Affordable Drum sanding Finally

Review by sawblade1 posted 02-25-2011 06:28 AM 8074 views 2 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Affordable Drum sanding Finally Affordable Drum sanding Finally Affordable Drum sanding Finally Click the pictures to enlarge them

Today I received this little guy in my shop :) Drum sanders are expensive especially conveyor fed ones however Grizzly’s new 10” drum sander fits the bill at 345.00 and put it into the range of most average woodworkers. To have one is a luxury but a well deserved one. The sander left the boards smooth and scratch and track mark free. I set mine up with 180 grit paper instead of the 80 grit it came with. I only give it five stars with a few exceptions. On the sander I received there was a few bugs with the conveyor that took me most of the evening to fix, the main bug was the belt had no power and then when you added tension the gear had a knocking sound after looking at the exploded diagram It was no more than a simple CV or universal coupling needed adjusting, then I was able to go back and track the belt properly, the other bugs were I had several bad bolts (threads) and putting the paper on the drum takes a lot of patience the first time :) However the sander overall is a great sander and performer. I believe these to be first run bugs and will not be affecting others I hope but for the price I could not beat it. I recommend it to anyone who wants a drum sander GET ONE :)

-- Proverbs Ch:3 vs 5,6,7 Trust in the lord with all thine heart and lean not unto your own understanding but in all your ways aknowledge him and he shall direct your path elmerthomas81@neo.rr.com

View sawblade1's profile

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View X541's profile

X541

#2 posted 02-25-2011 06:48 AM

I didn’t know this unit was around, it would work nicely with my Jet 10in Jointer Planer combo.

View twokidsnosleep's profile

twokidsnosleep

#3 posted 02-25-2011 07:30 AM

Good buy, nicely done.
I am lusting for the GO459P…12” white drum sander matches my bandsaw

-- Scott "Some days you are the big dog, some days you are the fire hydrant"

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

#4 posted 02-25-2011 03:15 PM

I could not live without my drum sander (24” dual head.)

Congrats!

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#5 posted 02-25-2011 04:50 PM

That sure is a great price- I wonder why they didn’t just make it 2” wider to match the average planer. It couldn’t have raised the price much, and 10 inches is a bit small. But at less than $350, you can’t beat it.

View bigike's profile

bigike

4031 posts in 1954 days

#6 posted 02-25-2011 06:46 PM

thanks for the info I looked at one of these but I still might go with a build of my own just to get a bigger size one I know all I need is a little one like this but it’s what I want.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

#7 posted 02-25-2011 07:01 PM

Congrats great score! I have the 18” V drum sander and love it!

Enjoy!!!!

View David "Lucky Dawg" Brown's profile

David "Lucky Dawg" Brown

#8 posted 02-25-2011 08:09 PM

I want one and also agree with the white!
I love the polar bear series!
Grizzly rules!

-- dumpster diver delux

View wiswood2's profile

wiswood2

#9 posted 02-25-2011 09:36 PM

thanks for the reviue.now I can order one, I was wateing for some body to reviue one .I have 11 other grizzly tools. It will fet right in with the other green tools.
Chuck

-- Chuck, wiswood2 www.wisconsinwoodchuck.com

View PetVet's profile

PetVet

#10 posted 02-25-2011 11:04 PM

You will love having a drum sander, good score.
One thing I did to my Perfomax was to purchase the hook and loop kit that Grizzly sells. You cut the loop with the same angle as your paper and stick it to the drum. You then can use the hook and loop paper sold in rolls. I buy it in bulk and cut it to fit. Makes changing paper a breeze, the paper doesn’t stretch or overlap as it can without the hook and loop. No burn marks, and my sandpaper is lasting twice as long. It was a cheap upgrade, and you save a lot on the sandpaper by buying it in rolls.

-- Rich in Richmond -- Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

View SonnyGarcia's profile

SonnyGarcia

#11 posted 02-26-2011 12:05 AM

Cool. Thanks for posting. I need a sanding solution, this is a good start in my search. God bless- Prov 3:5 to you too!

-- "Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed", John 8:36

#12 posted 02-26-2011 12:54 AM

Pictures are kind of dark , but I think I’m seeing a bracket or support on the opposite side of the motor….is that a closed end there or can you sand wider than 10” by rotating your board ?
Thanks

View sawblade1's profile

sawblade1

#13 posted 02-26-2011 01:17 AM

Grizzly’s website and big book says you can remove this bracket and sand up to 20” but the owners manual is against doing it due to the head possibly moving out of alignment Use your own judgment me personally I wont be sanding anything wider than 8.5 inches so this works out fine for now plus I don’t have the room for larger right now :)

#14 posted 02-27-2011 04:57 AM

Very nice, and very tempting to pick one up at that price..

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Raymond's profile

Raymond

#15 posted 02-28-2011 08:10 PM

I have been looking at the same unit I think I will get one myself. Good Review….Thanks

-- Ray