Great Clamps Period, the price is just a bonus

Review by patcollins posted 1236 days ago 3212 views 1 time favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Clamps Period, the price is just a bonus No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a bar clamp from Harbor Freight. I only bought two because I wasn’t sure how good it would be and some stuff from there is junk. These beauties only cost me $3.99 each but when I got them home and used them I could not believe the value in this purchase. The screw has a very nice rubberized grip which i like alot better than a simple wood handle. The rubber pads are nice and study and actually stay on, I tightened these puppies down and they did not slip at all.

I bet if you added $10 to the price, slapped another name on them and changed their color and put a Made in the USA stick on it that there would be people claiming these were the best clamps ever. Not sure I would go that far but next time I am at Harbor Freight I am going to load up on these.

To top it off they have a lifetime warrenty, if you do break it just take it back to a HF store and you will get a new one.

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

I have about million of these ;-) and been using them for years. best kept HF secret.

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.

View Abbynormal's profile

Abbynormal

agree the 6” and 12” are nice and sturdy, great clamps for the price, they have them on sale a lot also

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

I have 2 dozen of those 6” and 12” I bought when I started this hobby about 2 years ago.
They are OK for general clamping.
They do have a lot of play in them.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View Luke's profile

Luke

Ditto everything above. I have a ton of them. They’re no bessy’s but they are awesome for the price.

-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com

View lc48's profile

lc48

lol i also have a couple of those clamps. i would like mto get more of them

View cwdance1's profile

cwdance1

Very hard to beat for the price, I too have lots of them.

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

I bought a whole bunch of 6” last time, got one that is a little warped but other than that the rest are great.

View Popsnsons's profile

Popsnsons

I also bought two of the same. Used them and went back when they were $3.99 again and bought two more. I use them all the time. I’m probably not done buying them…can never have too many clamps!!

I would stay away from their squeeze trigger clamps. They don’t hold tightly and you can only apply so much torque on them before they feel like they’re going to blow apart inside of the handle.

-- Pops ~ In So Cal...

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

The Pittsburgh stuff at HF are generally decent quality. I avoid Central Machinery. I have a collection of their F style clamps and I like them. I also picked up a set of their drill press table clamps. They are around 10 bucks a piece, usually, but are often on sale for around 4 bucks. I also buy their impact sockets. Less expensive than the big box overseas normal sockets and at a much higher quality because they are designed to be used with an impact wrench.

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

I have a few of them and for the most part happy. However, when you are looking to buy these at HF, be sure to inspect them closely before you pay for them. They very commonly have alignment problems where the two clamping pads are not in alignment with one another and this can cause problems in use. Just double check them before you leave the store and you won’t have any problems. Other than that little tidbit of a problem, they are a great value.

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

Their one handed clamps stink.
I’ll have to try these.
Thanks for the tip.

-- Having fun...Eric

View AmandasHusband's profile

AmandasHusband

I think I have eight of the 6” and 12”. I got all of them for $2.99 each. The ones in the store are always picked through so I took a chance and bought them online. I think one of the 16 is a little warped.

They aren’t even close to smooth like the Jorg’s or Bessey’s. But for the price I could care less. $48 I’ve spent on 16 clamps. Less than it would cost me for five 12” Besseys.

-- In this world there's two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

I’ve had good luck with these so far as well , but I do check out each one closely before buying them.
HF Quality Control was out to lunch on several occasions ! LOL
Certainly worth the money , especially when you get them on sale for half price !!
I’ve actually had more issues with the small Besseys not holding up than I have with these clamps.
Regarding The Jorgensens : I have yet to have any problems with them : )

View Dave's profile

Dave

I love these also. We have a HF near and there stock of these is always poor. I guess the locals know the quality to. I have had 2 or 3 of mine slip a little when I have really got down on the clamp.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

View Raymond's profile

Raymond

I to have tons of them. In all honesty I have not had a bad purchase from HF. And I have several tools from them.

-- Ray