best deal for a remote dust collector switch

Review by drewnahant posted 03-09-2011 02:39 AM 4043 views 4 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
best deal for a remote dust collector switch No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was going to buy a longranger for my dust collector, but I decided to look around for alternatives, and I found this. four outlet switches with two remotes for half the price of a single longranger, how could I go wrong? The two big green outlets are rated for 15 Amps, and the two white ones are only rated for 10 Amps. my 1hp dust collector is rated at 6 Amps, so I tried one of white ones, and the startup surge popped an internal fuse, I shorted the fuse, and it works fine, doesnt seem to hurt any of the other electronics, but just to be safe, I switched to one of the big ones, no problem. I hooked up the other big one to my air compressor, very handy since my air compressor is down a flight of stairs, and I hate turning it on and off when im using my nail gun or sander. now I have two extra outlets, Im thinking some extra lighting in my shop. This is an awesome deal!

View drewnahant's profile

drewnahant

View timberwolf43's profile

timberwolf43

#1 posted 03-09-2011 03:14 AM

good idea, i might have to try this.

View gpastor's profile

gpastor

#2 posted 03-09-2011 04:10 AM

who makes them?

-- Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life. Proverbs 16:31

View merle's profile

merle

#3 posted 03-09-2011 04:31 AM

what store has them??

-- merle

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#4 posted 03-09-2011 04:39 AM

Superswitch is the manufacturer. you can get them on amazon and eBay. they are not designed for power tools.

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.

View Mike's profile

Mike

#5 posted 03-09-2011 10:32 AM

I did the same thing with the Christmas remote light switches since I can’t reach the switch on my DC. I also use them in my house since the smarty pants who did the electric didn’t put any switches in the place that I rent. Love when people have new ideas with existing tech.

-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.termitecrafts.com

15304 posts in 1933 days

#6 posted 03-09-2011 12:05 PM

Interesting post, I have a 2 hp DC so not sure 15A will cover this. I’ll have to do some math and rig up an inline amp meter so I can see its start up amprage draw. I know I cant plug my DC into a power strip as it pops it whice is a 15amp. While this will work for some, I would be interested in anyone that has tried this with a 2hp machine.

Thx for sharing.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#7 posted 03-09-2011 08:38 PM

When I was putting up the Christmas lights this year, I found in my bin of lights a remote control that I had bought for turning the lights on and off. I hadn’t used it in many years since I had bought a different one with a light sensor in it. I immediately thought of using it on my dust collector and checked the amp/volt ratings and it was compatible! It works awesome…now I can turn the DC on and off from my tablesaw across the room! Woohoo!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

#8 posted 03-09-2011 09:20 PM

The price is good enough that if it won’t work on the DC , I have other uses for it .
Thanks for the review and the great idea : )

View Roger's profile

#9 posted 03-10-2011 03:56 AM

nice review, and good information. thnx for posting

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View bigike's profile

bigike

4034 posts in 2033 days

#10 posted 03-10-2011 04:13 AM

thanks for the heads up.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View adidas28's profile

adidas28

#11 posted 03-10-2011 06:58 PM

I just went through this, too. First I bought the iVac product from amazon.com but that never worked. I could never start my tablesaw (even with the dust collector not plugged in).

So I moved on to some X10 components from www.thehomeautomationstore.com. I paid a bit more for the Pro version of their products, but it seems to work really well so far. I bought the following two things, and that was all I needed.
A receptacle
A wireless remote

I did pay a bit more, but since this is a 20A setup, I felt pretty comfortable with it.

View Jahness's profile

Jahness

#12 posted 03-11-2011 12:56 AM

Maybe I should steal my wifes clapper and try that.

-- John

View tt1106's profile

tt1106

#13 posted 03-11-2011 05:47 PM

I too use my Christmas lights switch. It is the outdoor variety, with the locking plug receptacle. So the cords won’t come out, even if stretched. I mounted the control on the side of my table saw, so I can just reach over the side and press the button when I fire it up.

-- -Todd

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#14 posted 03-12-2011 12:32 AM

I bought a set very similar to this from harbor freight, except the HF ones are just the white ones. Anyway they work great- FOR A WHILE. But then the remote buttons started crapping out one at a time.

Hope you have better luck than I had.

View Bsmith's profile

Bsmith

#15 posted 03-27-2011 04:39 AM

I went the cheap way first. Just received my Woods 3255 outside remote. Ordered from Amazon and received it in three days. $14.00 plus shipping. It looks sturdy enough. Recommended for 15 amp but I’m using it on my HF dust collector and it’s working fine. Clipped the remote to my apron and turn it on and off from where ever I happen to be. This way I can tuck my dust collector in the corner out of the way. Very happy with this purchase but time will only tell. I’m a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

-- Bryan