Veritas Router Plane

Review by HighRockWoodworking posted 03-02-2011 12:41 AM 4638 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas Router Plane No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My wife recently surprised me with a Veritas Router Plane and Router Plane Fence. She knows that I am like a kid in a candy store when it comes to new tools. I have always wanted a router plane but only had one occasion to even use one, it was a class that Marc Spagnuolo (The Wood Whisperer) was giving at the Highland Hardware Store here in Atlanta. I loved the tool and immediately thought of a thousand used for it but only added it to my wish list. My wife always keeps a few tool magazines for herself and when I mention something that I like she circles it for a surprise at a later time….I know she is great.

Like all Veritas the router plane was sharp right out of the box. A little honing is all that is needed but I like to try the tool out before honing just to see how it does with the factory edge, and this one did great. The plane comes with a ½” pointed blade, ½” straight blade, and ¼” straight blade.

I started by trying the router out on a dado. I used my table saw to make a rough dado in the middle of an oak board and rough cleaning it out with a chisel. I started out with the 1/2” straight blade the blade occasionally chattered but I soon learned how much I could drop the blade at one time to prevent chattering. After switching to the ½” pointed blade I was able to cut deeper with each new adjustment but the blade does leave the bottom of the dado at a slight V instead of flat. It seems as if for a dado the best is a combination, the pointed blade for the rough work and then the flat blade for the final flattening out of the bottom. The end result was a very clean dado with a very precise depth with I checked with my micrometer.

As I said starting out my wife also bought me a fence to go with the router plane. I decided to see how well the fence worked by making a rabbet on the same board’s edge. Straight out of the box it took me a few minutes to find the screw that holds the fence onto the router, I looked all in the box but then realized that the screw is stored in the end of the fence shaft, I guess I should have read the directions first. After installing the fence I decided that this time I would not rough cut the rabbet with the table saw but instead use the router plane to complete the entire cut. I quickly learned that like any other plane you have to be cautious of grain direction. The first attempt I cut to deep and against the grain and ended up with some pretty bad tear out. I started with the pointed blade flush and only dropped a quarter of a turn at a time, after not getting the results I wanted I switched to the straight blade. I was able to control the cut much better on the rabbet cut with the straight blade and after about a 1/8” down on the cut I was able to make a full turn (1/32”) with each adjustment.

The only issue I had was that I was trying to make the rabbet cut on the board’s edge rather than on the face. Part of the reason I did this was because the board was so small and I wanted to clamp it in my bench vice. It would be better to cut the rabbet using the face of the board as you have more area in which you can hold the plane flat. I had a tendency to tilt the plane but was able to make adjustments to give me a clean right angle before I was complete.

I am really happy with the plane and can’t wait to put it to use on my next project. It looks like I owe my wife a nice date night…

#1 posted 03-02-2011 01:36 AM

Cool: She is very nice to you.

View extremehobbiest's profile

extremehobbiest

#2 posted 03-02-2011 01:48 AM

I have this same setup and it is one very nice tool as you describe. Congratulations.

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#3 posted 03-02-2011 02:56 AM

Chris,

What a coincidence. I too had a chance to use a router plane in a workshop several years ago and have since been thinking of all the things that I could use one for. Just last night I got serious enough to read a few older reviews on LJs and add it to my wish list at Lee Valley.

Thank you very much for the detailed review.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

#4 posted 03-02-2011 06:36 AM

Chris,

To aid in making crisp clean cuts I was taught to score the first cut with a marking knife or utility knife. The router than ‘follows’ these scored lines and leaves a very crisp edge.

HTH,
Mark

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2

#5 posted 03-02-2011 12:46 PM

Congrats! its always nice when our better half’s surprise us with tools!

View sawblade1's profile

sawblade1

#6 posted 03-02-2011 08:47 PM

Nice score, Looks like you have a nice tool and an even better wife :)

-- Proverbs Ch:3 vs 5,6,7 Trust in the lord with all thine heart and lean not unto your own understanding but in all your ways aknowledge him and he shall direct your path elmerthomas81@neo.rr.com

#7 posted 03-03-2011 12:19 AM

Thanks for all of the great comments and I have several Lie Nieslen planes and love them but I enjoy my Veritas tools just as much. Deke yes mine did come with the sharpening adapter, haven’t tried it yet though.

Mark, good point on scoring lines before cutting, I have used that techneique for years when planing and ripping.

I definitely have a great wife. She knows that I love woodworking and working in the shop or writing about woodworking on my blog is a way that I relax. Again thanks for all the comments.

#8 posted 03-03-2011 03:59 AM

Barry, growing up my father taught me to hollow grind our chisels and planes and that is the way that I sharped for years. But we only sharpened by hand using wet stones, it was not precise but I learned to “feel” what the right angle was. I still sharpen my knives this way but prefer to use a gig and wet stone using a slight back bevel for my plane irons and chisels…...besides I can’t imagine taking a Dremel to one of my Veritas or Lie Nielsen irons! :)

View jsheaney's profile

jsheaney

#9 posted 03-03-2011 07:32 AM

I have this plane, but have had trouble with it. I bought it specifically to clean up dados on a particular project. That was white oak and I found that the blades simply did not hold up. Especially the pointed blade. It just curled up like an elf’s shoe. Maybe the white oak was just too hard for it. I don’t think I’ve tried any other woods, yet.

-- Disappointment is an empty box full of expectation.

#10 posted 03-03-2011 04:50 PM

Jsheaney, to bad to hear about your experience with the irons. I have not used the plane enough have this problem yet but we will see. I have never had an issue with Veritas before…

Barry, I miss spoke….to many years of using a term I know is incorrect. The correct term for what I was refering to on my chisels is micro bevel. I typically use a 1 degree micro bevel, which allows me to spend less time keeping the chisel sharp for just touch ups as I can remove less material. Having said this I do use a slight back bevel on both my chisels and plane irons, by using the 6” mechinist ruler trick, but it is so slight of a back bevel that I just count it more as cleaning up the back edge.

View jsheaney's profile

jsheaney

#11 posted 03-17-2011 06:43 AM

Since I had bothered to offer up my disappointing experience with this plane, I thought it fair to post again. Coincidently, I had a need to reach for it again shortly after my first post. I had to cut a notch in some red oak for a precise joint. After roughing it out and cleaning up the shoulders with chisels, I cleaned up the bottom with the router plane and took it down to the exact depth I needed. This was much smaller than the grooves and dados I attempted before and the plane did a fine job. It was definitely the right tool for the job. I’m guessing that the white oak was just too hard for the edge to hold up and it will be a more effective tool for woods that are less dense.

-- Disappointment is an empty box full of expectation.

View JeremyPringle's profile

JeremyPringle

#12 posted 08-18-2011 04:50 AM

I bought one a while ago. I love it! Liked it so much that I had to make a little box for it to sleep in a night. My next plane is going to be the plow plane.