my review of the new unisaw

Review by sawdustphill posted 03-06-2011 04:27 AM 4555 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
my review of the new unisaw my review of the new unisaw my review of the new unisaw Click the pictures to enlarge them

Extes- express delivered my new 3hp unisaw on march first. It came in five boxes. when I opened the big
box I noticed I didn’t get the black folder they advertise my manuals were in a plastic bag, I don’t know whats
up with that And the wrench did not have the soft grip on it, I think delta is trying to cheapen up.
But on a posative note the drawer was metal with full extension drawer slides, not the cheap mdf I saw
on the one they had at woodcraft in Lexington, Ky.
The throat opening is wider on the uni, I really like that because I can get my big hands inside.
and the grease fittings for the trunion is easily got from the top through the throat opening. I really love the riving knife it was easy to adjust in line with the saw blade which it was not from the
factory nor was the blade paralell to the miter slot, but it was a lot easier than my old 64A contractors saw
to dial in.
It took me most of the afternoon to get it set up, I used a 36inch starrett straight edge, a dial indicator
and a incra gauranted sguare to set everthing, Delta did a good job machining the cast iorn table and
extension wings. The biesmeyer fence was dead flat I could not get a .0015 feeler guage between it and the
starrett straight edge.
The saw blade that came with it is pretty decent but it chipped the veneer on 1/2 in. russian birch pretty bad
when I switched to my forrest woodworkerII I got a nice clean cut.So when Scott Phillips said he used
their blade for all his projects, I believe he exaggurated. so I got my saw up and running and have since built an outfeed table (an almost must, since they put the blade toward the back) , And a crosscut sled,
nothing fancy but it cuts dead square. The 3hp motor has plenty of power to rip through 8/4 hard maple,
and still ask for more, I put a 3/4 inch wide 8in stacked dado set on it today and still had plenty of threads
left.they sent a different nut to use on a dado blade, it stores in the drawer.
well thats my take on the 36-L352 unisaw thanks for reading.
I’m ready to start making cabinets.
Phillip

View sawdustphill's profile

sawdustphill

#1 posted 03-06-2011 02:18 PM

I don’t blame you at all for being excited about making some sawdust with this saw, Phil. The Unisaw is a quality saw that will serve you well for years to come.

View sawdustphill's profile

sawdustphill

#2 posted 03-06-2011 03:48 PM

deke
I love the dual wheels in the front, they work extremly smooth
as far as dust collection it is not as good as I had hoped , but that might be my 1 1/2hp dust collector
the bag probably needs cleaning . I haven’t done that for a while.
Phillip

View Tauras's profile

Tauras

#3 posted 03-06-2011 05:24 PM

Looks awesome sawdustphill!
I just made a Woodcraft online purchase of mine (36”). Woodcraft had their 10% sale with free shipping. I did have to pay $80 for residential and lift gate service.

-- Russ

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

3613 posts in 1947 days

#4 posted 03-07-2011 05:05 PM

Hey there,

What can you say about a Unisaw that hasn’t already been said….. I’ve got a 5 hp. X5 Unisaw that I got in 2009, and these things are beast….they will do anything you want them to do, and then some. Not had one lick of trouble from mine, and if set up properly, you won’t either…..Enjoy the toy…...Sounds like you are…

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......

View Joe's profile

Joe

#5 posted 03-11-2011 10:57 PM

Welcome to the club brother. I have had mine over a year now and I love it. Congrats on you new saw.

-- Senior Chief

#6 posted 03-13-2011 07:56 AM

They are the top of the line, no question

-- Norman

View JCMeyersIV's profile

JCMeyersIV

#7 posted 04-26-2013 02:18 AM

Major tool envy here! Loving the saw!

-- John, NNY, www.facebook.com/JC4Woodworking