G0453Z Review

Review by TJU posted 1237 days ago 4691 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
G0453Z Review G0453Z Review G0453Z Review Click the pictures to enlarge them

It has taken me a few weeks but I have finally got my new planer and jointer all adjusted and running. I ran about 30 bf a cherry through them for a project I am working on. This is the first Grizzly purchase that I have made and I will definitely look at Grizzly when I go to upgrade my 9” crapsman band saw that I got for $35 on Craig’s list.
The fit and finish we about what I expected. I took about 5 minutes to file the sharp edges and scrape a few drops of paint off the jointer fence. I also had to fill the gear box with oil (on the planer) and clean all the surfaces. The only difficult part to clean was the cutter head and the roller bars. Running some wood through helps.
The planer is a beast compared to my bench top. 30 fpm was faster than I was expected (I’m use to 22 fpm) but it pulled the wide board through with no problem. The infeed table, outfeed table, and planer bed were flat. I didn’t pull out all of my feeler gauges, but there was nothing that concerned me. With the infeed and outfeed tables raised slightly I can only detect snipe with my smoothing plane. After one pass with my #4 I got a continuous shave the full length of the board. I also ran some hard maple through just to see how it does and the finish it left seemed better than the cherry. You can see the track lines of the blades if you hold it into the light at a low angle but you can remove them with 1-2 passes of a plane of just some minor sanding with a ROS. No more work required than my 3 knife bench top planer. I have not noticed any chip out but I haven’t run any difficult grain through it yet. I gave it 4 stars but for the money I am more than satisfied.

Tim

-- Although the voices aren't real they have some pretty good ideas.

View TJU's profile

TJU

View mainwoodworks's profile

mainwoodworks

I have several Grizzly Tools I have bought over the years and am very satisfied with all of them.

-- Measure twice, cut once, and hope for the best.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

What mainwoodworks said above. ;-)

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

She’s a beauty !

Time to put “Helical head for planer” on your XMas list :-)

-- -- Neil

View peterrum's profile

peterrum

Thanks for the review, I am looking to get a couple of Grizzly items so this was helpful.

-- Carpe Diem

View twokidsnosleep's profile

twokidsnosleep

Oh you so suck
They are gorgeous…sooooooo jealous

-- Scott "Some days you are the big dog, some days you are the fire hydrant"

Congrats to you! Both look great!