Makita BHP454

Review by phtools posted 02-27-2011 01:51 AM 3691 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makita BHP454 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This has to be the best hammer/drill/driver that i’ve ever used.

It’s power/weight combo is perfect. I could use this drill all day without being fatigued and the battery would keep on going.

Drilling 1 1/4” holes with speedbore max bits does not pose a problem for this drill. It eats through lumber with ease.
This drill easily drills in 3/16” holes in concrete (just as fast as our corded hammer drill) to drive in anchors and it doesn’t take much to drill up to an 1” holes in masonry (not quite as fast as the corded but very convenient to not have a cord)

The added handle is NEEDED in most cases, with all the power it could easily rip the drill out of your hand.

As others have noted, i’ve experienced the “chuck wobble” but I’ve also noticed this on all of the other drills that my co-workers have, from dewalt to milwaukee, they all seem to have a little bit of wobble, maybe it’s somewhat normal in a hammer/drill/driver?

This drill has convinced me to purchase alot of other 18v lxt makita stuff and all of it has proven to be great stuff. From the recip. saw to the new btd144 impact drill, plus the LED lights on these tools comes in handy quite often!

Also own and love the Makita lxfd01cw 18V

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1971 posts in 2219 days

#1 posted 02-27-2011 11:16 PM

I have several of the Makita 18V LXT tools. I like them all and will continue to purchase this line as a need arises. I’ve had the 14.4 volt line of Makita with NMH batteries. Liked them too, just wanted to upgrade and had a chance to sell my entire collection. Last year I decided to get a new pair of batteries and an extra charger to leave in the shop full time. The more I looked, I realized I could buy another tool kit for $30.00 more and have two new tools. This hammer drill and another 1/4 in impact driver. NO BRAINER!!! I haven’t even used the extra driver yet but the extra charger is fantastic. I’ve dropped the old driver off my roof, on the shop floor etc without any noticeable damage or degraded performance. I never realized how handy a cordless sawzall would be. Doesn’t do near the work of my Milwaukee corded super sawzall but dang it gets where you need to go without a cord, especially in crawl spaces or out in remote sites.
You made a great purchase. Good luck with the rest.
BTKS

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View Ollie's profile

Ollie

146 posts in 2029 days

#2 posted 02-28-2011 11:31 PM

I must agree that these drills are awesome, mine is bhp 451 .
I have almost all the makita 18v lithium ion 18v kit. I have had this drill since they first came on the market, must be almost 5 years old now, used and abused every day. I am still using the original battery (though now i have 6 in total ) . I have never had any trouble with any of my Makita tools except I once melted the brushes in the 18v circular saw, it was my own fault as I was cutting loads of thick mahogany and I was in a hurry, but it just cost me £17 to have new brushes fitted.
Not cheap but worth every penny.

-- Ollie, UK.

View Arthur80's profile

Arthur80

#3 posted 03-01-2011 08:45 AM

You can’t go wrong with the Makita 18V LXT tools. Plus their tools are reasonably priced.

Some other brands of hammer drills score a little higher at some sites –
Hammer Drill Ratings .

Personally I love their regular drill/drivers as they all rate very high. Cordless Drill Ratings

View devann's profile

devann

#4 posted 04-16-2011 06:36 PM

Hammer drills with dedicated hammer drill chucks do not wobble. Try a SDS or a spline. The bits are better and last longer too.

-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with