Cannot tighten bits in Triton Router

Review by Paul posted 1239 days ago 3889 views 1 time favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Cannot tighten bits in Triton Router No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

When using the 1/4 inch collet adapter I just cannot tighten the bit securely. I know enough to leave it not quite bottomed out in the chuck and I know that if I tighten it any more it will shear the router away from the mounting plate. The 1/2 inch bits seem to be much more secure. I think the way it is it is a dangerous situation because the bit will ‘climb’ out from the collet.
I E Mailed the Triton people over a week ago and have gotten no response (yet).
Has anyone else had a similar problem with Triton or other brands?
Thanks,
Paul

-- If you say 'It's good enough', it probably isn't.

View Paul's profile

Paul

Bertha

I just bought this router but haven’t used it yet. I don’t have an answer for you but that certainly makes me nervous. I’ve had a bit climb out of a 1/4” collet adapter before & take flight upward. Scary stuff. I’l stay tuned in on this one. Thanks!

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

I have Ryobi, Ridgid and Hitachi routers all that use 1/2” and 1/4” bits with a collet. No problems with any of them. If your bit is moving do not use the router until you have the problem resolved. Make sure you are using the correct size collet. There is a European size that is slightly different that 1/4”.

Bertha

I’ll pop my 1/4” collet adapter in tonight & see if it’s holding.

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

You may need a new collet….sounds like that one is defective?

I don’t have the Triton…but I did have an old PC that I got at a garage sale that had a similar problem….the previous owner had tightened the compression nut too tight on the collet and deformed it….it would not compress enough to hold a bit anymore. I tried several times to fix it by realigning it and by honing off the burs….but no joy. I bought a new collet and compression nut and the bits seem to hold tight once again. Do not know if that is similar to your problem….but I would still suspect that it is a defective collet either way.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

I have a Triton and have not had this problem. I just used a 1/4 bit for a cpl hrs with no problem. You may want to call the service center in Michigan and talk to them. If you have trouble I had the Head of R&D for Triton in the UK contact me when one of mine caught fire. They stand behind thier product so I’m sure they will fix this for you ASAP.
Ken

View Viktor's profile

Viktor

447 posts in 2017 days

If your 1/2” bits are secure, then it is obviously the 1/4” adapter that is defective and has nothing to do with the collet. Get a new adapter.

Bertha

^caught fire? Maybe I won’t try mine out tonight afterall :)

Bertha

Just read your post, Ken; happy you’re all right. It looks like I’ll be spending the $100 I saved on this router on a fire extinguisher.

View Drew's profile

Drew

I have the 2 1/4hp model and have NOT had this issue!

-- That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.” ― Aldous Huxley

Did they pack an 8mm collet with your unit by mistake?

View bvdon's profile

bvdon

Did you try more than one bit? I’ve bought bits that seems a little shy on the shank thickness.

-- http://woodwork.me

View ksSlim's profile

ksSlim

Make certain that both the collet and the bit shank are free of lubricants. Scant shank size plus oil equal slippage.

-- Sawdust and shavings are therapeutic

View Howie's profile

Howie

Several people have pointed out the possibility of the wrong collett or having metric bits. That would be the first place I would check. Did you buy this router new or from someone?

-- Life is good.

View Chuck Anstrom's profile

Chuck Anstrom

I have used this model and make of router for a year. I’ve used both 1/2” and 1/4” shank bits on a router table without any problems. I think it is a super router and am glad I purchased it.

As others have said, try a different bit or find a different collet.

Good luck.

-- Chuck Anstrom - Virginia

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2364 posts in 2036 days

I have a bunch of older 1/4” bits from my old router that I use in both my Bosch 2 1/4 and triton 3 1/4. No issues in either.