G0490X jointer

Review by TJU posted 03-04-2011 02:00 AM 4803 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
G0490X jointer G0490X jointer No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

It has taken me a few weeks but I have finally got my new planer and jointer all adjusted and running. I ran about 30 bf a cherry through them for a project I am working on. This is the first Grizzly purchase that I have made and I will definitely look at Grizzly when I go to upgrade my 9” crapsman band saw that I got for $35 on Craig’s list.
The fit and finish we about what I expected. I took about 5 minutes to file the sharp edges and scrape a few drops of paint off the jointer fence. The only difficult part to clean was the cutter head but Running some wood through it helps. You can see the track lines of the blades if you hold it into the light at a low angle but you can remove them with 1-2 passes of a plane or just some minor sanding with a ROS. No more work required than my old jet 6” (jj-6cs). I love the parallelogram design and the lever adjustment. They work smooth and it is much quicker to lock and unlock the table and move the lever than it is with my old jointer. Both beds and the fence are flat. The only adjustment I had to make was to slightly lower the outfeed bed. I could have gone through the process of raising the right side of the infeed table. I don’t think that it would have been difficult but it was only low by a few thousandths of an inch, and at over 6 feet in length I didn’t think it was needed. The one thing I was surprised at is the amount of force needed to push a board through (the board was not wider than 6”). It is not difficult, just harder than a straight knifed jointer. It may be because there is a blade almost continuously cutting. I would recommend this to anyone interested in an 8” jointer. I think that the $150-200 difference for the parallelogram design is worth it. I’m not sure that a helical head jointer is as important if you have one on your planer but I got it anyway.

Tim

-- Although the voices aren't real they have some pretty good ideas.

View TJU's profile

TJU

View TJU's profile

TJU

#1 posted 03-04-2011 02:11 AM

The only problem that I have is with how the fence slides. It doesn’t work as easy as it should but I may be able to loosen it up some.

-- Although the voices aren't real they have some pretty good ideas.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#2 posted 03-04-2011 02:56 AM

Sweet! Looks real nice from here. I get the same kinda faint lines from my Steel City Helical head planer. It’s actually better than the finish I get if my hardwood dealer planes it for me! That jointer is my first choice if I decide to go with a helical head jointer. Thanks for the review.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 2018 days

#3 posted 03-04-2011 03:00 AM

Nice review. I’m looking at a new jointer this year and was considering an 8”....I liked the idea of the parallelogram table.

I was waiting to see if they would do something in the Polar Bear Series as they have been pricing them lower upon introduction. As for the spiral knives….I bought my planer with straight knives…a grizzly 20”.

Well I got talked into changing it to a spiral head….it was not an easy task – you almost have to dissasemble the entire machine. The Spiral’s finish is the same as the straight knives….both are pretty smooth…..the Spiral is quiter a bit…...and the inserts last a bit longer. Whether you can tell the difference on a jointer between knives and spiral….I wouldn’t know…..I don’t see alot of difference….and I have done some heavy figured woods through both…As far as I have seen it would be hard to tell which board came from which machine…

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View AWoodChuck's profile

AWoodChuck

#4 posted 03-04-2011 04:30 AM

I bought one of these a couple of years ago. Fell immediately in love. Set it up and haven’t changed anything but the blades. Would recommend this to anyone.

View mfike's profile

mfike

#5 posted 03-04-2011 06:59 PM

Thanks for the review. I too am looking at 8” jointers and will probably go with the griz. As far as how hard it is to push the board through the jointer, did you wax the surface of the table and fence? That can make a huge difference.

View Elizabeth's profile

Elizabeth

#6 posted 03-04-2011 09:52 PM

I got this jointer as well and I love it. Fortunately some neighbours were able to help me lift the bed into place – the instructions actually call for a small forklift! I also had some trouble with the fence, both sliding and assembly. Haven’t moved it since I put it together, though, so I don’t have more data about that.

I’ve used paste wax on the surfaces which really makes the wood slide nicely.

#7 posted 07-21-2013 07:06 AM

I actually have the Delta DJ-20 which is nearly an identical machine. To solve the fence issue, I used a piece of Slick Tape (Nylo-tape) under the fence tab that contacts the outfeed table. Now it glides smoothly, and won’t mar the table. This specialty tape is sometimes used to make jigs slide easily, and is available at Rockler.

Nice review.