Not the router lift to buy

Review by misbeshavings posted 03-05-2011 09:32 PM 4637 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Not the router lift to buy No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought a Jointech router lift 2 years ago based on ratings I found in magazines – it was a “tool of the year” award winner.

Within a year, the Wixey digital indicator quit zeroing. So much for the digital advantage.

This year, the lift quit lifting. It was never really “smooth”, and I finally stripped the gears off of the incredibly poor engineered nylon gear that engages a large ring gear to accomplish the lift. Insult to injury, when I ordered a replacement gear, I was charged $6.45 for Fedex shipping, and they sent it USPS for $1.39.

Don’t buy one.

#1 posted 03-06-2011 12:17 AM

Your present photo is the same quality as the router lift , I guess …. useless.
Thanks for the heads up and I hope you have asked for a shipping refund from them.

#2 posted 03-06-2011 02:01 AM

My apologies for the photo – it is impossible to post a review without one, and that is the best I could do from the seller’s site. I did address the shipping costs with the retailer, (www.jointech.com) for the refund, and was told “I will pass it on”, lol.

edit: I uploaded a better picture I found on a google. cheers.

112096 posts in 2233 days

#3 posted 03-06-2011 02:45 AM

Wow That’s very disappointing and expensive . Sorry for your troubles.

#4 posted 03-06-2011 07:03 AM

Now that’s a better picture : ) Thank you.
For $5 , I would keep pestering them…LOL

View Howie's profile

Howie

#5 posted 03-06-2011 03:00 PM

I seem to find that the reviews on this website tend to be more “accurate” than the magazines. Guys investing their money are more prone to “tell it like it is”

-- Life is good.

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1926 days

#6 posted 03-06-2011 08:52 PM

Sad to hear….It is always a shame to hear about a company that just doesn’t understand what customer support is about. They may save or make a few bucks by ripping off one customer….but the overall cost can be pretty dramatic when you see what this bad review will do to potential customers. I will definitely pass on this company. It is the typical risk analysis…the more risk you take…the less you want to pay.

I was curious about the wixey? Did you ask to have that fixed? I have looked at the wixey as a possible addition to my router table in order to set up repeatable/accurate cuts. So far I have not heard much about the remote depth gauges…..but if this is a common problem…then I can avoid this tool.

Thanks for your review…..I agree with Howie that users make more realistic reviews….Most of the magazines…etc….are being paid by the company for their “review”....or the company is one of the advertisers in their magazine (how could you print something negative when you are counting on them for advertising revenue?). The other thing that the magazines and such do not touch upon i s the customer support….to me this is a make or break on whether I buy their product….part of the cost of an item is the ongoing support…otherwise it is a very risky acquisition….if I am going to buy something and be on my own about it’s maintenance and such….I certainly do not want to pay a premium price.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View abie's profile

abie

#7 posted 03-06-2011 09:05 PM

i tools BBB Rating…. an F

BBB Rating for iTools Company

Based on BBB files, iTools Company has a BBB Rating of F on a scale from A+ to F.

Factors that lowered this business’ rating include:
7 complaints filed against business
Failure to respond to one complaint filed against business.
BBB does not have sufficient information to determine how long this business has been operating. BBB made two or more requests for background information from the business. BBB has not received a response from this business and/or has not been able to verify information received from this business.
BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business. BBB made two or more requests for background information from the business. BBB has not received a response from this business and/or has not been able to verify information received from this business.

Need I say More.
the products look good but execution is a failure.

too bad

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

#8 posted 03-07-2011 01:01 AM

To address comments and a question;

I did not contact Wixey about the “lost zeroing” issue. I have heard that their customer support is good. I may try to retrofit the indicator on the Incra lift I have on order; if it will fit, I will call them.

Twice I have researched items and magazine reviews, once for a laptop computer, which was given the highest marks by a leading PC magazine, and this “best tool of 2004” router lift. The laptop maker went out of business a year after the laptop was purchased, and I think Jointech will be close behind, as no resellers are offering their products anymore. Reggie got it right; magazine reviews are worthless if any manufacturer reviewed advertises in the magazine. They will NOT bite the hand that feeds them. Caveat Emptor.

View woodklutz's profile

woodklutz

#9 posted 03-07-2011 01:38 AM

Bad customer response to problems by companies is what drives consumers away. Reading about a company on pro sites like LJ as you have done help others make proper decisions. Thank you!. $5 is $5 it is your money I hope you get it back, a very petty company.

-- honing my craft one mistake at a time.

View traupmann's profile

traupmann

#10 posted 06-14-2013 07:40 PM

Has anyone been able to find a source for replacement parts for the Jointech Smartlift? I’ve had it many years, and have repaired it many times, including the digital system.

Jointech went out of business, so those of us that own the lift need to be able to repair it or buy new. Is anyone knowledgeable of the issues?

-- chas -- looking for Serta sponsorship to go Pro...