Senco pc1010 air compressor

Review by phtools posted 02-25-2011 09:17 AM 6256 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Senco pc1010 air compressor No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

OK, a little play on words there, but the truth is that this small compressor is great.Know what you are buying, and then rate it from that point of view. I’ve seen people here say that this Senco is too small, lacks enough reserve air so it doesn’t keep starting to recycle, and all sorts of other comments which show they have no idea of what they are talking about. You don’t buy a Prius, or a Smart Car, to use as a tow truck, and you don’t buy a small compressor like this to run roofing or framing guns. That’s just flat out dumb.I have a large, very heavy, twin tank Emglo compressor for that,which I’ve owned for almost 20 years, with no issues at all.I bought this Senco for small jobs, where I just need a regular trim gun, or my brad nailer.I have already used this to trim out a small renovation, and it was perfect to attach extension jambs,baseboards, and casing. It is quiet as could be, and so light and compact that it was a breeze to put in my truck, and move around inside the job site. The smaller Makita compressor really isn’t this small, and it’s very heavy. The Porter Cable pancake compressors are alot bulkier and really noisy as hell.However, if you need to run more than one gun at a time, or to do alot of continous nailing, they are probably a better choice. This Senco really isn’t designed for, or well suited to heavy production trim crews in my opinion. However,I couldn’t be happier with this purchase for MY NEEDS. The moral of this: IF YOU WANT A FRAMING COMPRESSOR,OR A PRODUCTION TOOL,BUY A LARGER HEAVY DUTY COMPRESSOR.IF YOU WANT A SMALL, LIGHT, EASY TO CARRY TRIM COMPRESSOR FOR SMALL JOBS, BUY THIS LITTLE SENCO UNIT.
BTW, the trim guns that I own are also Sencos, and I’ve had them for about 20 years too. Never a problem with either one.I’ve heard good things about the new Hitachi guns and I may get one of them because it can use 2 1/2 inch nails, where my Senco only goes up to 2 inch.I’ve used Bostitch guns before, and I really dislike them immensely. Lots of misfires and jams.
I have been a carpenter for 35 years, and a Union Carpenter for 25. I’ve had experience using virtually every brand of compressor and nail gun on the market.It sure helps to be able to actually try it out before you buy something.I hope this will help someone else make sensible choices for their needs.

-- http://www.myphtools.com

View phtools's profile

phtools

View Sawkerf's profile

Sawkerf

#1 posted 02-25-2011 03:56 PM

In December, I replaced a 1 gal Campbell-Hausfeld pancake compressor with the Senco and absolutely love it. My site work is all light trim work, and a lightweight compressor is more than adequate. The C-H did a great job, but was way too noisy. When the Senco fires up, you can still hear the radio. – lol

-- Adversity doesn't build character...................it reveals it.

View nailbanger2's profile

nailbanger2

#2 posted 02-25-2011 04:39 PM

This compressor is so light that in houses I just carry it from outlet to outlet and use a 10’ coiled (slinky) hose. This helps a ton when the room is furnished.

-- Wish I were Norm's Nephew

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

#3 posted 02-25-2011 09:22 PM

Thanks for the review. One of the difficult things when evaluating other people’s experiences is gauging how they used the machine in the first place. Light duty machines are often unfairly judged because they can’t keep up with heavy use production work. Tools should only be judged in accordance with the capabilities they were designed for.

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View jm64's profile

jm64

#4 posted 02-26-2011 01:50 AM

I have one of these. I sold my 6.5 hp 30gal Craftsman and bought the Senco from Amazon. It’s quiet and light. I usually use it with my Brad nailer and it works just fine. I did use it with my framing nailer for a project and it worked OK for that too. I’m sure it wouldn’t keep up for a framing or a roofing crew, but if you just need to put in a few dozen nails it works just fine.

Since this is a small compressor it also works just fine on a 15 amp circuit. My bigger craftsman would sometimes blow the breaker if something else was on in anything less than a 20 amp circuit.

-- Joe, Cumming, GA

View GaryL's profile

GaryL

#5 posted 02-27-2011 05:33 PM

I have a small Campbell Hausfield that is the same class as your Senco. Small and portable, quick and light, perfect for those quick in and out jobs or where your simply not shooting alot. Keeps up with a brad nailer or pin nailer with no problem.
They are what they are and need to be used within their limits.
Great review and I’m also a carpenter with 31 years under the tool belt.

-- Gary; Marysville, MI...Involve your children in your projects as much as possible, the return is priceless.

View Domer's profile

Domer

248 posts in 2063 days

#6 posted 03-06-2011 04:02 PM

I have this compressor as well. I have even used it with my framing nailer when building small projects. You just have to let it recharge if you pull the trigger too many times in a row.

It is what it is, a small portable air compressor. Not designed to be a production machine but great at what it does.

Domer

View hayabura's profile

hayabura

#7 posted 02-13-2013 02:08 AM

View Bullet's profile

Bullet

150 posts in 2026 days

#8 posted 05-28-2013 08:06 PM

I’m looking at picking one of these up. Do you think it’s a good fit for installing hardwood flooring?

-- Anything is possible when you have no idea what you're talking about.

View Dilon's profile

Dilon

#9 posted 09-09-2014 03:06 AM

Senco Air Compressor is another great air compressor for small projects—In short and sweet lines, I can say, it’s portable, low-key and made for small types projects. Been using this air compressor from couple of years and working great to me.

Dilon