Sweet!

Review by fladdy posted 02-28-2011 11:35 PM 2092 views 1 time favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sweet! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

When I ordered this blade I wasn’t sure what to expect, other than it being better then the general, all-purpose blade I was using to cut some hard maple on my tablesaw. This was one of the lower priced blades from Rockler wen I was looking at Rip blades and easier to justify to my wife that I needed this blade. I just got the blade today and it worked great! To give you a little background, I have a Craftsman tablesaw that I upgraded with the V poly belt. Nothing special about it, and I’m cutting 15/16” hard maple on it. As soon as I turned on the saw and put the wood to the blade, it went through like butter. It was also advertised to leave a very smooth edge, which it did. It was a lot quieter then the other blade I was using and it didn’t leave any burn marks of any kind. It was almost as good as going thru a jointer. For the price of this blade, I was very happy with it. I would highly recommend this saw blade to anyone.

#1 posted 03-01-2011 01:04 AM

Just curious, how old is your craftsman table saw? Mine is probably mid-80s, but I wasn’t able to put a v-link belt on it because of the pulley size – did you replace the pulleys as well?

#2 posted 03-01-2011 02:51 AM

Tyler They make those belts in different sizes.

View RobertT's profile

RobertT

#3 posted 03-01-2011 03:29 AM

I own the thin kerf version of this blade and it is my first choice also.

#4 posted 03-01-2011 03:31 AM

Tyler my saw is from the mid 90’s or later I think. My dad gave it to me, nice huh! Dusty is right, the belts come apart in 1” pieces so you can take links off to get it to the correct. side.

#5 posted 03-01-2011 09:11 AM

Thanks for the review. I really like my Freud 50 tooth combination blade as well. Whenever I rip 2” thick leg stock, I think about getting a dedicated rip blade. It takes two passes with the combination blade, and even then you have to send it through the planer, or make another skim cut on the tablesaw to remove burn marks. The combination blade does great on hardwood up to 5/4” thick, plywood, and melamine, but thick leg stock is where it slows down a bit. Have you tried your rip blade on anything that thick?
Thanks again

#6 posted 03-01-2011 02:43 PM

My issue is not length, but the width. The 1/2” version (I think) was too wide to sit in the pulley.

View jayman7's profile

jayman7

#7 posted 03-01-2011 04:09 PM

I got the thin kerf of this blade and yes it’s amazing.

#8 posted 03-01-2011 04:52 PM

Tyler, if you’re really interested in the v-link belt you might want to try http://www.mcmaster.com and see if they have a pulley that will replace your current one.

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

#9 posted 03-01-2011 06:38 PM

Tyler, V-links can be purchased in 3/8th as well. Not sure about your pulley width, but I do know they are not limited to just 1/2 inch these days.

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

#10 posted 03-01-2011 08:58 PM

Thanks for the info everybody. I’m not sure what size my pulleys are, but its good to know options are out there.

#11 posted 03-02-2011 01:23 PM

Yes , my comment was referring to the various widths , not the length …obviously if you use a link belt , you can make it any length you want.

View mnpete's profile

mnpete

#12 posted 03-02-2011 02:22 PM

I’ve got this same blade and it cuts beautiful 1/8 inch groves with a clean, flat bottom. My Dad sent it to me to cut corner slots in boxes for keys/splines. I just used it recently for the grooves to recieve box bottoms and, temperatures permitting, I’ll be cutting those corner slots for splines this week. Here’s me using the blade.

Pete

-- Follow my woodworking adventures in The Second Wind Workshop, http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/

View blockhead's profile

blockhead

1452 posts in 2031 days

#13 posted 03-02-2011 09:18 PM

I’ve had mine for about a year now and have cut lots of stock. It’s still super sharp and does an awesome job of ripping and cutting splines. This one offers plenty of bang for the buck.

-- Brad, Oregon- The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

View JimNEB's profile

JimNEB

#14 posted 03-03-2011 06:07 AM

I can agree with the above posts on the Freud blade. I’ve been using it for about six months now and it does a fine job. I also have the full kerf combo blade which is also a good value.

-- Jim, Nebraska