Used Jet JJ-6CS jointer, seems to be a bargain

Review by ic3ss posted 02-22-2011 05:17 AM 8545 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Used Jet JJ-6CS jointer, seems to be a bargain Used Jet JJ-6CS jointer, seems to be a bargain Used Jet JJ-6CS jointer, seems to be a bargain Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked this up from a Craigslist ad recently for $200. SCORE!! I wanted the CSX with 1 hp motor, but this one will do. And with this being about half the going price for a newer CSX, I can put that money towards some chisels or a shoulder plane. Looks like it’s seen some action, I had to clean a bunch of surface rust from the fence and tables. A thorough cleaning did wonders, and now I need to pull the knives and get them sharpened. Everything seems to work fine, even the bearings are in good shape. The only snag is that the safety guard was missing. I downloaded the manual and I think I’ll get the parts on order for that. I guess it was a bargain for a reason. No biggie, a jointer is a pretty simple machine so it’s something I can work on.

Thanks for reading, and have a great day.

-Wayne

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

View tomd's profile

tomd

#1 posted 02-22-2011 06:00 AM

Looks like you made a realy good deal on a good machine.

-- Tom D

View fisherdoug09's profile

fisherdoug09

#2 posted 02-22-2011 02:30 PM

Thats a good find. I am checking Craigs list daily for a jointer and a Jet drum sander. Not much luck though. They seem to go right away. Doug

5387 posts in 1979 days

#3 posted 02-22-2011 05:49 PM

Jointers, except 4” models, and the old Craftsman models seem to get snapped up really fast around here. You managed to get a good deal on a decent older machine… Hard to tell from your pics though, kind of dark in there…. Looks like it just needs some cleaning, sharpening, and maybe a little bit of paint…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View TJU's profile

TJU

#4 posted 02-22-2011 05:50 PM

I’m going to put my jj-6csx on craigs list today. It is only 6 years old and runs great. Extra set of knives and a mobile base. How much should I ask? $300?? Grand Rapids MI.
I hope you like your jointer, mine has been great. I’m only selling it because I upgraded to an 8” jointer.
Tim

-- Although the voices aren't real they have some pretty good ideas.

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

#5 posted 02-22-2011 09:39 PM

TJU,

Depending on condition and age, I’ve been seeing them on Craigslist for mostly between $300 – $450. The newer white ones are at the upper end of this scale, and I’ve seen one that was asking $650 but he said it was new still in the box. New, they price at $750, so if it’s in good shape and only six years old, I”d ask between $400 – $450 and go from there.

These prices are what I’m seeing in Oregon. You’re local market may be different.

wayne

15304 posts in 1936 days

#6 posted 02-23-2011 08:26 PM

Nice score! Congrats to you!

#7 posted 02-10-2012 04:20 PM

This is too funny, I’m going to look at this Jointer tonight from a guy re-selling it on Craig’s list.

Serial numbers match !

#8 posted 02-10-2012 04:21 PM

This Jointer gets around, I’m in Michigan.

#9 posted 02-10-2012 04:22 PM

I just joined Lumberjocks today.

View TeeQue's profile

TeeQue

#10 posted 10-24-2014 01:23 AM

Just bought this same Jointer from a widow it is in great shape and the only flaw I found is that the springs are missing from the blade mounts. Will have to order some now along with some new knives. Only paid $175 and drove to Hickory NC from Columbia SC. Nice ride and was able to swing into Klingsport Woodworker Supply too. Way to much fun that day.

-- Tom, SCarolina, Learning the Hardway!