MT2 Drill Chuck

Review by ChunkyC posted 1130 days ago 2965 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
MT2 Drill Chuck No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Harbor Freight 1/2in MT2 Mini-Lathe Drill Chuck

I purchased one of these last week based on a posting from LJ member Hairy. I paid $14.99 + shipping which is a good price for drill chucks with the arbor! A high precision chuck it’s not and this chuck isn’t going to win any contests for the best chuck of the year but it does make a good chuck for woodworking.

The chuck that I had for my DP wouldn’t chuck up smaller bits so I needed to do something. I’ve been looking at the chucks and arbors from McMaster and MSC but they are expensive to say the least. Too much so for woodworking. I just don’t need to spend $200 for a high precision chuck to bore a hole in wood.

The chuck does come covered with that sticky oil / gease (I can never remember the name of that stuff) that needs to be removed. I wiped it down with mineral spirits and a rag and called it good. But after trying to chuck up a bit into the drill, a quick wipe down was not going to cut it. The chuck was pretty hard to move so holding the bit, the arbor and the key was real treat. It had a lot of that grease up inside the chuck that was causing it to be rather stiff. So I just dropped into a cup with some mineral spirits and let it soak for a few seconds. That’s about all it took to loosen up all of that gunk. I then added a couple drops of light oil ot the chuck.

The reviews for the chuck at HF talk about the chuck being too long. I’m not sure what the reviewers are using the chuck in but it’s too short for my DP. Well that is to say that my drift isn’t wide enough to remove the chuck and the drift would just pass right through the opening. I had to be creative in order to remove the chuck from the DP.

All in all, I’ll buy another one if the need should come up.

So to recap. If you’re doing high precision metal working, then move on, this is not the chuck for you. If you doing basic woodworking, then 4 stars.

Thanks for the tip hairy!

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

View hairy's profile

hairy

1891 posts in 2030 days

You’re welcome! I use mine in the lathe, I haven’t tried in a drillpress.

Inflation is a bummer, that’s almost twice what I paid, maybe 3 years ago.

-- brown shoes don't make it...

View REL's profile

REL

Little Machine Shop has low priced chucks and arbors; both keyed and keyless types. I believe I got the tip either here or from Sawmill. The quality was good! I also purchased a keyless chuck at a good price from Wookcraft over a yaer ago. By the way they sell these chucks and arbors for a lathes. Is there any difference if it is used for a drill press?

-- REL, North Jersey

ChunkyC

Other than the arbor being a little too short for my drift to knock it out properly, no difference at all. That is as long as your DP has a #2 Morse Tapper, and most do.

I’m not a believer in a keyless chuck on a DP. Seems a “little” to unsafe for me. Not that I’m the safety police.

c

View dbhost's profile (online now)

I need one of those for my lathe!

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

75 posts in 2069 days

Thanks for restating the caveat that we get what we pay for, given the typical Harbor Freight abundant shortcomings. The statement that it is “too long” explains why a #2 morse taper is intended for the lathe. Drill press tapers are about 1/2” in length.

And, yes, keyless chucks (“I’m not a believer in a keyless chuck on a DP. Seems a “little” to unsafe for me…”) are not intended for DP application.

Steve What??

Drill press use a #2 Morse taper. Are you thinking about the Jacob’s Taper that the chuck uses? An arbor has two tapers, (1) A Morse taper that fits into the drill press shaft and a Jacob’s taper for the chuck to fit onto the arbor. I think this chuck is a MT2 and JT33.

The “Too short” portion that I was referring too was the Morse Taper being a little too short for my drift to work with it. A Morse Taper is 88mm (3.46”) in length. This chuck doesn’t have a tang, the “nib”, on the end making it a tad too short.

They certainly sell a lot of keyless chucks with Jacobs Tapers. I assume that they are intended for something other than drill presses but they will certainly easily connect to a DP with little effort and the correct set of wedges.

View stratiA's profile

stratiA

I just got one of these as well. Seems to be decent esp for 14.99. I am still trying to figure out all the proper use and applications for these on my mini lathe.

-- Strati Alepidis, Burlington, Ma, Member Red Sox nation

75 posts in 2069 days

“Are you thinking about the Jacob’s Taper that the chuck uses?” I stand corrected, Chunk; thank you. My error.

View Raymond's profile

Raymond

I have the same chuck on my lathe and it works great. I need to get another one for my drill press, as the chuck in my drill press does not close down to hold the small bits i use. There again maybe i’ll get a small bench drill press.

-- Ray

75 posts in 2069 days

Very detailed explanation coincidentally, see :http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?38619-Trials-and-Tribulation-to-make-a-simple-pen.&p=339793