Ridgid DP1550 newbies point of view.

Review by gillyd posted 03-08-2011 06:15 AM 9092 views 1 time favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid DP1550 newbies point of view. Ridgid DP1550 newbies point of view. Ridgid DP1550 newbies point of view. Click the pictures to enlarge them

First off, I’d like to say a few things to give you a bit of context around my review.

This is the first drill press I have ever owned. I have used some before in the past, being from a farm my dad always had all kinds of tools in the shop, and a Drill Press was definitely one of those tools. As a child all the tools intimidated me, seeing all of the belts hanging on the walls, the torch scraps on the floor, etc. Now that I am all grown up and have kids of my own, its very interesting to look at these tools and think back to being a child, and what my own kids must be thinking.

Now on to the review.

Price: $299 + Tax

Assembly Time: 3 hours.

Delivery

Pro’s

• Came on time, driver helped me get the drill to my garage. I had come prepared with a dolly, but he still helped me.
  • Driver was very polite, and advised me to take pictures of the product before signing the delivery sheet.

Con’s

• As you can see from picture #3 there was damage to the box in the corner. Once I saw that corner I started thinking “ah crap” this is going to be bad. I had been excited to get started on my workshop, and getting a decent drill press was something I wanted to do. Now I was looking at possible damage to the drill before I even got it out of the box. Fortunately, there was no damage to the drill, it was mainly the packaging. Fortunately for me, the corner was right where the end post is, so nothing soft and squishy was there to take a beating from the damage.

I did want to note that this has nothing to do with the score, but was part of the event and I thought it was worth noting.

Packaging

Pro’s

• Well wrapped, all the parts inside were placed very well and nothing was missing.

Con’s

• Damage everywhere to the box, I didn’t include all the pictures, but the damage to the box was pretty extensive. Had there been little washers, or smaller bolts that weren’t packaged correctly they might have fallen out during shipping. Again, just noting the damage, does not impact the score.
  • A boat load of packing grease was used, almost too much in my opinion. In fact it accounted for over half of the assembly time as I had to use mineral spirits on almost all of the parts, and then apply wax. The most annoying part was under the table, they had used some kind of wax paper that must have been soaked in packing grease and placed around it. The problem was that it had hardened to the post under the table so I had to scrape it off, and that took a lot of time.

Assembly

Pro’s

• Pretty easy for someone who isn’t used to owning heavy cast iron tools. I had it in my mind that this was going to be hard to do, but once I opened the box and looked at it, I barely even needed the manual. I think a total of 16 pieces.
  • I actually enjoyed using the mineral spirits and applying the Johnson’s wax. The smell of the materials brought me back to my childhood again, as I remember my dad using and reminding me to use all kinds of greases, he couldn’t remind me enough that it was important to take care of your tools. I think he owned stock in WD40, with as much as he used to use. Funny enough as I was applying the wax, my daughter opened up the garage door and said “whats that smell”. I had to smile.
  • Everything fit really good, and no missing parts. I didn’t have to force any bolts, or hammer any edges off.

Con’s

• The motor in the back was tilted, I didn’t notice it before, but as I was looking at the machine once fully assembled it looked bad. So I had to loosen the bolts in the back and level it.
  • The table wasn’t square out of the box, looked to be off by 1/32, so I adjusted it. I really didn’t expect it to be perfect out of the box.

Fit and Finish/Thoughts

Pro’s

• Runs nice and quiet, actually really surprised me. I figured for $299 dollars + tax, it would run loud and growl at me.
  • Heavy, heavy, really feels like I got a solid piece of equipment.
  • Table seems adequate until I can get my own built around it.
  • I like the speed choices, and the belt adjustment is very easy.

Con’s

• Did not like the chuck installation. Not having much experience with drill presses leads me to wonder whether or not all drill presses are this difficult. Its not the actual physical act of installing it, its the wondering afterward if you did it right. I expected to hear a click, or a snap to let me know it was in the right spot.
  • The depth of the drill setting. Kinda cheap if you ask me. I looked at a few drill presses before I bought this one, one being a GI-200 and another being the Delta 959. Those I liked, but they were much more expensive. They had an excellent mechanism for setting how deep you wanted the bit to go, etc. It will work, but not as nice as the other machines I mentioned.
  • Little more top-heavy than I’d like it to be, will have to keep an eye on this.

—————————————-

Conclusion

4 Stars. It didn’t blow me away, but I have to keep reminding myself that it was $299 dollars. I think for that price its tough to beat. I think I’ll get a better feel for it as I use it more. I would recommend to anyone to add your own fence and table to it, as the one that it comes with is pretty small. Also, I might even consider anchoring it to the floor or building a wide base for it, feels kinda top heavy for me. I was glad I got a floor standing model vs. a bench top. I’ll update this review as I get more time to use it.

View gillyd's profile

gillyd

#1 posted 03-08-2011 08:57 AM

Thanks for the nice review. I also have this model and have enjoyed it thoroughly. Give the depth stop a few tries. I actually find it quicker and easier than the vertical nut-on-rod type.
Isn’t the spring action in the handle just perfect?
I feel like a drill press is a pretty basic tool, and I spent a lot more time choosing my router and tablesaw. Afterall, it really only needs to drill straight accurate holes. I found that a woodworking table added to the DP makes all the difference.
Thanks again, and I hope you enjoy your new purchase.

View Rydell's profile

Rydell

#2 posted 03-08-2011 11:37 AM

Thanks for the review! I actually ordered mine from Amazon this past Friday for $299 shipped(Amazon Prime). It’s scheduled to arrive on Thursday, so I’m pretty psyched to get it all put together! This will be my first drill press as well, so your review was particularly beneficial to me. I’ll be ready with mineral spirits and wax in hand! Good luck with the new DP!

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

#3 posted 03-08-2011 05:23 PM

I’m with Barry. Great work and very useful info!

#4 posted 03-08-2011 08:06 PM

Excellent review, a great job.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#5 posted 03-08-2011 08:17 PM

nice review. as for the finish cons:

1. chucks – they are all the same. the mount is based on the taper of the arbor which holds the chuck with nothing more than friction alone – you should make sure the arbor and chuck mount were both super clean and free of debris and DRY – thats all. there is no click, or anything because what holds the chuck to the arbor is the metal friction against metal… if the chuck is held in place and drills straight – you did it right ;)

2. top heavy – thats actually ALL drill presses…

3. depth stop – I had the same depth stop on my delta DP and I actually really liked it – very easy to setup relative stops and works quickly.

Enjoy! looks like you got a winner.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View gillyd's profile

gillyd

#6 posted 03-09-2011 04:33 AM

Thanks for all the comments.

This week I will be posting a review about my new Grizzly G0715P, its sitting in the garage in the package (I cut it open just to take a sneak peak) and its ready for me to tear into it. Just need the time.

I also have some new ideas for a few blog entries as a series that I will be authoring, more to come!

View bluesmarky's profile

bluesmarky

#7 posted 03-09-2011 04:59 AM

Got one – does a great job!

-- bluesmarky..........................................."If you're here & I'm here, doesn't that make it our time?"

15159 posts in 1911 days

#8 posted 03-09-2011 12:14 PM

I have to agree with the above statement, ” what a great format and clear review you have produced.” You made intersting to read. I’m note sure which floor model DP I’ll be buying in the future. I have a table top one now that has served me for many yrs but I have always wanted a bigger one. Boys and their toys!

Nice post.

View Will Mego's profile

Will Mego

#9 posted 03-09-2011 10:38 PM

I wish all reviews were as complete and well written! Thanks for taking the time

-- "That which has in itself the greatest use, possesses the greatest beauty." - http://www.willmego.com/

View Chelios's profile

Chelios

#10 posted 03-11-2011 04:38 AM

I got this one and really like it too. My light bulb fixture doesn’t work though. It never did.

View psxstudio's profile

psxstudio

#11 posted 03-16-2011 07:26 AM

I just picked one up today from local HD. I was watching the price for about 3 weeks… it was marked down to 254 and it wouldn’t go lower. I talked to the manager today and got it lowered to 200. I told him “I really want the DP and it’s been sitting here for a long long time…” I even asked if I could use 20% HF coupon but that was no go. =] I’m totally happy with the purchase.

JB

View ncdon's profile

ncdon

#12 posted 03-16-2011 12:03 PM

Nice, clear, concise review. I know what you like and don’t like. I’ll probably graduate to a floor model DP in the future and will consider the Ridgid based on your review.
Give that depth stop a few days, I think it will grow on you. Thanks for your post.

-- Don, North Carolina,http://www.ncdon.com Working full time at retired.

View jbmfc's profile

jbmfc

#13 posted 03-31-2011 04:53 AM

Nice review. I’m happy with mine as well, after a couple months of use now.

-- Jim - http://www.moypiano.com

View McLeanVA's profile

McLeanVA

#14 posted 06-06-2011 11:04 PM

Thank you for taking the time to write the review. I just returned from HD about 30 minutes ago and bought the same model. Sitting in the back of the truck waiting to be unpacked. I noticed some of the same box damage you mentioned and the guys at HD said that if I open it and there is damage to simply return it. Here’s to hoping my set up is as easy as your was. Happy drilling. At $299 I’m not expecting anything more than straight repeatable holes.

-- Measure, cut, curse, repeat.

View 303Woodwork's profile

303Woodwork

#15 posted 07-10-2011 01:26 PM

Nice reviews. Found this site that has other reviews and reviews on other presses Ridgid Drill Press Reviews

-- Gotta love woodworking!