple you had hopes of building a great piece of furniture with, all so you can say “What, me worry?”.

View wseand's profile

wseand

How do you really feel Matt? ;>)~ I liked the review, it is always nice to have choices in life. Does it seem sturdy enough to past the test of time. I like the conversion feature who the hell wants to convert crap in their head if the damn tool does it for you.

-- Bill - "Freedom flies in your heart like an Eagle" Audie Murphy

matt garcia

Bill to answer your question: Alfred E Newman.

Yes, we also sell cheap Chinese and Indian measurement instruments where I work, and this is far superior, especially for woodworking. I mean, I use my caliper to measure boards off of the jointer before and after going through the planer, and also to set my dovetail bits on my Leigh Dovetail Jig for blind dovetails. I don’t think I’ll ever use it under water, unless we have a flood!!

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

Thanks for the review Matt.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

matt garcia

You’re welcome, Charles!! How are you today? Ran into any jackasses today? I wonder what I will encounter when I blog about replacing the saw blade arbor bearings in my tablesaw later on this week? Werner Von Braun?

View wseand's profile

wseand

Ah SNAFU. A man of many personalities yet has the same dumb look on his face. I like it.

-- Bill - "Freedom flies in your heart like an Eagle" Audie Murphy

View DavidH's profile

DavidH

Good review Matt, i know how you feel… that’s why i’ve for the most part moved away from LJ’s .. started my own blog, and started communicated with woodworkers over at woodtalkonline.com… don’t get any where near the “viewers” to my personal blog but oh well those that i communicate with via it only care about advancing the craft…..

-- David - Houston, Texas. (http://www.justsquareenough.com/)

View tdv's profile

tdv

Matt I worked as an engineering turner for some time & we used Moore & Wright, Starret primarily & Mitotoyo when they first arrived here in the 70’s & they were great but with the new digital tools with push button conversion they are amazingly accurate & so convenient, even the cheap ones, so I’m with you we cant live in the past & after all I can’t plane wood to half a thou anyway
Trevor

-- God created wood that we may create. Trevor East Yorkshire UK

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

Thanks for the review -

It seems like I am buying a new digital caliper every few months. I have discovered that they don’t hold up well if you spill coffee on them or if you drop them on the floor.

This case (if I use it) may alleviate those problems.

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

Thanks for the review, Matt. I used to think woodworkers didn’t need high precision measuring tools until I saw the work of woodworkers using high precision measuring tools. I’m well trained in math but I’ll even use a fractional CALCULATOR simply because it’s handy :) I appreciate your review & will keep an eye out for these.

Hi Matt,
At first glance , I thought it was a review of a Grizzly (green) caliper , so I ignored the post.
Then I noticed that you were the poster and I had to pay attention to it : )
I have a digital caliper and your positives on this one equal all of the negatives on the one I have, except the price. Having to reset to zero on each use is ridiculous in this day and age. That being said , the actual measurements seem to be right on despite the headaches.
Next time , I will spend the extra bucks on something like this unit : )
Thanks for your review , Matt !

View DLCW's profile

DLCW

Matt,

Do you have a website we can go to to get more information, ordering, shipping, etc.?

-- Don, Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks - http://www.dlwoodworks.com - "If you make something idiot proof, all they do is make a better idiot"