Rockler's Concealed Hinge

Review by ChunkyC posted 03-13-2011 07:06 AM 1740 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler's Concealed Hinge Rockler's Concealed Hinge Rockler's Concealed Hinge Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased some of these so that I could finish my upper shop cabinets. The hinges didn’t come with installation instruction but an email to Rockler’s Tech Support got me a PDF of “installation instructions” in about 2 days. The instructions are vague but there was enough information so that I could suss out how to install them. They really don’t tell you the set back for the hinges and where to pre-drill so I installed a set into some scrap to get the correct measurements and then made drilling jigs from that. It was a lot more work but it insured a perfect installation.

Installation was made easier by making drilling jigs, one for the door and one for the cabinet. I made the jigs for full inset doors and full overlay doors. I covered the holes that wasn’t being used with blue tape to eliminate drilling in the wrong places.

Installation was easy once I had the jigs made and the first set of doors hung. There’s plenty of adjustments to get the reveals as you want them. I wish I could have had the door pre-hung and ready before I hung the cabinets but it wasn’t meant to be. So that added a level of difficulty that would have been easier with a second set of hands. If you do like you should and pre-hang the doors before you hang the cabinets, life will treat you much nicer!

The other nice thing about the hinges are there are plenty of extra droppers in the bags! Rare to see that these days with companies pinching every penny they can. I also had a code for free shipping which I never turn down!

At a price of $16 / pair they get a little spendy when you need 6 sets. I think I have almost as much in hinges as do in the lumber!

From Rockler:

• Low profile minimizes protrusion into cabinet.
  • 3-way adjustability and surface mounting ensures perfect and simple installations.
  • Nickel plated.
  • Self-closing.

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

856 posts in 1973 days

1 comment so far

#1 posted 03-15-2011 02:55 AM

I have used this style before as well. Good to know I can find them at rockler. I like them for inset doors – no mortising required.