Diamond sharpening Kit

Review by dbray45 posted 1146 days ago 4375 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Diamond sharpening Kit No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This kit came with 4 “stones” – actually 4 steel plates.

The extra course is a little smoother than road surface. When I used this to flatten my 8000 grit water stone, I found that my flattening stone has been worn to a point that is no longer flat. When you get these, sharpen a piece of steel or something hard where you are not looking for that pristine mirror finish. I made a blade for a radius plane – thank Mads for this, the blade is now done – and went to work on this. At first there where a few deeper scratches but that has worked itself out and the stones are cutting smooth. These use water and a touch of soap to remove filings. You can use them dry but the filings will actually make the cutting irregular versus using water.

I have used water stones and oil stones before that – most of my life. The reason I took the jump was that the water stones when they dry out crack and break in half. This gets expensive. I have a broken 400 git stone now and DMT says that these should work in a commercial shop with daily use for about 20 years, will sharpen steel, carbide, and even clean up a glass edge – hmmm, diamond stone – probably will.

After flattening my 8000 stone, I started working on chisels. Most of you are well aware of trying to sharpen a chipped blade and the first couple of passes can really mess up a flat stone – gouge it like crazy. These are heavy steel plates and they do not gouge easily – or at least they didn’t for me, I tried.

Because the kit has 4 different grits, the transition to sharpen is fast – be careful with the extra course, it can leave some good scratches that are hard to remove.

I bought these from Sharpening Supplies on line. Everyone else that offered them had a higher price. Even though they said they were in stock, they were backordered for about a week. The web page is http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/DMT-8-Dia-Sharp-Diamond-Kit-P405C24.aspx

For 4 stones that should outlast most regular sharpening stones several times over and a whole lot of sandpaper – don’t drop them, they’ll break the floor and your foot, the price is pretty reasonable.

View swirt's profile

swirt

1912 posts in 1470 days

Thanks for this review. I have been contemplating them for a while now.

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com

View TJU's profile

TJU

I just got the extra extra fine for my B-day but it has not yet been conditioned. could I use some fine grit sand paper?
Tim

-- Although the voices aren't real they have some pretty good ideas.

dbray45

I have one of those too but only used it once so far. From what they tell me, should be ready to go out of the box. I spoke with them today, I was told that the XXFine does not produce a mirror finish like my waterstone does and is a true 8000 grit. Using diamonds to create a mirror finsh would require the 15K paste. I did not not want to review that stone until I spoke with them to make sure I was doing right. I was – its just different from what I am used to.

I also asked if I could use shaving cream instead of water with the finer stones – don’t laugh, I have an old razer hone that my barber gave me on the day he hung up his strop (he gave me that also). He said that I could use water but for a straight razer, to make it really sharp, use shaving cream on the stone – he was right.

I did notice a big difference in how the stones cut when I added dishwasher soap to the water.

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

2256 posts in 2025 days

I just received a DMT DuoSharp (Fine/ExtraFine) from Sharpening Supplies today. I was impressed with the quality of the packaging and the speed of the free shipping. Their price was about 10% less than the next lowest price. I will surely be buying more from Sharpening Supplies.

-- “A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory.” ― Mark Twain

View hokieman's profile

hokieman

I got a Diasharp course to flatten my water stones. When I used it to flatten my 8000 it clogged up and became smooth as glass. water washing would not unclog it. One craftsman in Texas suggested using Comet to clean it. It restored it somewhat but if you are thinking of using Diasharp for water stone flattening, I would suggest using the DuoSharp. I think the “mesh” structure would not clog up as quickly.

Also, the DiaSharp was awesome for restoring primary bevels and flattening the back of plane irons and chisels until it clogged up. Now it doesn’t cut nearly as well. I might have ruined it.

dbray45

I used the stone dry and used a towel whin it started to clog. The powder came right off.